Raccoons Try to Eat Baby Girl Alive, Cops Say

By: CBS / AP
By: CBS / AP

(CBS/ AP) A 9-month-old baby remains in critical condition at an Atlanta hospital after she was attacked by two raccoons.

Newton County Sheriff's deputies are investigating how the raccoons got inside the home and to the child, who was sleeping in a crib in the same room as her mother.

Lt. Tyrone Oliver says authorities arrived at the home at around 4 a.m. on Wednesday after the mother, Melissa Cannon, called 911 to say the baby had been attacked. The baby had been bitten severely on her face and other parts of her body.

Jennifer Mayerle of CBS Atlanta affiliate WGCL reports police say the animals tried to eat the girl alive.

Oliver says the raccoons were outside the family's house when deputies arrived, and that one of the animals was aggressive and was fatally shot by a deputy. The other raccoon was given to animal control to be tested for rabies.

Oliver says authorities are looking into whether the family was keeping the raccoons in the home as pets or the raccoons got into the house through a window's air conditioning panels. Charges could be pending against the parents.

Four other kids were home, but no one else was hurt, Mayerle says.

Neighbors say the baby's parents would never put their children in harm's way.

The home is in a rural area, with lots of woods, Mayerel adds, and neighbors say raccoons and other wildlife are common -- but usually don't attack.

• by yikespeople Location: tally on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    @yep-When you drink you sleep too hard, you make poor decisions(like allowing you children to sleep in the same open space with a pet racoon) and plenty of other stuff. It could have plenty to do with it. I DO know about Racoons and I DO know that this is the first time I have ever heard of one biting a sleeping child. I'm 52 years old. That alone would maybe que even you that something else is at play here. Maybe you did not get all the facts here so pay attention before you express your ignorant opinion. Talk about MORONIC!!!!
  • by l on Nov 5, 2010 at 08:55 AM
    THATis what I THought about the bottle. OR even if there was a little bit drool on the baby. I never had a racoon but had guina pigs. If my fingers weren't clean they BIT my fingers. the smell of food was there.
  • by Good Lord on Nov 4, 2010 at 04:25 PM
    You can take the animal out of the wild....You will never take the wild out of the animal. When will people learn. This is not rocekt science.
  • by Cows Rule Location: Lovett, FL on Nov 4, 2010 at 02:00 PM
    They are investigating a suspicion of the parents feeding and treating the coons as pets. I made that mistake once and know how quickly they will try and take ownership of you and your home. There was probably a bottle in the crib they wanted (just my guess) and decided to fight the baby for it.
  • by yep Location: tally on Nov 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    yikespeople- What the heck does a DUI have to do with with a racoon attack? If you have really raised racoons you should know that there is a major difference in a wild animal and an animal raised by humans. You should also know that racoons attack fast and have nasty bites. You should also know that racoons are very creative creatures that commonly make their way into homes. You should also know that racoons will eat anything even a sleeping baby if they have the chance. You should also know that racoons can become ill with rabies and can act more aggressive than usual. Yike people, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I still really want to know what the heck a DUI has to do with a racoon attack! You really blew my mind with that moronic statement.
  • by Danu Location: Tallahassee on Nov 4, 2010 at 09:02 AM
    Attacks happen fast and people sleep hard...no crime there. Raccoons can be quiet. I am sure the parents heard her scream and it probably took a few minutes to wakeup and orient themselves to the crisis at hand. They called 911. I seriously doubt the parents would let raccoons run wild in their home even if they were pets...which is even more unlikely. Raccoons are crafty and anyone who has gone camping without sealing supplies can attest to that. If they have rabies they are even more likely to be crafty and vicious. I pray the baby girl heals well and quickly returns home to her parents.
  • by Yikespeople Location: Tallahassee on Nov 4, 2010 at 08:47 AM
    I'll put 100 on the fact that their is more to this story then 2 crazed racoons trying to eat a baby. Miss thing has already been charged with one DUI. I'll just wait for this one to unfold cause I have raised racoons and know that they have more since then to try to eat a human baby. Jesus, sounds like a title on one of those magizines at the grocery store.........
  • by Really? Location: tally on Nov 4, 2010 at 08:32 AM
    @SHANER: they did hear them obviously, but it was WHILE the raccons were attacking when the baby would have started crying...genius
  • by denise Location: c'ville on Nov 4, 2010 at 08:26 AM
    @SHANER: Guess you've never been a tired parent of five children. I hope the baby is alright.
  • by SHANER on Nov 4, 2010 at 07:57 AM
    If the baby was in the same room as the parents, then how did they not hear the two raccoons and a crying baby?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106689523 - wctv.tv/a?a=106689523