A fire starts in an apartment complex pool pump. The Tallahassee HAZMAT team is called to the northeast side of town to fight the blaze and spread of nearby chemicals.
It happened around 4:30 Tuesday morning at the Jackson Square Apartments on Hermitage Boulevard.
Fire officials say an electrical problem sparked the blaze in the pump.
They say the flames spread to the fence and to an open container of chlorine, emitting dangerous fumes.
CAPT Stan Burcham with the Tallahassee Fire Department says, "It's an irritant and when we got on scene we could tell there was chlorine when we could smell it from the road. It's a pretty strong irritant that's why we have to neutralize it. We can't leave it the way it is."
Wearing protective gear, firefighters used soda ash to neutralize the chlorine gas. Fortunately, no one was hurt in the blaze.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.