Speed Limit Change on I-75

By: Dontaye Carter Email
By: Dontaye Carter Email

The Georgia Department of Transportation says, starting Tuesday the speed limit on I-75 will be reduced from 70 to 65 miles per hour.

The Georgia Code of Motor Vehicle and Traffic states 65 miles per hour on a highway on the federal interstate system which is inside an urbanized of 50,000 or more will be designated by appropriate signs.

"I'm not sure what the statistics are but if it helps save lives and cuts down on accidents on the interstate it's probably worth doing," said Valdosta resident Jimmy Holmes. "Five miles per hour is really not that bad of a deal. If it makes things safer it's probably worth the change.

Georgia is the sixth fastest-growing state in the nation and the GDOT says they are committed to making sure residents within the city limits are safe.

• by Anonymous on Apr 10, 2011 at 04:23 PM
    LETS ALL DRIVE FAST, AND GET WHERE WE ARE GOIN. THE HECK WITH THE REST OF YALL SLOW POKES.
  • by Chris Location: Covington on Apr 7, 2011 at 08:57 PM
    so when the sheriff tries to get me ill downshift my sti in third and takeoff to 160 mph. catch me if you can
  • by Anonymous on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    here is an option stop hiring troopers and deputys and you dont have to raise taxes to enforce bull---t speed traps
  • by gravelyconcern Location: S.FL on Apr 5, 2011 at 08:39 AM
    Whow! that's southern GA for ya-
  • by Stephen Donaldson Location: FL on Apr 5, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    Maybe it is time to change the law and allow 70 mph. This MAKES NO SENSE LOWERING THE LIMIT! 70mph is perfectly safe there. Come GA, change the law and allow 70 mph where safe (better yet 75 mph!)
  • by Jeff on Apr 5, 2011 at 07:51 AM
    Looks like some things need to be explained here concerning Georgia traffic laws. 1. Super speeder laws do not take effect on the interstate until you do 85 mph. It may even be 90. 2. Procecuting a ticket for 10 mph or less will actually cost the municpality money. The 10 mph bump is a gift by the locals. It is not in the law. 3. Driving under 45 mph on the interstate is illeagal.
  • by Tickets Location: Florida on Apr 5, 2011 at 06:00 AM
    Barbara Vitter, you do know that driving too slow is also against the law? Driving 40mph in the left lane should also have a $200 surcharge. That way stupid people won't be able to afford to drive. That would save lives.
  • by florida girl Location: florida on Apr 5, 2011 at 05:50 AM
    I agree with momentm..cause it doesn't matter what the speed limit is, Im gonna push 90 anyways. If I get caught, I deserve to pay. If I don't, then I have escaped thru Georgia, no harm no foul, all I got to say is, yall better move out the way in the slow lane cause I drive in both the slow and fast lane. I get in the slow lane only to pass when the person in front of me is driving 75 or 80. I have to pass him because he or she won't get out of my way. I am a safe driver though. I just like to drive fast. I'm a back woods country girl, and where I come from we drive fast.
  • by speed trap Location: State of Georgia on Apr 5, 2011 at 05:39 AM
    They'll catch the folks not paying attention.
  • by Anonymous Location: Thomasville on Apr 5, 2011 at 02:01 AM
    It sounds like it's about revenue. Sonny Perdue signed into law the super speeder law and it tacks on $200.00 plus the fine for speeding.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119214329 - wctv.tv/a?a=119214329