City Officials to Enforce Teen Curfew

By: Donnitra Gilbert Email
By: Donnitra Gilbert Email

Parents in Atlanta could face jail time and pay thousands of dollars in fines if their teenager is out after the city's curfew.

Teens aren't allowed out unsupervised after 11 on weekday nights and midnight on weekends.

Thomasville police say they think the ordinance is a great idea and should be implemented locally.

• by Lucy Location: Wakulla County on Jun 2, 2011 at 09:29 AM
    I believe teenagers should not be out after midnight, and in my opinion 11:00 during the week is too late. But that is my opinion as a parent. I don't think it's a good idea for government to start controlling curfews, bagging pants, cell phone use or any personal issues. We do not need to give them that much control. Also, I don't think it would be right to enforce it by fining the parents. Unforeseen things may happen while their child is out that prevents them from being home by curfew. The parent should not be punished for that or few just plain bad kids that do not listen to their parents in the first place.
  • by Jehan Lefou Location: Champagne on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:59 AM
    This law has good intentions but seems too oppressive. I started my first part-time job at 16. Some nights I wouldn't clock out until 2am. What's to stop a police officer from doing his job and enforcing this rule? I fit the profile: Teenager, unsupervised, and out late. My parents would get a hefty fine because their son got out of work late. Shifting parental responsibilities onto the government is dangerous. I'm not a fan of teenagers aimlessly wandering the streets either. I just think a Big Brother government would be more dangerous.
  • by TLH resident Location: NE Tally on Jun 2, 2011 at 06:56 AM
    I think it's a great idea for Tallahassee. Maybe we could go back to the movies at Tallahassee Mall without getting robbed by teenage thugs from the public housing project.
  • by We need that NOW! on Jun 2, 2011 at 06:49 AM
    I am all for the curfew. As a mother of teens and preteens I am all for it. They have no business roaming the streets at night. Regardless to summer or not. They should be getting a good nights sleep so they can get a summer job or direct themselves to some studies..As a child once which we all were what were kids doing when hanging out after 12?? Nothing but trouble..I really wish we had that here locally. I mean if they kids are working then that is one thing but jus chillin or what not ain't gonna cut it.. Stay yo behinds in the house.. Come on parents can I get an AMEN!!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.
  • by Bob Location: Jasper on Jun 1, 2011 at 05:35 PM
    I presume that teenager means 13 to 17. At 18 they are legally adults. Getting the parents involved is sorely needed. Even if it means fining and/or jailing them, it needs to be done. If parents did their job to begin with we would never have come to this.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122980023 - wctv.tv/a?a=122980023