[UPDATE] Thomas County Sheriff's Deputy Arrested

By: Donnitra Gilbert Email
By: Donnitra Gilbert Email

[UPDATE] 5-17 5:30PM

"Disbelief, shock, hurt ...everybody is saddened by it," says Thomas County Sheriff's Office Captain Steve Jones.

Jones describes the emotions felt after a three-day investigation lands a deputy behind bars.

"He was terminated by the sheriff," says Jones.

Jason Carroll was fired after the Georgia Bureau of Investigation arrested him at his home at 105 Sandra Street.

"At about midnight early Saturday morning (4-15) we seized some items there that may have been stolen," says GBi Special Agent Steve Turner.

A John Deere Gator from a local school, a lawnmower taken from a church, a shotgun and an electric BBQ grill totalling about
15-thousand dollars in value were found.

Agents say everything that was seized was held at an impound lot until it was returned to its rightful owner.

"It appears in most cases he was actually patrolling those areas and saw those items were available," says Turner.

Agents say they believe Carroll would go back after his shift to get the items, but those actions are not sitting well with folks who live nearby.

"He should be a good example for the community," says Thomas County resident Willet Baker.

"It's sad Even though times are bad, you shouldn't be stealing to make ends meet," says Thomas County resident Wallace Reed.

Carroll worked for the sheriff's department for nearly 15 years before being let go.

GBI says items seized are still being processed and will be returned to their rightful owners.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[UPDATE] 5-17 Noon -

A Georgia Bureau of Investigation probe puts a local deputy behind bars. He's accused of stealing thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

GBI agents say Jason Carroll was arrested at his home after the Thomas County Sheriff's Office tipped them off about a deputy involved in criminal activity.

Agents say stolen equipment was found at Carroll's home, valued at nearly $15,000. Carroll is facing 10 counts of felony theft. Agents say among the stole items are John Deer lawn equipment and a shotgun.

They also say Carroll stole some of the items from a school and even a church. Investigators say they believe Carroll would take the items while out on patrol. He'd worked for the sheriff's office for nearly 15 years, but has now been terminated.

We'll have reaction from the community to see how residents feel about the arrest later tonight on Eyewitness News.

________________________________

Special agents say Jason Carroll was arrested Saturday (5/14) at his home after the Thomas County Sheriff's Office tipped off GBI about a deputy being involved in criminal activity.

Items that had been reported stolen were found at Carroll's home including a lawnmower, John Deere equipment and a shotgun.

GBI says the items total more than 15-thousand dollars in value. Special agents say Carroll worked at the sheriff's office for nearly 15 years.

• by LEO Location: Georgia on May 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    To Victims Wife.....From a police officers standpoint I can honestly say that MOST law enforcement officers stand behind you. We do not condone his actions, nor would cover them up. I would personally turn him in if it were me, and not think twice. It puts a bad light on law enforcement in general because everyday in the news there is some idiot that uses the position to hide his real criminal self, and that makes up a small percentage of real cops that live their life above that. I dedicated my life to being a good cop, and wish your family the very best, and hope that Jason gets what is deserved in this situation. There is no excuse PERIOD....We all have financial problems and that is no excuse for stealing. Do what some real good Deputies have done that left the sheriffs office in Thomasville and go into another profession that pays what you need to take care of your family. That is a played out excuse that makes me sick. Good Luck to you Victims Wife and your family
  • by :) to my girl Location: Thomasville on May 26, 2011 at 03:50 PM
    I have to say I agree with the victems wife & honestly I know this family & it sad to see them struggle just cause this cop took advantage of his power as a cop.... He is wrong for what he did
  • by terri Location: tville on May 25, 2011 at 07:47 PM
    well I got to say I'm with the Victim's Wife....all the people that's backing him up, what if he stole from you? and you was using the items like this guy was making ends meet to help his family??? I would be outrage myself!!! I don't care who you are, cop etc--stealing is stealing PERIOD!!!
  • by Victim's WIFE! Location: Thomasville on May 22, 2011 at 06:21 PM
    Since everyone seems to have an opinion, how about one from an actual VICTIM of this crime. I am a wife to the man whom JASON stole the lawn mower from. You are all right, it's not our place to judge, but let me throw this out there for you....Did you know that we have TWO small children, and one on the way? Did you know that my husband used that lawn mower to work a SECOND job to help provide for me and his children? Did you know that not only did he steal my husband mower, but the CHURCH he stole it from was where my husband spends hours at a week, doing the lawn care for them? Ya, didn't think those of you DEFENDING him thought about all this. I am not saying this JASON man is some horrible person, because the Lord knows we all have sinned and made mistakes, BUT he wasn't thinking of the burden he was placing upon other people when he stole their belongings. Was he worried about the fact that my husband and I would have to purchse another mower while still paying for the one he stole just so we can pay our bills? Nope, he sure wasn't. I am not going to sit here and say all cops are bad and evil, because I don't even close to feel that way, but what I will say is just because he is a Cop doesn't make it right for him to abuse his power. I wouldn't care if he was a Pastor, stealing is stealing and while some of you seem to be worried about "his feelings", and "his family"....WHAT ABOUT MINE??????
  • by Anonymous Location: Thomasville on May 19, 2011 at 06:27 PM
    Well I hear today ANOTHER Thomas Co DEPUTY has been fired for something involving a vehicle accident!!!
  • by Law Enforcement Location: Thomasville on May 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    The motto that I remember Jason saying when we worked in Law Enforcement together was "deny, deny, deny!" That doesn't sound like a person with honesty and dignity.
  • by Anonymous on May 19, 2011 at 09:50 AM
    Well Joy to the World, at least I bet the man could spell!!! No wonder you are from Metcalfe. They must not have spellcheck!!
  • by joy world Location: metcalf on May 19, 2011 at 08:16 AM
    so now th eidiot is going to lost his job, his retirement, his health insurance probly his wife and kids? all for a lawn mower, a trailor, and i bet he was going to seek the church's lawn business will be his defence.
  • by sherily lynn on May 19, 2011 at 08:14 AM
    what this guy was wrong. it a reminder of the time 13 city of thomasville cops were arrested for running a theif ring
  • by ronnie Location: thomasville on May 19, 2011 at 08:11 AM
    i wish him the best. if's a shame the city of thomasville doesn't have an elected cheif or just combine with the sheriffs department. this would cause a decrease of 60& in traffic tickets which should give the reader/voter an idea of which dept is most honest. the sheriffs dept is probly one of the most reliable and honest in any state.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121958944 - wctv.tv/a?a=121958944