Every year veterinarians receive phone calls from panicked pet owners who discovered their dog did a little "trick or treating" themselves.
However, Dr. Sondra Brown says milk chocolate candy such as Hershey bars can be consumed in larger quantities than most may think. For example, a 70 pound dog could eat up to seven Hershey bars and only suffer mild symptoms, yet higher amounts could be lethal.
Dr. Brown says, "If you feel the heart rate pounding, tremors, neurological signs, you need to seek emergency medical treatment from an emergency clinic."
Baker's Chocolate and darker chocolate are much more lethal, as it has a higher concentration of ingredients.
Of course, the best piece of advice is to keep all candy out of your pooch’s paws.