Mother Gets Third Degree Burns After Young Son Allegedly Starts Fire

By: Caroline Gonzmart Email
By: Caroline Gonzmart Email

Meigs Police say Teresa Reed is in 'stable' condition at the Joseph Still Burn Center in Augusta.

Officers say a fire broke out around ten o'clock Wednesday night (5/11) in Reed's apartment in Pilcher and Carter Homes community.

Police say the blaze started when Reed's five-year-old son fell asleep after playing with matches.

Now, residents say they're keeping an eye out for potential fire hazards.

Resident Ricardo Griggs witnessed the fire and says, "[Residents] are making sure there's no paper outside, making sure kids aren't playing with lighters, matches, stuff like that, and getting their houses' wiring checked out."

Residents say this is the 'second or third' time there's been a fire at the victim's apartment.

The Meigs Police Department says Reed's son and boyfriend both escaped without injury.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous Location: meigs,ga on May 12, 2011 at 06:53 PM
    for 1 the parents were asleep, and for 2 you can't say anything about them if you don't know how the child is like. it was an accident and i am sorry it happened but things happen. my prayers go out to the family. yes i understand the fact he nor any other child should be playing with that my cause harm or damage. my god bless
  • by ga Location: cairo, ga on May 12, 2011 at 04:56 PM
    somebody is not keeping an eye open on this child.playing w/matches or a lighter can really mess things up.gotta watch them all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121736634 - wctv.tv/a?a=121736634
Gray Television, Inc.