VSU Says No To Concealed Guns On Campus

By: Greg Gullberg Email
By: Greg Gullberg Email

- Valdosta, Ga. - May 23, 2012 -

Should college students be allowed to carry firearms to school? Some say yes, but faculty members at Valdosta State University say no.

The Faculty Senate at Valdosta State University is taking a stand against concealed guns on campus. They unanimously passed a resolution May 17th to keep guns out of the classrooms and off university grounds.

"I think it's a bad idea for guns to be on campus because all of us are young adults and I don't think we at this age fully understand the risk assessment of using guns on campus," said Airy Hall, VSU student and president of the VSU student chapter of the NAACP.

The resolution holds no real legal power, it's more a statement. In fact, concealed carry is already banned in its policies.

The Faculty Senate is standing in opposition to House Bill 981. That bill has already been defeated but these faculty members expect it will find its way back on the ballot next year, if only in slightly different form.

The bill proposed allowing citizens the right to carry concealed weapons into bars, churches, college campuses and even go as far as elementary schools.

"Criminals thrive in places where there are no guns. Cause they know there are no guns there and the only people who can stop them are the police," said Davis Day, salesman at T3 Outdoors.

The Faculty Senate's resolution still has to be approved by the president of the university.

Valdosta State is the first university in Georgia to take an aggressive stance against concealed carry.

• by Georgia Boy Location: Cairo on Jun 3, 2012 at 06:04 PM
    Sandy, foot traffic and crowds, rather than deterring criminal activities such as shootings, encoursge it. Why would a lunatic who wants to do people bodily harm, with no consideration of who they are, shoot one or two when they can cause mass confusion and mass casualties in busy places? And it is highly unlikely any person responsible enough to have a concealed weapons permit would be irresponsible enough to just start shooting wildly at a criminal. I was raised on guns and their safe handling, and I'm a military veteran. Even shooting on my farm I make certain there is no one in line with the shot who could be hit by a bullet if it richocheted. People who handle guns are far more cautious with them than liberals like to make them out to be.
  • by Georgia Boy Location: Cairo on Jun 3, 2012 at 06:13 AM
    I haven't looked at this posting in a while, but today I did and noticed a couple of things I need to respond to. First, to GET REAL. I said the Georgia Codes don't allow the carrying of a weapon on school grounds even by a person with a CCW license. You referred to HB 981, which is a House Bill introduced in the Georgia Legislature, and not law. And to Patriot, I believe current law allows someone with a license to have a weapon on a school campus but ONLY in their vehicle. Not inside the buildings or elsewhere on campus so it appears it is allright to have one on that portion of campus. I'll read the Code again to be certain, however.
  • by Sandy Location: Georgia on Jun 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    The idea that criminal elements thrive in areas where guns are banned is ludicrous. These areas are, in fact, deterrents for the criminal element based on the fact that there is so much foot traffic and a large congregation of people. Walk on a college campus and then walk into an isolated alley and see which one has you feeling a bit paranoid. I think a lot of this results from shootings they've had and the idea that people could have protected themselves from their killers. However, I am not comforted by the idea of my co-workers (I work in a school) being armed. If anything, turning a crowded place into the OK corral would create more mayhem and fatalities...not less. As for those who cite a long commute and worries about safety to and from...you want to bring a gun on your drive, then don't park on campus. Walk. It's what those of us who couldn't afford to pay the parking fee did...and we received just as good an education as the rest of the university. The extra mile exercise would benefit your lifespan far more than a gun would anyways.
  • by Jason Location: Columbus on Jun 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    Signs have never stopped an act of violence. And law enforcement has no duty to protect an individual from harm or murder. www.facebook.com/gasccc Georgia Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
  • by Rational Citizen on May 29, 2012 at 05:03 AM
    You say college students are too young and immature to carry guns on campus. In every state I've looked up CCW laws, permit holders must be 21 years old to obtain a permit. Also, these citizens can carry most anywhere in else in the community, so why should they have to forfeit their right to defend themselves in order to get an education? Do they suddenly become different, less responsible people by stepping on campus?
      by Anonymous on May 29, 2012 at 07:41 AM in reply to Rational Citizen
      The academics want to get rid of all the guns -- they know that if I can't have a gun in my vehicle on-campus, then I must leave it at home -- that means "one more gun off the streets". It also means that I am unarmed when I drive up to my remote rural dwelling -- if I am murdered, then they can crow that yet again, a gun-owner was not helped by his firearm, which furthers their goal of disarming everyone. When the guns are gone, and crime gets bad enough, then they hope to finally get to brainwash all the children when they are two or three years old -- no more of that silly religion and macho capitalism then, not to mention all that gender bias. So the campus thing is very important to them -- a line in the sand thing -- they do not care a fig about the victims at VT who died like rats, and the future victims that will die in gun-free zones -- it is all about "the bigger picture"...
  • by Tom Location: Wyoming on May 28, 2012 at 09:44 PM
    Yet another campus full of nothing but defenseless victims. VSU just voted to leave their crime rate on and near campus alone and let it climb as it will. I can't figure why libs always assume conceal carry on a campus will somehow be this epic bloodbath when the rest of the public domain is a testament to the opposite. People carry every day all around them everywhere else and none of their predictions come true, so why would they within that one piece of property?
      by Anonymous on May 29, 2012 at 07:25 AM in reply to Tom
      They see the snakes in their heads and fear them - they also "know" they are mentally superior - so obviously (to them), the snakes in the heads of others must be even bigger and more dangerous...
  • by jack Location: wisconsin on May 27, 2012 at 04:10 AM
    If you have any questions regarding CWP law or training contact www.e2c.us or 1-866-371-6111 and the Instructors at Equip 2 Conceal will be happy to help you.
  • by Jenna on May 24, 2012 at 08:04 PM
    If the one person that had a gun at VT did not - all 14 people would still be alive. If there had been more guns at that horrible time - even more could and would have been killed.
  • by Nice move... on May 24, 2012 at 07:15 PM
    now you told all the thugs where to go to rob. Good job.
  • by Anonymous on May 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    @Moe,ROB,and duh---You guys just don't get it. A resolution isn't going to stop anyone determined to shoot someone. A sign isn't going to stop anyone determined to shoot someone. HOWEVER, a resolution, and a sign, together, will strike fear into the heart of the most determined, gun-crazy loon. If you add in a public service announcement that "all violators will be prosecuted", even the most callous criminal will surely run for their life. I know this is true because I feel deep down in my heart that it must be true.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 153287235 - wctv.tv/a?a=153287235