[UPDATE] Hoarder Found Dead, Buried Alive in Home

By: Donnitra Gilbert Email
By: Donnitra Gilbert Email

UPDATED 3-31 6:14 PM

"She told me to call 911, the police came out," said neighbor who called for help Marie Young.

Officers say Wednesday afternoon they responded to this home in reference to a missing man; a response that officers say turned into a shocking discovery.

"I really wasn't shocked because I felt like something was wrong but I didn't know until the man said he smelled something," said Young.

The smell described was from the decomposed body of Charlie Wilson a man friends and family said they haven't seen in weeks.

Officers said neighbors called for a welfare check and when they arrived they found a badly decayed body.

"His other cousin came by the other week but he didn't think nothing he just didn't come to the door," said Wilson's Cousin Cedric McCloud.

"I saw him a week in a half ago I asked him where he been he said he been in the house," said neighbor Bobby Davis.

Boxes, cars, garbage all piled outside Wilson's home but inside officers said was even worse.

Officers said they had to break this window and create a path in order to bring Wilson's body out ; but officers said fighting through the smell and the rubble wasn't easy.

"It's the worse one I've ever seen I haven't been in law enforcement as long but as for me personally it's the worst one I've seen," said Moultrie Police Department Corpral Dave Underwood.

Officers said the City of Moultrie has condemned Wilson's home and placed a sign there letting people know it is un-livable.

Officers said they don't expect any foul play and believe Wilson died from natural causes. Wilson was in his seventies.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Moultrie, Georgia - March 31, 2011 - Noon -

A neighbor's curious eye leads to a grim discovery in Moultrie, Georgia. A man is found buried alive in his now condemned home.

Officers say Charlie Wilson's body was found yesterday afternoon buried in mounds of possessions and trash. His neighbor's called for a welfare check because they had not seen him.

Officers say his body was badly decomposed and they believe he was stuck in the clutter for more than three weeks.

When firefighters arrived on scene they had to break through a window and fight their way through the house to find Wilson's body.

Neighbors and family members describe him and as a kind man and they were completely unaware that his living conditions were this extreme.

A bright red "condemned" sign now warns other residents that his property is unlivable.

Wilson's first cousin says that he knew Charlie liked to collect things, but had no idea the hoarding was this intense.

We'll have more tonight on Eyewitness News

• by Liz Location: USA on Feb 12, 2012 at 08:27 PM
    If the mounds of garbage, etc. fell on him (most "stacks" are HUGE), he would be under it instead of beside/on top. That's one of the dangers of hoarding, that the "stacks" will eventually fall on the hoarder & either kill them outright, or end up so injured they're unable to extricate themselves & end up dying because of it. I watch this show & "Hoarders" every week & though I have no idea how people can live like that, I also understand that it's a mental illness, just like any other. It's just more hidden, as long as nobody knows what's inside the hoarders' home (which is usually the case). I feel very sorry for this man. Nobody even knew he was dead, if he'd been there for more than 3 wks. No one should be that alone, regardless of their situation.
  • by dean Location: ga on Apr 1, 2011 at 08:34 PM
    If he was found buried under mounds of garbage and possesions who put the stuff on top of him? shouldn,t he have been found beside it or on top of it.
  • by Psych Teacher Location: Tville on Apr 1, 2011 at 08:10 PM
    Hoarding is a manifestation of OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) and is linked in part to abnormal brain chemistry. This is why it seems to run in families. These people have obsessions that they relieve through hoarding (which is the compulsion part of it). It is a type of anxiety disorder. It is a real illness and these people need support not criticism.
  • by child of hoarder Location: Crawfordville on Apr 1, 2011 at 05:36 AM
    My father was a hoarder and no matter how many times we went to help him and clean up, the house ultimately ended up the same way after a short time. He rented a 15-yard dumpster so we could "clean" for him, and had to have it emptied twice. Families can only do so much. It is just a sad situation any way you look at it.
  • by day Location: tville on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:30 PM
    to HMA are you kidding our goverment is broke now not to mention there are elderly people and veterans who served this country and cant get help. this is a sad situation but where was this mans family and friends. it is not the govt responsibility to take care of us. get a grip and lets take care of our selves and our family.
  • by Rest in Peace. Location: Tallahassee on Mar 31, 2011 at 03:53 PM
    Sad the cops and media are judging this poor soul like this. No big deal that he collected things and was not tidy in his home. Many of you are treatng him like a criminal or mental case. Collecting was his hobby and too bad that a friend or family member was not supportive enough to suggest ways to organize or downsize his collection. One man's junk is another man's treasure. He was probably a very loney man and found great pleasure in collecting relicks from his past, etc., that reminded him of a special time and place. This kind is person is often misunderstood. Sad nobody missed him enough to check on him. Rest in Peace. You have gone on to live in the Mansion in the sky and will never be alone again.
  • by HMA on Mar 31, 2011 at 03:22 PM
    I think we need to declare a "War On Hoarding", protest and demand that the gov't pass some laws to end this. These people need help, no matter the cost. We owe it to them, poor souls....
      by David on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:43 PM in reply to HMA
      Yes, let the government step in - see how soon the laws will end the hoarding! Look at all the other government-run agencies and see how much they cost the taxpayers!
      by Big Brother on Mar 31, 2011 at 07:42 PM in reply to HMA
      Don't you think we already have to many laws and to much of BIG BROTHER? We do not need the Gov't in our homes looking at what we keep even if we have a mental problem. We don't need them telling us what to eat, or telling our kids what they can or cannot eat at school. We need to get the Gov't OUT OF OUR LIVES & BUSINESS, if we die because of it then someone will burie us.
      by Sonny on Apr 1, 2011 at 04:35 AM in reply to HMA
      I know this was probably a joke when you posted it right? If not, who the hell are you to tell me what I can and cannot do in my home? Stay out of my home and my life. No, I'm not a hoarder, far from it. But I do believe it's people's right to do what they want in the house they THEY (not YOU) bought. Unless it spills outside and causes a public health hazard, I don't care what they do.
        by HMA on Apr 1, 2011 at 06:28 AM in reply to Sonny
        Yes, I was kidding.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 02:01 PM
    Not nice.
  • by just asking on Mar 31, 2011 at 01:30 PM
    I realize this is a horrific story, and sad on so many levels, but honestly, "Hoarder Found Dead, Buried Alive in Home"? doesn't buried alive imply that he's still there? Alive? and no, my views don't always reflect the views of this station.
      by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 03:13 PM in reply to just asking
      Maybe it should have said "Hoarder Buried Alive, but found dead"?
  • by Tally Mom on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    I have a family member that hoards things and its so sad. It is a mental illness and I wish they would seek help. It has been a constant problem in our family for years.
      by tal2 on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:49 PM in reply to Tally Mom
      It is a disease that many dont recognize . I too have family members that hoard items way too much stuff for what we would consider normal. Its a tough place to be in.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118995514 - wctv.tv/a?a=118995514