[UPDATE] Shots Fired After Home Robbery Suspect Caught in Act

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

Thomasville,Georgia 3-24 9:42am

Daniel McGee, 20, was the suspect found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a failed robbery attempt in Thomasville on March 23, according to the Thomas County Sheriff's Office and the Thomasville Police Department. The family has been notified.

___________________________

Thomasville,Georgia 3-23 3:42pm

A search ends after a helicopter locates a suspect dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Thomasville Police say around 2:00pm on March 23, a call came in about a burglary at a home on Lakeview Drive. When police arrived, the suspect was caught in the act and ran from the scene. The man was found a short while later in some woods near Cherokee Lake Park. Authorities say he shot and killed himself, but they have not yet released his name.

"At this time I'm not really sure who he is if the investigator knew if he had an ID on him at this time they are processing him and the scene at this time," says Lt. Eric Hampton, officer with the Thomasville Police Department.

Officers say when an identity is known, they will notify the next of kin.

__________________________________________

Thomasville,Georgia 3-23 3:42pm

Thomasville Police said the suspect at large was located in the woods with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. A name has not been released at this time. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thomasville, Georgia -- 3-23 2:10pm --

An armed robbery took place at a Thomasville home earlier this afternoon. A call went out to the Thomasvillie Police Department around 1:52pm. When police arrived, the suspect was caught in the act of robbing a home. The robber fled on foot. Authorities closed off a nearby apartment complex and Cherokee Lake Park.

The Thomasville Police Department says a white male, around 200 pounds in blue jeans, white shirt, and baseball cap, ran into an apartment complex and robbed someone at gunpoint. Police are currently still searching for the suspect. TPD, a SWAT team, TCSO, and a K9 unit are on the scene.

Police have evacuated nearby Cherokee Lake Park.

No other information is available at this time.

Stay with WCTV for updates.

• by J on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:55 AM
    So just because this was my best friend, and I know him very well, i cant say that i truly believe that Daniel really did kill himself on that day. Although i will never know i've heard from so many people there was a shootout. What if law enforcement killed my best friend in a shootout and framed as suicide? Theres articles on the interenet right now saying Daniel has charges of Grand Theft Auto and First Degree Arson. It is totally i know ever one of Daniel's charges and grand theft auto and arson was never one of them. The whole story is really really fishy and i think something more serious went on that day that somebody doesn't want us to know about, but the law enforcement officers that were there that day are the only ones that truly know what went down. All we can do is accept it how it is told in the papers through not first, second but how many hands did this story go through until we hear about it ?
  • by someone on Mar 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    famous: i remember him doing all those things for you when we were in school...
  • by famous Location: thomasville on Mar 25, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    time I was pregnant he'd give me his milk at lunch just because he didn't want me to get dehydrated. The day my puppy died he skipped two classes just to sit outside with me and make me feel better... He loaned me his ROTC hat just so I wouldn't get in trouble.. Daniel was always there with a hug and a smile for anyone who needed it.. The point I'm trying to get across is that he was not some nameless ,crazy psychopath. He was a good friend to many people and an awesome person despite his problems.. As his friend I will always remember him the way I knew him, smiling and caring. R.I.P Daniel (PHD) McGee.. we love and will miss you"
  • by famous Location: thomasville on Mar 25, 2011 at 02:49 PM
    I am so sick of reading post and seeing things on TV about what a "bad" person Daniel was. Ok yes, he did have problems but really? Let's all take a look in the mirror... was he any worse than any of the rest of us? Tell me you've never done anything wrong, had bad thoughts.. or for that matter never been depressed? Yes, I agree that he should have taken the punishment for what he did and that suicide was a selfish thing to do... But none of us know what was going on in his head at that time and none of us have the right to judge him for doing it! As far as I'm concerned if you knew Daniel, you know what kind of person he was.. I never once saw him raise his voice to anyone. Anytime a friend was having a bad day he did everything he could to make them feel better. He was always there when someone needed him without a second thought.. I once set the toilet paper in the girls bathroom on fire and he tried to take the blame for it although he wasn't even at school that day. The entire
  • by PUNKIN on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF THIS YOUNG MAN, WE ALL HAVE OUR FOUGHTS. HE WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE.
  • by Disturbed Location: Thomasville on Mar 24, 2011 at 05:58 PM
    I find it really disturbing that anyone could be thankful for someone else's death. So, we don't have to pay for the jail stay because he committed suicide. How selfish! Why don't you get your head out of your but and reach out to the youth like this who are sincerely struggling.
  • by Don Location: Thomasville on Mar 24, 2011 at 02:49 PM
    A mother and father have lost their son. A bright young man has lost his brother. Regardless of why or how, this young man had strayed and has paid the ultimate price. A parent should NEVER have to bury their child. We love our children no matter what. Isn't that what we should be concerned about? My heart goes out to the family and they are in my thoughts and prayers during this darkest of times. I pray God watches over them and has granted their lost child eternal peace.
      by anonoymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 07:09 PM in reply to Don
      Don you said it all!!! I agree with you one hundred percent!!!
      by A Mom & Grandmama on Mar 25, 2011 at 07:54 AM in reply to Don
      Totally agree with everything you said Don.
  • by Doesn't Matter Location: Thomasville on Mar 24, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    I can't believe this..I went to school with Daniel for like 4 or 5 years and talked to him everyday when we where there, then when we finished school we never talked anymore..its just crazy to know that He's Gone!!! God Bless Him and His Family!!!
  • by mommy Location: ga on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    good, we don't have to pay for his jail stay
      by sos on Mar 24, 2011 at 03:21 PM in reply to mommy
      srry to say but ur son is really dome for killing those ppl then his self he a retad its the truth
        by doesn't matter on Mar 24, 2011 at 07:01 PM in reply to sos
        he didn't kill anyone!!! so read the newspaper again to get ur facts straight!!!! I knew the boy and he had never pulled a gun on anyone before have u ever thought that he may of thought about what he done right before he pulled the trigger on hisself? I know his family and he wasn't raised that way and he was always a polite. You know he does have a family that loves him and is going through a terrible time. May he find peace in the afterlife that apparently he couldn't find here on earth. May God be with his family.
        by anonoymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 07:10 PM in reply to sos
        he didn't kill anyone get your facts straight!!!
        by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 08:14 PM in reply to sos
        First of all, learn how to spell. Second of all, what a respectable person you must be to call someone who is dead "dome" and a "retad." I knew Daniel personally. He made bad choices, but he was neither "dome" or a "retad." Find something better to do with your time than speaking of people you don't even know... maybe try reading the dictionary?! Just a thought!
      by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 04:46 PM in reply to mommy
      You call yourself “mommy”, yet you leave a comment implying you are pleased that someone is dead. What compassion you have... Daniel was a son, a brother, a nephew, a cousin and a friend. I knew him personally, and I will be the first to admit he was too far down the wrong road. In no way am I defending his actions. I realize he was making horrible decisions, but do you think this is what his family and friends wanted?! Of course not! How about you look at this situation from the eyes of those who knew and loved him? What if this was your child, “mommy”, and you tried everything you could to help with no luck? Picture your child holding a gun to their head and pulling the trigger. No one wanted this to happen, yet you say “good” that someone’s child is dead. Have some respect for his family and friends, like me, who are reading this. It is not “good” that my friend is dead… Heartless. I bet you call yourself a Christian, too.
      by Greenly on Mar 24, 2011 at 09:38 PM in reply to mommy
      You must remember although what Daniel did was wrong he has a family. How would you feel if this was your son or brother? Would you feel the same way? I knew Daniel and I know his Uncle. I know for a fact his Uncle tried to help him get straight but Daniel just chose a different path. That didn't stop his family from still loving him though. Please remember this before you post comments like that.
  • by smarter than you are on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    You people really make me worry about your intelligence. What a person writes concerning a news article has "nothing" to do with their grammar. They are just commenting on the story itself. Those of you who seem to know all, know nothing. The people on here committing do "not" need a grammar lesson. I'm sure all of you know how to spell every word in the dictionary. NOT! I happened to be in the wright place at the wright time yesterday. I was able to watch this story first hand. Although i was asked to leave the Cherokee Lake Park area, i was able to find a spot i could watch with my binoculars.
      by ??? on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM in reply to smarter than you are
      committing?? wright????? Why do you have the quotation marks around "nothing?"
      by Smarter than 'smarter than you are' on Mar 24, 2011 at 01:34 PM in reply to smarter than you are
      They are 'commenting' not committing, and it's the 'right' place and time, not write. One more thing, it's 'firsthand', not firt hand. Plus, you should always capitalize 'I' you brain damaged chimpanzee.
      by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2011 at 01:46 PM in reply to smarter than you are
      You are not smarter than me if you did not leave the area and let the police do their work. What kind of idiot hangs around so he can look through his binoculars? The police do not need silly spectators getting in their way. Sure, they asked you to leave the park, but common sense should have told you to leave the area and get out of the way!
      by arielal on Mar 24, 2011 at 01:56 PM in reply to smarter than you are
      yhu are right i agree with yhu
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118519534 - wctv.tv/a?a=118519534