Mom Charged With Attempting to Sell Newborn at Taco Bell

By: CBS News Email
By: CBS News Email

Washington - July 19, 2011 -

Heidi Gasaway covers her face as she leaves a Clark County courtroom, now accused of an unthinkable crime.

"I just don't understand how she would take a baby like that and try to sell it."

Oliver Morris owns Kay's Motel, where Gasaway was arrested last Friday.

He had rented a room to the woman earlier in the week, and noticed that she had a brand new infant with her.

He was in shock when police told him why they were taking her into custody.

"She was trying to sell the baby to get some money so she could skip town, go someplace else so she could start a new life"

The attempted sale of her three day old baby took place at a nearby Taco Bell.

According to court documents, Gasaway approached a woman at the restaurant and made the offer.

The asking price? Between $500 and $5,000.

The woman refused, and called 911 when Gasaway left.

Police tracked her down to the motel and arrested her.

She is now charged with a Class C Felony and faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

A horrifying case, but even Oliver Morris sees a bright side.

"At least the baby's alive, let's put it that way. I would rather see the baby taken into foster care rather than her try and get rid of it some other way and skip town."

The baby is now in state custody.

• by concearned parent on Jul 19, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    not that i agree with what she did by any means but, thank got she didnt leave the baby in a dumpster :~/
  • by Anonymous on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    atleast she could eat a taco while waiting.
  • by jerry Location: fl on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    crack head got to have her crack.
  • by robin Location: tallahassee on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    Annonymous' comments are as stupid as I am sure they are. Too bad you weren't sold. Maybe then you would have had parents that could teach you manners.
  • by Joe Smoe Location: Tallahassee, FL on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    Yes, I would like a beef burrito and a 3 day old child To-Go please. "Do you need any hot sauce with that?" Mild sauce please.
      by Sonny on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM in reply to Joe Smoe
      Nice. How does this happen?? My god.. Does no one understand the news laws where you can leave the baby at a hospital with no questions asked? Trash. Complete trash. And she'll probably be pregnant again within 4 months.
      by Will on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM in reply to Joe Smoe
      My mom tried to sell me at Wendy's, but I was 37 at the time.
        by K on Jul 20, 2011 at 05:06 PM in reply to Will
        although this sad.... there is some comic relief in it... I literally LOL'd at this comment!
  • by WTP Location: Tallahassee on Jul 19, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    White people, boy I tell you!
  • by Janny Location: Tallahassee on Jul 19, 2011 at 09:31 AM
    At least the woman didn't chloroform, duct tape the babes mouth, wrap it in garbage bags and throw it in a swamp.
      by Anonymous on Jul 19, 2011 at 02:05 PM in reply to Janny
      Who are you talking about? Surely not who I think - there's no proof.
  • by Jim Location: Gadsden County on Jul 19, 2011 at 09:06 AM
    $500. is still too much for a 3-day-baby.
      by Baby Buyer on Jul 19, 2011 at 07:13 PM in reply to Jim
      Excuse me ma'am, Will you take 250? Because you had it for 3 days!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      by anon on Jul 20, 2011 at 09:41 AM in reply to Jim
      remove your head from that orifice!
  • by common sense on Jul 19, 2011 at 07:17 AM
    Well geez at least we're not dealing with an upstate Casey Anthony...
  • by Anonymous on Jul 19, 2011 at 06:24 AM
    I wish i had been sold after i was born. my mother physically abused me and was an all around terrorist all through my life until I could get out of the house at 18. My father did nothing to stop her. Unloved is one heck of a way to be brought up. Hope for the best for this child.
      by Steve Marietta, Georgia on Jul 19, 2011 at 09:04 AM in reply to
      I am very sorry for what you went through. It is difficult to raise your parents, in a home devoid of love. Be strong, and forgive them. Each time you see them, look them in the eye. That is your greatest strength, the truth. I am glad this infant was taken. The baby could have wound-up like Caylee Anthony.
      by Anonymous on Jul 19, 2011 at 09:51 AM in reply to
      too bad for you. I bet you live you life looking for sympathy. Life is hard, we all have a hard time, so get back to work.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125800878 - wctv.tv/a?a=125800878