WCTV | Tallahassee, Thomasville, Valdosta | News, Weather, Sports

[UPDATE] House Burns on Magnolia Street in Valdosta

By: Gabrielle Sarann Email
By: Gabrielle Sarann Email

[UPDATE] 2/14 at 5:36 p.m. --

The fire that engulfed 512 Magnolia Street started from an electrical short in the living room, not in the kitchen, as originally reported, said Valdosta Fire Chief JD Rice.

Investigators believe old wiring sparked the fire that nearly destroyed the house.

Officials say the American Red Cross has placed the eight people living in the home in temporary housing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

An eight-person rental home in Valdosta goes up in flames.

At 2:28 p.m. Sunday, firefighters responded to a structure fire at 521 Magnolia Street, according to Battalion Chief Ralph Catlett, of the Valdosta Fire Department.

Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen but are not releasing further details.

Eighteen firefighters knocked down the flames and continue to investigate the scene.

They say no injuries are reported.

"Upon arrival we had heavy fire and smoke vent through the roof of the back of the structure," said Catlett. "Turns out of the structure. We were in a firefighting mode of operation."

Fire investigators say they're now in the salvage and overhaul phase, trying to save whatever parts of the house they can.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116123139 - wctv.tv/a?a=116123139