WCTV | Tallahassee, Thomasville, Valdosta | News, Weather, Sports

Wood Stove Blamed for Devastating House Fire, Smoke Alarm Got Family Out Safely

The home at 6711 Chevy Way on the county's east side, was engulfed in flames when firefighters responded around 3 a.m. Thursday morning.

Homeowner Steve Rhodes told investigators he and his wife retired for the night with a fire still burning in their wood stove.

Officials say it appears the fire started in the flue pipe of that stove.

Thanks to a working smoke alarm, the couple and their three sons were able to escape unharmed. But the home sustained $350,000 in damages.


WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2061191 - wctv.tv/a?a=2061191