Thomasville Ex-Sheriff's Deputy Admits to Assaulting Detainee

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

THOMASVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- March 17, 2012

A former sheriff's deputy has admitted he punched a detainee and knocked him into a wall inside a Thomas County Jail.

The Justice Department says Julian Scott Law pleaded guilty on Friday to assaulting a detainee inside in a jail in Thomasville, Ga. Officials say Law's assault caused the detainee to suffer a bloody nose, swelling, bruising and pain.

While Law was working as a deputy, he admitted to punching the detainee because the detainee threw a cellphone case onto the floor. Law said the incident took place on August 20, 2010.

Law faces up to 10 years in jail. He is expected to be sentenced on July 16.

• by cory_tanner Location: tallahassee on Mar 20, 2012 at 05:26 AM
    its a choice an officer makes to protect and serve he is owed nothing but a salary, he doesn't deserve consideration for his service when sentencing time comes infact in my opinion he should be held accountable to the extent of the law he knew the consequences of his actions before he took action. roasted pig! ha!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 02:56 PM
    Correctional Officers are employeed to oversee inmates. Their duties as such may be stressful, most jobs/careers are. However, that does not give them the right to abuse inmates. I feel if an officer breaks the law, rules, or policy he/she should recieve the same punishment as a civilian-any one else. What makes them so special?
  • by Anonymous Location: GA resident on Mar 19, 2012 at 01:49 PM
    This was the officer who lost his job for so many accidents he already had on the job. I think he even wrecked the police car and his motorcycle in the same week. WCTV had a report on this officer several months ago.
  • by Nurse Location: Tallahassee on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Yes he needs to be locked up. He suppose to protect and serve. My job gets hard and lord knows we get all types of patients, buy I wouldn't dare punch any of them. Lock his tail up.
  • by CONCERNED Location: BROOKS CO on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    IT WAS NOT CORRECT TO PUNCH THE INMATE, I AGREE. BUT LOOK FOLKS, THESE OFFICERS GO THRU SO MUCH ON A DAILY BASIS,ABUSE AND STREES, LACK OF SLEEP TRYING TO LOOK OUT FOR THE PUBLIC. WE OWE THEM SO MUCH. THEY GIVE THEIR LIVES FOR US EVERYDAY. 10YRS IN PRISON WOULD BE TOO MUCH FOR THIS OFFICER. MARTHA STEWART ONLY GOT A SHORT TIME FOR SEALING $$$$$$$$ MILLONS
  • by Kevin aka Reality Location: Monticello on Mar 19, 2012 at 08:12 AM
    And I am sure the inmate was as innocent and pure as the Winter Snow. Never hurt a Flea. Its funny , as a Law abiding Citizen , I have never been walking down the street and been attacked by a Sherriff. Actually , One was kind enough to give me a ride when it was hot and I got tired of walking. So the argument that Deputies are just mean evil people ...I dont buy it!!
  • by Jason Location: Tallahassee, Fl on Mar 19, 2012 at 05:36 AM
    That's good I hope he gets the max! One down & many more to go!
  • by judge and jury Location: ga on Mar 18, 2012 at 08:42 PM
    i think 5 years in the pen will change big boy's violent attitude.
  • by Anon Location: Florida on Mar 18, 2012 at 04:44 PM
    Well, well, another one of Carlton's might get what he deserves. Almost the entire department is crooked. After all, one just 16 years for all the theft he did. Maybe they should do more housekeeping up there and get rid of a few more?????
  • by Anonymous Location: Tallahassee on Mar 18, 2012 at 03:02 PM
    Good. Tired of law enforcement thinking they're above the law. Doubt he will serve any time but he should have lost his job. If I hit someone at my job I would be fired...the rules should be no different for them.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143043536 - wctv.tv/a?a=143043536