New Georgia License Plates Available Starting Monday

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

ATLANTA (AP) -- May 6, 2012

Georgia's new license plates will be available statewide starting Monday.

The Georgia Department of Revenue says license plates issued prior to December 1, 2003, will be replaced either when owners renew their vehicle registration or when they register a vehicle for the first time. License plates issued after December 1, 2003 will be replaced.

The new car tag, designed by Linda Sosebee of Forsyth, was chosen from among 500 entries in a contest last year and features peaches in the foreground against a backdrop of green hills.

The contest drew controversy last year after confusion arose over whether the motto "In God We Trust" would be on the new car tag. People will have the option of adding the religious motto to the tag for free starting July 1.

• by Stewart Location: Valdosta on May 20, 2012 at 09:55 AM
    Does Georgia offer vanity plates. If so, how can I get it.
  • by mike Location: thomasville on May 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    "IN GOD WE TRUST" isn't a "religious motto" it is the National Motto.
      by DD on May 7, 2012 at 03:35 PM in reply to mike
      That doesn't mean it isn't religious...
  • by dERWOOD Location: GA on May 7, 2012 at 03:40 AM
    HEY WAIT, I THOUGHT THE STATE WAS BROKE. WHY NEW TAGS? WHY NOT WAIT UTNIL STATE HAS MONEY TO PAY FOR THIS. WHAT A WASTE FROM ATLANTA.
      by Anonymous on May 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM in reply to dERWOOD
      Atlanta???
  • by bnangel Location: Habersham on May 6, 2012 at 08:33 PM
    to each his own! i love the peaches and it looks like a warm day "hot" that is! I love that their is a choice for everybody. i personaly wouldn't wear my christianity on nething like a stamp as if to belong to a certain club. I think faith and brotherly love speaks for itself. to me evangelical christianity has come to a heart that excluds other christians who do not walk an talk the same as the club members. to me this is causing a real twist of christ teachings, and will ultimately tear down at the growth of the christian faith.
  • by Go girl on May 6, 2012 at 05:27 PM
    I want a vanity plate for my pink Cadillac that says "Go Girl" but they won't give it to me. What's a queen to do?
      by downlowe on May 6, 2012 at 06:56 PM in reply to Go girl
      beg and plead and lie like the rest of them.
  • by once lived in Ga on May 6, 2012 at 04:36 PM
    I wouldn't mind having that tag on my car I THINKS IT'S BETTER THAN Fla's ours just has a orange in the middle...
  • by georgia will never let it's citizens down. Location: ga. on May 6, 2012 at 02:58 PM
    and just when you thought our plates could not get any moye ugly.
  • by GoDawgsGo!! on May 6, 2012 at 02:37 PM
    That is so ugly! Our current plate is just fine!
  • by hope they dont raise the price on tags. Location: lowndes on May 6, 2012 at 02:19 PM
    yea thanks linda for making theletters so big and bold. now the law can harass and snoop in your private lives futher away. yea thanks really. atleast it dont have the depressing county's names and the religous vews on it. all government's should never menchion the bible because they are the most corrupt on earth.
      by kaye on May 6, 2012 at 05:42 PM in reply to hope they dont raise the price on tags.
      Well, aren't you just a happy little person?!! I think it looks just fine and plan to have "In God We Trust" on my tag.
      by DD on May 6, 2012 at 06:55 PM in reply to hope they dont raise the price on tags.
      It will have either the county or in god we trust on it, it's just not shown on this picture...did you honestly thing it's going to say "label" on it?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 150359195 - wctv.tv/a?a=150359195