Daughter of Officer Killed Opens Up About Troy Davis Case

By: CNN Email
By: CNN Email

Atlanta, GA 9-20-11

Troy Davis is set to die by lethal injection this Wednesday.

In 1991, he was found guilty of murdering a Savannah police officer.

Since that time, seven of the nine witnesses against him have recanted or contradicted their testimony.

The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles is meeting today to hear a last minute appeal by Davis.

Supporters have gathered outside the hearing.

It's one of hundreds of rallies held in support of Davis' bid to be exonerated.

When asked about the Troy Davis case, Madison MacPhail, the daughter of the slain officer said "I spoke to them today about my perspective and how I see things. And I see that a future was taken from me. Like not just my father was taken but the future that we would have had together was taken from us. And the future he could have with his family was taken. Sorry I'm a little emotional. Things like my wedding and the fact that in a few weeks I'm going to be 24 and so in 3 years I will be older than my father and in a couple years after that, so will my little brother. So in a matter of 5 years my dad's children are going to be older than he is. He is forever frozen at 27. And it's just hard, it was a future, it was a life that we never got to experience and life he was taken."

• by Anonymous on Sep 20, 2011 at 01:40 PM
    TO; SORRY FOR YOU: JESUS TOLD YOU PLAINLY HIS KINGDOM IS NOT OF THIS WORLD AND THAT IT WAS SPIRITUAL IN NATURE. THIS IS THE RULE FOR THE CHRISTIAN. ROMANS 13: 1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
  • by Paul Location: New York on Sep 20, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    @Barbara is right. 7 of 9 "witnesses" recanted their testimony. AND ballistic evidence that was presented to the jury (and according to jurors testifying yesterday, VERY influential in their decision of guilt) - that ballistic evidence has since been designated faulty and unusable by the state of Georgia.
      by mike on Sep 21, 2011 at 02:49 PM in reply to Paul
      Guilty....!!
  • by Cheryl Location: Perry on Sep 20, 2011 at 07:03 AM
    Then let him go to heaven. Which I hope he does but there are consequences to your actions in a civilized society that has to be upheld. If not do we loose our abitlity to maintain law and order in society?
  • by DILL Location: TALLAHASSEE on Sep 20, 2011 at 06:46 AM
    TO SORRY FOR YOU; SINCE YOU SEEM NEVER TO HAVE READ THE BIBLE WHAT IS THIS CHRISTIAN QUOTE. YES HE CAN BE FORGIVEN BUT HIS ACTIONS STILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES HE HAS TO PAY FOR. EVEN AS A CHRISTIAN HE MUST LIVE UNDER THE RULES OF THE GOVERMENT WHERE HE LIVES. CHRIST DID NOT FREE US FROM OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SOCIETY OR OUR FELLOW MAN.DON'T USE THE WORD"CHRISTIANITY" AS AN EXCUSE TO ESCAPE LEGAL AND MORAL RESPONSIBILITIES. ALSO THERE IS NO PARADISE SINCE THE ASCENSION.
  • by Really??? on Sep 20, 2011 at 06:16 AM
    So you all are saying no one could ever be arrested based on trumped up charges just to get a conviction???
  • by William Location: America on Sep 20, 2011 at 05:59 AM
    While this whole incident has been a tragedy for the families involved, I am pleased to see a media outlet that will report on the pain and suffering of the victim's family, what they lost, and the cruelty of the person responsible. WCTV reported on the views of both sides. thank you WCTV. Good Job!!
  • by Chuck Location: Tally on Sep 20, 2011 at 05:39 AM
    I'm tired of criminals having more rights than law abiding citizens. Justice needs to be carried out swiftly, not 20 years later. Execute the dirtbag already!
  • by Barbara Location: Tallahassee on Sep 20, 2011 at 05:08 AM
    Yes, a life was taken - it sure would be great if there were enough evidence to find out who killed this girl's father. Unfortunately, there isn't - so they're going to execute this man, instead, even though people who care enough to do the research into it realize it wasn't him. Of those seven jurors that recanted - does anyone care that they said they were coerced to lie? He wasn't convicted on evidence. If anyone still thinks you are innocent until proven guilty in our system - you're not just wrong, you are DEAD wrong.
      by Anonymous on Sep 21, 2011 at 06:26 PM in reply to Barbara
      I SO AGREE WITH YOU . I REALLY THINK THAT THEY ARE REALLY DOING IT BECAUSE HES BLACK AND THE COP WAS WHITE MAN, BUT WAT THEY DONT REALIZE WE ALL BLEED RED BLOOD. AINT NOTHING DIFFERENT BUT THE SKIN COLOR.. MAN I WISH IT WAS SOMETHING I COULD HAVE DONE. BUT WAT I CAN DO IS KEEP HIS FAMILY IN MY PRAYERS AND MOVE ON WITH LIFE.. MAN MAY GOD BLESS.
        by Jessica on Sep 22, 2011 at 06:59 AM in reply to
        The race card again??? Why am I not surprised!!!
  • by Papi Location: South Georgia on Sep 20, 2011 at 04:45 AM
    We need to put this THUG down and get the next one in line! He made his choice when he killed that police officer!!!!!
  • by 1/75 Ranger Location: Tallahassee on Sep 20, 2011 at 04:41 AM
    I served with Mark in the C Co, 1/75th Ranger Battalion and knew him well. He was a superior soldier and great police officer. I have followed this cases ever since Mark was murdered by Troy Davis. Three shots...THREE SHOTS...that includes the one to the head...DELIBERATE... Troy was caught, tried and convicted by a jury of his peers. He received a fair trial and deserves to die. He should not be allowed to draw another breath after tomorrow. Those trying to save him from execution are wrong. He committed a crime, was found guilty, there is nothing to disprove this...time for him to meet his maker and then spend the rest of his life with Lucifer because that's was he deserves.
      by sorry for you on Sep 20, 2011 at 05:36 AM in reply to 1/75 Ranger
      I feel sorry for you, because you dont realize that i'm sure that this man has giving his life to christ and repented for all his sins. And as christians we know what that means. If the state executes him tomorrow don't you realize he will be in paradise with Jesus. DEATH is not a punishment if you belive in Jesus. And this mans death isnt going to make you feel any better. If he is indeed quilty, why would you want to expedite his everlasting life? Anybody that is a Christian and believes in the death penalty, Please explain your rationale to me?
        by Denise on Sep 20, 2011 at 06:55 AM in reply to sorry for you
        Eye for an eye...a life for a life...get it?
          by sorry for you on Sep 20, 2011 at 07:08 AM in reply to Denise
          "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also... You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (Matthew 5:38-39, 43-44) Now I realize the scripture in the Old Testament says something different...but this is what Jesus said. So I think since he is the way to the kingdom of heaven.....we should go along with his interpetation of things. WHAT YOU THINK?
        by gaboy on Sep 22, 2011 at 08:13 AM in reply to sorry for you
        i feel sorry for U, if someone comes in your home rapes your wife or child you just going to turn the other cheek.....blind sheep being led to a sluaghter....sad, sad sad, sad, sad....
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130184213 - wctv.tv/a?a=130184213