Grady County Farmer Celebrates 100th Birthday

By: Caroline Gonzmart Email
By: Caroline Gonzmart Email

Grady County, Ga -- 10/6/2011 -- 11:25PM --

For most of us, living to 100 is a pipe dream.

But for W. Holmes Maxwell, turning the big '100' was like any other birthday.

'Mr. Holmes,' as his friends and neighbors call him, was born on September 28, 1911 - in the house he still calls home.

And his advice to someone who wants to live to be his age is pretty simple.

Maxwell explains, "Well, I'd tell them not to smoke, and not to drink any beverages, or anything, and to eat vegetables and stuff."

You'd think Maxwell might have stopped farming when he turned 80 -- or at least 90.

But the sprightly centenarian never even entertained the notion of retiring.

His grandson and farm manager, Jason Lodge, says he has a unique relationship with his grandfather.

Explains Lodge, "Not many people have had a 100-year-old boss man. I have."

As for politics and the world today? Maxwell has a keen opinion on those, too.

He says, "You take our senators and all, and - I hate to say it - but they go around with their hands behind their back to see how much money can be put in 'em."

Maxwell says he doesn't have any concrete plans for his 101st birthday.

Family members say they wouldn't be surprised if he outlived them all.

Maxwell's farm will be recognized tomorrow (10/7) with a Georgia Centennial Farm Award.

The award recognizes farms that have continued producing commodities over the past 100 years.

• by Andrea Location: Atlanta on Jan 16, 2012 at 08:56 AM
    It was an amazing birthday!! The memories he shares...would blow your mind.
  • by GA LADY Location: THOMASVILLE, GA. on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    HAPPPY BIRTHDAY AND THATS A BLESSING TO SEE THE AGE 100 I PRAY TO GOD THAT I AM ABLE TO SEE THAT AGE. I WISH YOU MANY MANY MANY MANY.MAY GOD BLESS YOU....!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY
  • by Ed and Bonnie Standley Location: Havana on Oct 8, 2011 at 04:57 PM
    Hap Hap Happy Birthday to you Mr.Holems. You are one amazing person. A banana pudding is coming your way very soon. Ed Standley respects and loves you very much. Thanks for being a true friend.
  • by Birthday wish on Oct 7, 2011 at 01:45 PM
    I wish him a very Happy Birthday... yes enjoy every moment you have with your loved one. I wish him health and good wishes.
  • by Chris Location: T'ville on Oct 7, 2011 at 08:01 AM
    Now this is a great story! Why can't all the news be phenomenal? Nice work WCTV!
  • by Cairo Location: Cairo on Oct 7, 2011 at 06:27 AM
    He is a True Blessing! He is a man of Honor, Respect, and Truth! Sometimes he's a little TOO truthful! lol It's a True HONOR to be blessed knowing Mr. Holmes all my life!
  • by Angeleyes Location: TALLY HO on Oct 7, 2011 at 05:29 AM
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR HOLMES. I sure hope your family realizes how lucky they are to have had you around this long. I sure wish my grandaddy was still here.
  • by Dalphyne Location: Tallahassee on Oct 7, 2011 at 05:28 AM
    Good morning Mr. Maxwell and Happy Birthday to you. Enjoy your day because you are truly blessed to be 100 and able to work. You are doing a lot of right things.
  • by Helen Location: Calvary on Oct 7, 2011 at 04:34 AM
    Mr. Holmes is a wonderful person and is always a joy to talk to. He has seen many changes thur out our community and a head full of knowledge and great storys. You have really miss something if you have never talk to him.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 7, 2011 at 04:28 AM
    Bless him for being so active at 100. I bet he has been a good teacher to his family from his life experiences. My Dad was also born June 8, 1911 but he died after a long illness and life support in 1989.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131305574 - wctv.tv/a?a=131305574