Investigators say the five-year-old boy was playing in a closet with matches when he caught himself on fire.
The mother and father were sleeping in a different room and a 17-year-old family friend heard the child scream. The friend ran in to the room and found the boy covered in soot and flames. He yelled for the father who came running in to grab the boy. They ran out of the house to try to find some help.
A neighbor was startled by the noise and called 9-1-1.
The child was airlifted to Shands’ Gainesville Burn Unit with burns on 90 percent of his body. His father was burned on the hand. The trailer where the family lived also burned.