Verdict "Guilty" in Cairo Drive-By Shooting

By: Kara Duffy Email
By: Kara Duffy Email

UPDATED 6.19.2012

A jury deliberated for just over an hour before finding Frank Williams Jr. and Shadrick Killens guilty of murder and aggravated assault in the death of Jerry "Duck" Bodiford.

Williams and Killens were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years.

Bodiford's father says although this will not bring his son back, he does feel like justice was served.

See our interview with Bodiford's father tonight on Eyewitness News at 11.
-------------------------------------------------------
Grady County, Georgia -June 19, 2012 -3:00 pm-

A Grady County Jury is deliberating in the trial for two Thomasville men accused in the drive-by shooting death of 21-year-old Jerry "Duck" Bodiford Jr.
______________________

Grady County, Georgia -June 19, 2012 -1:15 pm-

A Sheriff involved in the case reports that all evidence in the trial has been presented and the prosecution will begin closing arguments. The defense will then proceed before the jury begins its deliberation. A verdict is expected tonight.

_____________________

Grady County, Georgia -June 19, 2012 -

Trial for the two Thomasville men accused in the drive-by shooting death of a man in Cairo is now underway. Testimony started this morning.

Deputies believe 21-year-old Jerry "Duck" Bodiford Jr. was just an innocent man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Witnesses say Bodiford was hit by a stray bullet from a drive-by shooting while walking in a Cairo neighborhood last July.
Police arrested 20-year-old Frank Williams Jr., and Shadrick Killens for the murder.

We'll have the latest from court tonight on Eyewitness News.

________________________________

UPDATE 1-5-2012

There was a court date today for two men accused of murdering former Cairo High football player Jerry Bodiford, Jr.

Frankie Williams Jr. did not appear in court, but Shadrick Killens did. He entered a plea of "not-guilty" at the Grady County Courthouse in Cairo. The two are accused of gunning down 21-year-old Jerry Bodiford, Jr. in a drive-by shooting in july of 2011. Bodiford's family members are anxious to know more about what happened.

"I'm disappointed today, because I didn't get to hear what I thought I was going to hear, but I guess it's continued in March, so in March is when I will hear everything I don't know about the case," said Jerry Bodiford, Sr., the victim's father.

No date has been set for the trial, but it is supposed to begin at some point in March.
___________________

UPDATE 1-4-2012

Two men accused of murdering a former Cairo High football star will be in court Thursday, January 5.

21-year old Jerry Bodiford Jr. was killed in a drive by shooting in July of 2011.

The suspects in the case, Frankie Williams Jr. and Shadrick Killens, are scheduled to go to trial sometime in March.

We'll keep you posted on the latest developments in the courtroom.

------------------------------------------

12-21-2011

Victim's Family Speaks Out

It has been five months since Jerry Bodiford Jr. was laid to rest. His family says it's the memories that are helping them get through this difficult time.

The memorial is still up at the site in Cairo where twenty-one year old Bodiford was shot while standing with friends, an innocent victim according to his family and prosecutors.

"He didn't bother nobody. He was the type of person who got along with everybody," said Jerry Bodiford Sr., the victim's father.

Bodiford's family says his death has brought them closer together and they are trying to focus on the positive.

"We just pray a lot and communicate with one another like we should as a family since all this happened," said Bodiford, Sr.

Relatives say Bodiford was they type of person who always put others first, and they are trying to live their lives like he would have wanted them to.

"He was the happy person. Like, if something if somebody was mad or something, he'd be like, why you gotta be so serious? Why you gotta take life so serious. Just live," said Bodiford's sister, Alesha Bodiford.

"It's been difficult at times but we hangin in there," said his aunt, Claretha Fuller.

A picture that Bodiford's uncle snapped one day of the clouds has given them renewed hope. They believe that an image in the clouds shows Bodiford looking down on them.

"We have pictures that gave us closure. And it helps a lot. Its helped us a lot," said Fuller.

Bodiford, Sr. said he is struggles every day with the loss of his son.

"The children supposed to bury the parents. Not the parents bury the child," said Bodiford, Sr.

With the trial still a few months away, friends and family are moving forward and hope that in the end, justice will be served.

The pretrial is scheduled for January fifth and the trial is set to begin sometime in March.

• by love on Jan 8, 2012 at 09:16 PM
    yoyo shut the f up please
  • by Wynn Location: Atlanta on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    Everytime I think about him my face light up because of the type of person he was. Very kind hearted, loving person that is truly miss. I know he's in a better place looking down on his family so you guys continue to be strong. RIP Duck B :)
  • by yoyo Location: y on Jan 5, 2012 at 08:27 AM
    these are two men thats being judged over a simple mistake no they didnt have the right to take anothers life and who are we to judge them? at the end of the day god has the last say so and im so glad we serve a loving and forgiving god...and we must remember there are always 2 sides to one story...sooryy for the lost on both ends although the shooters might not be dead but they have lost their freedom and life to be so young and its sad...we should think before we act...
  • by it is what it is on Jan 5, 2012 at 05:23 AM
    A drive by is the most cowardly way of shooting somebody. Just take them out back and do the same to them.
  • by Gman on Jan 5, 2012 at 05:23 AM
    reap what you sow? Let's line 'em up and drive by and shoot them!!!
  • by Mary (cousin) Location: Columbus Ga on Dec 24, 2011 at 07:11 PM
    I am a true believer in what GOD can do. I haven't seen the picture but when I heard of it there wasn't a doubt in my mind about it. I know that we come from a strong Christian background and know the power if GOD so yes I believe and I don't need to see the picture. I think of him all off the time and I was the one that made the shirts that were made that they were wearing on the news interview and it was hard. I love him just as much now as I did before GOD called him home.
  • by Kevin aka Reality Location: Monticello on Dec 22, 2011 at 03:24 PM
    Coming from Los Angeles , this tragedy is nothing new , and sadly neither is the collateral damage. Gang Members who do drive bys , almost NEVER hit the intended target...rather sadly, kill 6 other un related people , the neighbors dog , and riddle a parked car...all while the intended victim walks away. Absolute stupidity. And worse yet , half the time they shoot at the wrong person.
  • by sundra on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    I LOVE AND MISS MY NEPHEW SO BAD HE'S REALLY BEEN MISSED.I LOVE YOU DUCK AND JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED NO DEED GOES UNPUNISHED IN GODS EYES.WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS B/C WE ARE A VERY CLOSE FAMILY EVEN MORE NOW THAN WE WERE BEFORE.JUST CONTINUE LOOKING DOWN ON US NEPHEW .I LOVE YOU SAVE A SEAT FOR ME.. GONE BUT YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN....R.I.P. JERRY'DUCK' BODIFORD JR.( LORD GIVE ME FAMILY STRENGHTH THROUGH THIS TRYING TIME AND THIS HOLIDAY SEASON. LORD STRENGHTHEN US WHERE WE ARE WEAK...
  • by claretha Location: cairo on Dec 22, 2011 at 09:27 AM
    thank God we have each other and we will get through it
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136029598 - wctv.tv/a?a=136029598