Local High School Student Drowns

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

[UPDATE] 3-5 7:30 pm

A South Georgia Community prepares to say its final goodbyes to a teen who drowned in a water hole earlier this week.

Clinch County Deputies say they received an emergency call about a drowning at a holding pond on Antioch Church Road early Tuesday evening.

When they arrived, friends of 16-year-old James Clark said they were playing and swimming near the pond when James went under and never came back up.
Authorities located James' body an hour later and brought it to shore where he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fluker's funeral home says a funeral will be held Sunday at 2pm at Assembly of God Church in Homerville.
[UPDATE] 3-3 4:30 pm

"You just wish you could take back the hands of time and change things but it's not how it works," said James Clark's Friend Tray Dorsey.

A wave of emotions swept over students and staff as news of 16-year-old James' death spread through Clinch County High School.

"He was never serious about anything just always laughing and giggling about something, just happy all the time," said Dorsey. "That's why it hurt so many people."

Just after five Tuesday evening, the Clinch County Sheriff's office received an emergency call about a drowning.

When authorities arrived at the watering hole on Antioch Church Road, James' friends said they had been playing and swimming when James went under water and never came back up.

Deputies say the teen didn't know how to swim.

They located his body an hour later and brought it to shore where a coroner pronounced the young man dead.

Deputies say what makes water holes so dangerous is beyond these edges, there's no telling how deep it can be and what could lie beneath it.

"Snakes, you've got alligators, they got all kinds of animals in these holes. And if you can't swim you have to be really particular because one move and you could be over your head," said Clinch County Investigator Allen Morgan.

Clinch County High's Principal Alvin Henderson tells me James loved to run track and he always dreamed of being just as good as Usain Bolt. He also says James was a very likable student and will be missed.

Henderson says James' Funeral is planned for Sunday afternoon at 2.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[UPDATE] 3-3 11:15am --

Family, friends and classmates are mourning the loss of a Clinch County high school student who drowned in an area pond earlier this week.

Principal Alvin Henderson says Thursday morning students were actually talking. He says Wednesday was a really quiet and sad day as they worked to help grieving students cope with the death of 16 year old James Clark.

Clinch County deputies say sometime after 5 p.m. Tuesday they received a 9-1-1 call about a drowning at a holding pond on Antioch Church Road. When they arrived on scene, James' friends said they were all swimming in the pond when James went underwater and never came back up. Clinch County Sheriff Winston Peterson, a deputy and EMS officer pulled James' body from the water. A coroner later pronounced him dead at the scene.

Coming up later tonight on Eyewitness News, the school's principal will tell us more about James.

__________________________________

A Clinch County High School student drowned in a local holding pond, according to the Clinch County Sheriff’s Office. The student drowned off Antioch Road on Tuesday at around 5pm.

Stay with WCTV for updates.

• by Kay on May 5, 2011 at 07:35 AM
    He could swim. He came to my house all the time and said " you dare me to jump in the pool." And it was actually freezing outside when he said that! Last summer, my brother taught him how to swim. I still pray for his family all the time. Everytime I am by myself, i think about him walking up to the house and sitting there and talking my face off until my brother got home. I miss and love you James. I know that you know we all do! You'll be in our hearts forever, James.
  • by kobe Location: da ville on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    yea da ones dat dont know what they talkin bout needa shut up.cause it dont have nothing to do with them.special ppl that dont even live down hea or friends or even kin to him .just make me sick .STUPID PPL keep your negative comment to yourself..Butyou will be missed alot (James)We love you bra
  • by Shanquilla West on Mar 9, 2011 at 05:30 AM
    RIP JAMES... I MISS AND LOVE YOU! WISH I CAN TAKE BACK ALL THE THINGS WE BEEN THROUGH BUT GOD WENT AHEAD AND CALLED YOU HOME:( BUT NO MATTER WHAT YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE A PLACE IN MY HEART. STILL PRAYING FOR THE CLARK FAMILY
  • by pashen frankl in Location: georgia on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    Rip bae James....missn yuh
  • by KeKe on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    my prayers go out to james family and people that dont know what they are talking about need to keep thier mouth closed. Only three people know what happen and dat is james,god,and the people that was there when it happen. So if you was not there you need to keep your mouth shut and mind your bussiness. Rest In Peace James.
  • by Doris Location: Homerville on Mar 6, 2011 at 06:42 PM
    DUMMIES...that why Clinch County needs a pool . So they wont have to go to the Mud holes ... LONG OVER DO ! (BRIAN FROM TALLAHASSEE)
  • by Fredrick on Mar 6, 2011 at 04:21 PM
    First of all i blame nothing on Clinch County but i do feel strongly about our youth needs some kind of recreation place for them to be kids and learn them to be reproductive adults...I feel that if you cant swim you shouldnt submerge yourself in deep water but being kids we all do things without thinking sometimes...Hopefully the lord will put it on someones heart to feel where i am coming from i feel the youth of homerville has invested alot and theres nothing wrong in giving back to them....They are our future and will be here when were gone...I rest my case i leaves it in the hands of the LORD...Peace! COLD HEARTS ARE SO RARE THESE DAYS!
  • by Tiffany Location: Arizonna on Mar 6, 2011 at 08:33 AM
    To all those who dont live in clinch county and is not a freind or family member shouldnt be say stuff if u cant back it up...If clinch county had a pool or some king of recreational center ,we would probaly have less children going to jail and more children doing activities...JAMES CLARK WAS MY BEST FREIND .....Stopp all theses stupid comments from people who dont even know him or the story (brian)
  • by Tish Location: Va Beach, Va on Mar 5, 2011 at 05:47 PM
    First of all RIP 2 my little cousin James....I love u and miss u dearly...I'm still in shock and overwhelmed with sadness after hearing this terrible terrible news!!! I wish my entire family especially my auntie and cousins comfort and peace....I LOVE U ALL!!!! Second of Brian from Tallahassee....U r a terrible terrible person for having the audacity to comment on my first cousins death with those childish and mindless remarks!!! U ought to be ashamed of yourself and I hope u should never have to feel the pain of mourning a loved one and having to read/hear comments as disgusting as yours!!
  • by cateria on Mar 5, 2011 at 09:40 AM
    I'LL MISS YOU BIG COUSIN
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117316963 - wctv.tv/a?a=117316963