Deadly House Fire in Monticello

Updated 4/30 6:45 p.m.

Thursday, police confirmed the identities of the two people who survived the deadly house fire in Monticello.

A four year old and his father were able to make it out of the blaze.

We continue to respect Monticello Police's request not to release the names the three people who died.

However, police have confirmed that the two survivors are Mark McCarty and his four year old son, Ashton.

One neighbor describes Ashton as a brave little boy.

Only two people made it out of the house before fire gutted it out.

Monticello Police say four year old Ashton McCarty and his father, Mark McCarty survived.

Nancy Wideman says her husband ran across Pearl Street to do what little he could to help while the blaze flared just before six am Wednesday.

Wideman says her husband carried the child over to her at their home.

She said, "He was frightened. He said, my house is on fire. It's scary, I want to go to another house. He was a wonderful little boy."

Flowers sit outside the house for the remaining three people that police say did not make it out alive.

Neighbor Dewell Norris also witnessed the fire.

She said, "I just couldn't realize that there were going to be people in there and would burn up. That's sad. That was an awful experience and I hoped I never have to go through that again. That was my first. I hope it's the last."

Police say the autopsies for the three people who died that all three died from smoke inhalation.

Monticello police still will not confirm their identities just yet.

The State Fire Marshal’s preliminary investigation at the fire scene indicates the fire originated at the electrical service located on the southside of the home,
and does not indicate any evidence of foul play.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 4/30 12:50 p.m.
Medical examiners are currently examining the bodies of three people who died in an early morning house fire in Monticello.
We've also learned that the two survivors of the fire were Mark McCarty and his 4-year-old son Ashton McCarty.
The fire started just before six Wednesday (4-29) morning.
The house was engulfed in flames.
Authorities are waiting on pathology reports to confirm the identities of the three people who died in the fire.
Mark McCarty was airlifted to the Shands Gainesville burn unit.
Ashton McCarty was taken to Tallahassee and was treated for minor burns and released.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing but at this time there are no signs of foul play.

Updated 4/29 7:30 p.m.

An early morning house fire in Monticello kills three people.

Authorities say two others in the home managed to escape the blaze.

The burnt house on Pearl Street in Monticello is a total loss.
But the real tragedy is the loss of lives.

Police say three people were killed in an early morning house fire.

But, authorities will not confirm the identity of the victims.

Authorities say they got a complaint call from someone about loud yelling at the house and when they arrived the house was fully engulfed in flames.

Bettie Cornelius says a commotion woke her up.

"I looked out and I saw flames coming from the house next door, so I immediately called 911." Said Cornelius.

Cornelius made that call just before 6:00 Wednesday morning.

She says she feared for the lives of the mother and three children who lived next door at 1045 East Pearl Street in Monticello; and for herself.

She said, "I was very frightened because I'm handicapped and I feared for my life and my dog's. Plus the flames were quite high."

Firefighters were still on the scene hours later.

Authorities say only two people made it out alive, and three people died in the house fire.

Other neighbors such as Ayers Anderson watched as the tragedy slowly unfolded.

Anderson said, "I hate to see a tragedy like this happen in this neighborhood. It's a nice neighborhood and I just hate to see a tragedy like this happen here. It's a real shame that this happened. I feel bad for the people involved in it."

Cornelius says she just saw her neighbor outside with her son playing in the yard Tuesday.

So, this fatal fire really breaks her heart and authorities have not released a cause for the fire.

Police have also asked Eyewitness News not to reveal the identities of the two survivors.

Monticello Police Chief Fred Mosley says they are waiting on a pathology report to confirm the identities of any of the people involved in the tragedy.

Chief Mosley says that report could be available on Thursday.

That information will be available on wctv.tv and on Eyewitness News.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 4/29 12:03 p.m.

An early morning fire claims the lives of three people in Monticello. Now officials are trying to figure out what sparked the blaze.

Three people died in the fire but their identities have not been confirmed.
Two people did manage to make it out safely.

The Monticello Police Department received a call just before six o'clock Wednesday morning.

When an officer responded the house was fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters from Jefferson County Fire rescue, Monticello Volunteer Fire Department and Lloyd Volunteer Fire Department all responded to the scene. The house on East Pearl Street is completely destroyed.

Monticello Police, JCSO, FDLE and the State Fire Marshal's office spent the entire morning on the scene working on the investigation.

At this time it is unknown if the blaze started because of an electrical problem, a candle, or if it was set intentionally.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monticello Police Department News Release:
The Monticello Police Department received a complaint at 1045 East Pearl Street at 5:58 a.m. this morning (4/29).

An officer responded and saw the residence fully engulfed in flames. The Jefferson County Fire and Monticello Volunteer Fire department responded to the residence.

There were two survivors from the house fire. However, there are reported fatalities.

The house is totally destroyed. Local and State Investigators are on scene at this time.

We will have more details as information becomes available.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 43982447 - wctv.tv/a?a=43982447
Gray Television, Inc.