Thomasville Man Killed in Early Morning House Fire

By: WCTV Eyewitness News Email
By: WCTV Eyewitness News Email

By: Emily Johnson
August 28, 2014

Thomasville, GA - "It's going to feel different I'm going to have to get use to not seeing him over there," said Pittman.

Pittman is talking about her neighbor, 25-year-old Rodney Sewell. The young man died Wednesday morning during a house fire on East Webster Street.

Pittman and other neighbors said the news of Sewell's death is heartbreaking.

"Rodney's dead, I said oh my gosh. I just saw him yesterday. It's sad that he's gone because he was so sweet. Words can't explain how sweet of a person he was," Shonese Mills

Thomasville Fire & Rescue along with the State Fire Marshal's and Thomasville Police worked the scene. Fire officials said a cooking stove left unattended was the cause of the fire and that there was no smoke detector inside of the home.

"The fire originated in the kitchen, there was a pot left on the stove, that's where the fire started from and it just grew from there," said Craig Ducks, Thomasville Fire & Rescue Fire Investigator.

Dejon Bouldin said he spoke to Sewell a little after midnight on Wednesday. He told us Sewell smiled and acted like his usual self. Now he said he can't believe his friend is gone.

"I saw that too, they brought it out, it did something to me when I saw that and just laying in that black bag like dang that was my last time seeing him," Bouldin.


By: WCTV Eyewitness News
August 28, 2014

THOMASVILLE, Ga. -- One person was killed in an early morning Thomasville house fire.

At 3:54 this morning Thomasville Fire Rescue responded to the blaze at 117 E. Webster Street.

Police also arrived on the scene and attempted to make contact with any residents of the home, but received no response.

A Thomasville police document indicated that a large amount of smoke was coming from the roof and flames were coming out of the east side of the home.

Upon extinguishing the fire, firefighters discovered a deceased man, later identified as the owner of the home, 25-year-old Rodney Dean Sewell Jr.

Thomasville Fire Chief Chris Bowman said that the fire started in the kitchen from food that was cooking on the stove.

Bowman also said that officials are still investigating the fire.

No further details are available at this time.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 273022151 - wctv.tv/a?a=273022151
Gray Television, Inc.