Tallahassee fire officials says the incident happened around 12:20 Saturday afternoon at 1511Officer Ponce Way. Firefighters say the blaze ignited on its own because the flue on the fireplace was partially closed and the house filled up with smoke. The man living in the home suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital.
Rufus Graddy of the Tallahassee Fire Department, says, "You should always make sure your flue is open and if you put the fire out don't close the flue if there is still wood in there. If it does re-ignite then there's no place for the smoke to go, except in the house."
Fire officials also urge those who have a fire place to get it checked once a year and to check for excess soot buildup.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.