Local Business Targeted by Thieves Nine Times in One Year

By: Matt Galka Email
By: Matt Galka Email

Thomasville, GA -- June 5, 2012 --

Barwick Signs and Designs has a big problem on their hands.

"I've been broken into 9 times since last June," said owner Keith Taylor.

Taylor is still picking up the pieces from the latest break-in at the end of May.

"They've taken hats, quantities of hats, they've taken preprinted stuff, I've already had to replace all my power tools twice," explained Taylor.

Taylor claims help from law enforcement has been hard to get.
He says the Barwick Police Department, Brooks and Thomas County Sheriff's Office are all being uncooperative, even failing to collect evidence.

Barwick Police Chief Anthony Barfield declined comment until he received permission from City Hall, which was closed.

"When Chief Barfield called Thomas County and asked them to come process the crime scene for him on my second break-in, they refused stating there was a rift between them and the Brooks County Sheriff's office," said Taylor.

The Thomas County Sheriff's office says that claim is news to them.

"We have a good working relationship with every sheriff's office that touches Thomas County. As long as I've been here I've never had a problem working with any jurisdiction," said Cpt. Steve Jones of the Thomas County Sheriff's Office.

As for Taylor, he feels like he has run out of options.

"I guess I need to do what I need to do to protect my interests, because everything I own is tied up in this business."

• by Deja Vu on Jun 7, 2012 at 06:15 PM
    Whoa! Didn't Zimmerman make the same statement ?
  • by Jake on Jun 7, 2012 at 04:41 PM
    Sounds like he made the local cops mad and their relatives are cashing in.
  • by REALLY??? on Jun 7, 2012 at 07:10 AM
    TAMMIE is right....most crimes such as this are committed by black males. Wake up people...you would like to think the whole world is in harmony. Just wait.
  • by Thomasville Location: Thomasville on Jun 6, 2012 at 04:47 PM
    Wouldn't the people in the community all chip in. Hey everybody, take turns spending the nights there. I'm sure a small business can't afford the type of protection provided by private groups like that. Community Join Hands, please help this buisness it is your community.
  • by would not be the first time Location: ga on Jun 6, 2012 at 01:34 PM
    sounds like the police might be involved.
      by bubba on Jun 7, 2012 at 04:44 AM in reply to would not be the first time
      there probley a good chance of that.
  • by Tallahassee Resident on Jun 6, 2012 at 08:22 AM
    Sounds like they need to do the sort of burglary resistance found in extremely high-crime areas like Tallahassee or Mexico: rolling steel shutters on all the doors and windows, accompanied by bollards to prevent driving in.
      by Dee on Jun 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM in reply to Tallahassee Resident
      Nah, just sleep inside your business with your firearm and trusty pit bull. Cheaper and more satisfying!
      by Georgia Law on Jun 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM in reply to Tallahassee Resident
      If I am reading the Georgia laws correctly (this section is very clearly written), it is unambiguously clear that the business owner has the right to use deadly force we they to be inside the business when the thugs forcibly entered. Roll up doors, steel shutters, paint bombs, dogs, all that stuff *might* work. But I'll guarantee you that if you blow a softball sized hole through a couple of these thugs magic will happen. There won't be any more break in's, there will not be a thug within a mile of the place, daylight or dark.
  • by uh duh! on Jun 6, 2012 at 07:42 AM
    I erred before saying to notify FDLE when it should have been the GBI...
      by echols county resident on Jun 6, 2012 at 01:31 PM in reply to uh duh!
      the gbi is worthless to. my home was broken to i called them they took my no. and said they would call back. NEVER HEARD FROM THEM.
  • by Uh duh.. on Jun 6, 2012 at 07:34 AM
    It's not just time to stand your ground, but time to protect your castle away from home... FDLE should also be notified and the non responsive law units should lose their acredidation. That's their job protect and serve..
      by IJS on Jun 6, 2012 at 01:57 PM in reply to Uh duh..
      does't FDLE stand for FLORIDA department of law enforcement? How is that going to work in Georgia.....and for all the gun advocates out there...how is he going to shoot somebody if he's not there when a crime is being commited? He's going to move into his store? then he will drive himself crazy and ended up killing a customer because his trigger finger is itching.
  • by bruzer on Jun 6, 2012 at 06:12 AM
    Good tip news ill wait a month to go hit this store for some easy cash since nine others havr. Should have called Lester
  • by all to willing on Jun 6, 2012 at 05:44 AM
    hire me, ill watch your property. i would be too happy to shoot either the "meth heads" or the "ethnic" groups (yes i laughed when i typed that). some stupid comments here. not all but some are.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 157329635 - wctv.tv/a?a=157329635