Inmates in Georgia Prisons Coordinate Protest

By: Gabrielle Sarann Email
By: Gabrielle Sarann Email

Valdosta State Prison is one of 11 state facilities where inmates are petitioning for workers' compensation, more access to their families and improved health care, among other requests.

Since Thursday, prisoners have been holding non-violent demonstrations by staying in their cells and refusing to work.

Yesterday, the Georgia Chapter of the NAACP rallied at the Capitol urging state lawmakers to take action.

• by Lisa Location: Georgia on Mar 6, 2011 at 04:17 AM
    Well husband was in Autry State prison where the officer would not take him to medical when he was having a heart attack and if I had not got in touch with right one in Atlanta then my husband could be dead now.My husband maybe just a number to them but he is my whole world and I will stop at nothing to get to the bottom of it.I will own Georgia before I am done.This is wrong just because they are in jail does not mean they can be done anyway.Lisa fighting til the end.
  • by criminals Location: everywhere on Dec 16, 2010 at 05:26 PM
    Well, I thought that when you get convicted of a crime and are serving time, you have also LOST your rights.Ie,felons dont get to own a gun or vote. So the healthcare may be bad, but why did you put yourself in that place anyways? Wow, it amazes me all the people that are so standing up for what is foolish,to even think about it for one minute of your life. IF YOUR IN JAIL YOU GOT NO RIGHTS OR PRIVELAGES!
  • by Michael Location: Florida on Dec 15, 2010 at 08:09 PM
    As a RETIRED CORRECTIONAL OFFICER IN FLORIDA I can say this. In order to be placed in a State prison at least in Florida you have to be sentenced to a year and a day. Anything less than that you spend it in a county jail. I'm sure it's that way in Georgia. Do you realize at least 75% of convicted felons has been on probation,community service and pay fines before you advance to the big house. In other words folks society does everything they can to prevent you in going to a State prison. Of course, it depends on your crime, that's common sense. While in prison you can get additional time for violations of State law. For example, escapee, assault on an inmate or correctional employee, rape of an inmate or employee and so forth. Yes I admit it's very tough on inmates families, they didn't break the law but, it's rough on them.But,WHAT ABOUT THE VICTIMS,it's very tough on them. Anyone can be set up by anybody, that's a known fact, hard as heck to prove otherwise.
  • by Laura Location: Georgia on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Marble, I am very sorry that your family members have not received the correction they needed during incarceration. Unfortunately, our prisons (at least the ones in Georgia) are not made for correction. My loved one does not drink, smoke, and has never seen an illegal drug until his incarceration. He just stays on his bunk and reads when he is not at work. The classes he is supposed to take to qualify for parole have a long waiting list. I don't know which Holiday Inn some of these people think are prisons. But, he has not been offered college classes and he has not been in Air Conditioned or Heated Prisons. There maybe one dorm that has heating or air out of 8-10 dorms in the prison. I would also not wish the "health care" they have on senior citizens. Thank God that he has protected my loved one in there. There are many that are injured (or killed) daily by other inmates (some of those ones who deserve to be there). Just remember it could be you or your loved one.
  • by angry Location: GA on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    "Dee", you don't have to break the law to be incarcerated. I agree with "Saddened', who said that anyone can accuse you of anything at anytime. Some were even told not to work by the guards on the day of the protest. It is sad that this world has come to the point that anyone who is accused, and has a crooked judge can be given outrageous sentences. Just because someone is in prison does not mean that they are awful people who have committed heinous crimes. Some are in there on ridiculous charges. This is especially easy when you live in a backwoods area with the "Good Ole Boy Network" firmly in place.
  • by me Location: ga on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    I agree with Laura and angry.
  • by Seriously Location: Cairo on Dec 14, 2010 at 08:25 PM
    After reading this all I can say is "Are you seriously?" You are in jail for a reason not a mini vacation! Taxes is what pays for them to be in jail. Now they want more! Seriously.. what else you want a steak dinner and a flat screen? You broke the law so you do the time!
  • by Dee Location: Tallahassee on Dec 14, 2010 at 07:23 PM
    Hey "angry" - we're not incarcerated because we don't break the law. Don't expect us to feel sorry for these prisoners. If they don't like it in prison, good; it's not supposed to be fun. If they refuse to work, they shouldn't eat. Even the Bible says so.
  • by Saddened Location: Georgia on Dec 14, 2010 at 06:57 PM
    It makes me sad to think that we as human beings have no heart to understand others who are not as fortunate. Jesus became man for us all, and we need to have a heart for all the prisoners whether guilty or not. One day without committing a crime you too might be in there. Believe me, all that has to happen is someone accuse you of something and if the law is crooked and you have no pull you will go to prison.
  • by marble Location: GA on Dec 14, 2010 at 05:53 PM
    Having had family incarcerated, and some still are. I empathize with "angry" and "laura". And my family members all deserved to be there 4/4. #1 has been in 15 yrs, has contraband phone, harrasses us with it. #2 is on probation and has returned to drug use. #3 has moved past it and is now successful. #4 is incarcerated, has contraband ph, has tried to get family to leave illegal drugs on his work detail, also harrasses with ph. There are corrupt people everywhere, and eventually all of them pay a price. Who will you choose to release and house? Child molesters, drug abusers, murderers, thieves, register for jury duty and you decide.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111871589 - wctv.tv/a?a=111871589