Arson Fire at Thomas County Central High School

By: Caroline Gonzmart Email
By: Caroline Gonzmart Email

The Thomas County Sheriff's Office says a blaze that started in the cafeteria bathroom of Central High School at lunchtime was caused by a juvenile student. They say it was lit in a toilet paper dispenser in the boys' bathroom.

Parents of students at the school say they feel shaken by the incident:

"It's scary -- I mean, at school they're supposed to be protected, you know, there's supposed to be steps in place, you know, to protect them from things like this happening," says Stephanie Bufford, whose daughter attends TCCHS.

But parents aren't the only ones who think the arson was a bad decision:

"I thought it was really foolish ... [it] wasn't appropriate for school," says Junior Courtney Godwin.

Officials say they were able to determine who committed the arson after viewing the school's surveillance videos.

Students say they were evacuated from the school within minutes of school officials seeing the fire. They say no one was injured during the incident.

Thomas County deputies say Central High now faces over $1,000 in smoke damage.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Confused Location: Cairo, GA on Oct 31, 2010 at 07:45 PM
    Did the student who started the fire get arrested for the crime? Was the student kicked out of school? What does the student's parents have to say for their child? Where is accountability?
  • by BeBe Location: GA on Oct 30, 2010 at 06:21 AM
    The student needs to pay for the damages and work around the school to help clean up and repair the damages. Thankfully this was quickly detained before anyone got hurt.
  • by CommonSense Location: Thomasville on Oct 29, 2010 at 09:17 PM
    It is such a shame that children take their school for granted. Shame on you.
  • by Margaret Location: Thomasville on Oct 29, 2010 at 07:24 PM
    It is a shame for something like this to happen at Central. I hope the student that did this has learned a lesson and is punished. This could have been very bad if anyone had been hurt. Who pays for the damages??????
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106354339 - wctv.tv/a?a=106354339
Gray Television, Inc.