Hearing Loss Fix for Soldiers

Oklahoma City, OK -- 10/22/11

Army veteran Gerald Williams lost his hearing due to blast exposure during his military service. Just like tons of thousands facing the same risks today.

"We talked about the IEDs and that's just something they're experiencing consistently in the wars that are on-going right now," he said.

Those blasts cause permanent hearing loss. But scientists at the Hough Ear Institute aim to make that loss a thing of the past for veterans.

"The records we have right now on returning troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, depending on the report, it's anywhere from 38 to somewhere in the 70 percent of the military personnel have significant hearing loss as a result of exposure to blast over pressures." Dr. Don Ewert says the antioxidant medicine his team developed works. The challenge now is making it more practical for the battle field.

Ultimately it would mean that a soldier could carry a pill with them and administer it themselves whenever they needed it. For Williams, this advancement is crucial.

"Soldiers going in to a war, into the battle arena need to know that if something does happen to them that their country is going to stand behind them and help them through it," he said.

• by spc goodson on Dec 4, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    Dr gaga... im sorry that u were rejected from serving and have to take it out on our heros. You are a disgrace
  • by Denise Location: Tallahassee on Oct 24, 2011 at 09:17 AM
    I am an audiologist, and feel more than qualified to speak on this subject. ANYONE who has a hearing loss deserves this. These people are NOT whiners! They have served this country well, and deserve all that we have to offer. Often a hearing loss not only causes the usual problems, but also can make the individual feel socially ostracized.
  • by Georgia Boy Location: Cairo on Oct 23, 2011 at 04:10 AM
    The article doesn't say whether their find will help others who suffer hearing loss, as well, just mentioning troops. I support providing them help, but it would seem foolish to limit it to troops unless it is only effective in onset of hearing loss caused by the unusual events they are exposed to.
  • by Dr. GaGa on Oct 22, 2011 at 05:55 PM
    If these whiners had fought their grandfather's war (WWII) we'd all be speaking German. My god, our world has sunken into a culture of PTSD and chronic belly aching over issues which to the greatest generation were regarded a minor annoyances on the way to freedom. As for you, James, get over it: the world don't owe you jack.
      by James on Oct 22, 2011 at 08:23 PM in reply to Dr. GaGa
      Look Lady GaGa, I did not say the world owed me anything, but if I am supposed to survive with my disability, you don't think I need to apply for it? My disability isn't PTSD peckweed. You should show some respect Arnold the Terminator.
      by You're welcome for your rights. on Oct 22, 2011 at 11:58 PM in reply to Dr. GaGa
      You're an absolute idiot. Are you one of the 0.45% percent of americans that have actually done something for our country or are you just a keyboard warrior? I suspect you haven't even set foot outside of your mothers house. Wake up and open your eyes. PTSD, hearing loss and all of the other injuries that plague vets today are a lot more understood than when our 'grandfathers' fought. So, if someone has a service related disability, YOU (all americans) owe them compensation for them putting their lives and bodies on the line so YOU (Dr. GaGa) can make moronic statements like you have here. Ill tell you, its people like you why we have gone from 11% of americans that served in WWII to the 0.45% for todays wars.
      by Bryan on Oct 23, 2011 at 09:21 AM in reply to Dr. GaGa
      Gaga, you are an absolute idiot. It is obvious that you are not a veteran because no self-respecting veteran would ever speak of one of his fellow soldiers that way. The reason we would all be speaking German is pansies like you wouldn't fight and would just bow down to servitude. James, ignore morons like Gaga. The overwhelming majority are proud of your service and sacrifice for our country. You are first in line to deserve what ever our country can do to make your life easier after your service. You are the true American. Thank you!
  • by James on Oct 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    What a joke ! Help them (Vets) through it. No they don't; they fight vets at every corner, making their lives miserable. It is one thing for our country to not actually be behind vets (especially DV), but to push that "we will be behind you no matter what" crap is pathetic. I received my disability after two years (most take longer) but I had to fight it so hard, it was wrong. My records ABSOLUTELY demonstrated my disability, but they made me fight them (VA) like I was a criminal trying to steal something. By time I got my disability, I wanted to give it back to the peckwads. And that's what they want; to make it very, very difficult so no one even tries.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132373763 - wctv.tv/a?a=132373763