By: Bailey Myers
October 3, 2013
Tallahassee FL- There's a new Sheriff in town in Wakulla County, and he is cracking down on drugs.
Seven people were arrested this week on several different drug charges, as part of the Narcotics units crack down on drugs in Wakulla County. Everything from crack cocaine, pills to marijuana.
The neighbor of a suspected drug dealer, Justin Cross explained, "It's scary you don't expect it to be next door or just down the road."
Just a few doors down from Cross' home someone was arrested for drug possession, and Fox Run Circle isn't the only neighborhood where suspected drug users, and dealers are being caught.
Through undercover investigation work the Wakulla County Narcotics Unit arrested and charged seven people during a recent two-day drug roundup. Keith Blackmar from the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office said, "Well Sheriff Creole has a real desire to clean up the community as much as possible and in this case we are dealing with crack cocaine, prescription pills, marijuana."
Haylee Warrick, Jeffrey Treadway, Jason Sousa, Kevin Martinez, Virginia Carter, Willie Huggins, and Vernon Long were all arrested this week. All charged with possession, and either intent to sell or charged with selling drugs.
Blackmar explained, "We are concentrating on some areas that we know can be cleaned up and Im quite sure this will continue."
With two small children at home apparently living down the road from an accused drug dealer, Cross says he's just one of the people in Wakulla County who want to see more done. "If we have it going on like we do then I hope it gets taken care of-- and that they do make it a top priority," explained Cross.
Four others are expected to be arrested as part of this roundup. Two are currently in the Leon County Jail.
We have been told by the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office that it will continue its investigations.
Press Release: The Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office
The Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Division conducted a drug arrest sweep through the county on Oct. 1 and Oct. 2 and arrested seven of 11 individuals sought on a variety of drug charges, according to Sheriff Charlie Creel.
Two additional suspects are being held in the Leon County Jail with a hold for the WCSO. The Narcotics Unit and other members of the agency are also actively seeking two additional suspects to face narcotics charges in Wakulla County.
The Narcotics Unit activated 24 arrest warrants that included 50 felony charges ranging from the sale of crack cocaine to the sale of marijuana, trafficking and sale of a controlled substance and possession and sale of synthetic narcotics.
Throughout the late spring and summer month’s undercover narcotics operations were conducted where the suspects sold various narcotics during drug stings of regular suppliers.
The arrested individuals included:
- Haylee Brooke Warrick, 18, of Crawfordville. Warrick was charged with sale of synthetic narcotics; possession of synthetic narcotics with intent to sell; and trafficking in more than four grams of prescription pills. Warrick was placed under a $155,000 bond and she remains in the Wakulla County Jail.
- Jeffrey Tanner Treadway, 18, of Crawfordville. Treadway was charged with two counts of sale of marijuana; two counts of possession of marijuana with intent to sell; possession of a synthetic narcotic; sale of synthetic narcotics; drug trafficking in more than four grams; drug possession with intent to sell or manufacture; sale of drugs. Treadway was placed under a $250,000 bond and remains in the Wakulla County Jail.
- Jason Conway Sousa, 30, of Crawfordville. Sousa was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell and sale of marijuana. The marijuana weighed 13.7 grams. Sousa was placed under a $50,000 bond and was later released from the Wakulla County Jail.
- Kevin Brian Martinez, 30, of Crawfordville. Martinez was charged with five counts of possession of marijuana with intent to sell and five counts of sale of marijuana. He was placed under a $50,000 bond and remains in the Wakulla County Jail.
- Virginia Marie Carter, 50, of Panacea. Carter was charged with possession of synthetic narcotics and sale of synthetic narcotics. Carter was placed under a $20,000 bond and was later released from the Wakulla County Jail.
- Willie Huggins, 58, of Crawfordville. Huggins was charged with three counts of sale of crack cocaine and three counts of possession of crack cocaine. Huggins was placed under a $150,000 bond and remains in the Wakulla County Jail.
- Vernon Dale Long, 54, of Panacea. Long was charged with three counts of sale of marijuana and three counts of possession of marijuana. He was also charged with a misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana. Long was placed under a $150,500 bond and remains in the Wakulla County Jail.
- Two additional suspects, a 49-year-old Crawfordville man and a 40-year-old Crawfordville man are currently incarcerated in the Leon County Jail. They will face narcotics charges in Wakulla once they are released from Leon.
- A 23-year-old Tallahassee suspect and a 36-year-old Panacea suspect are still at large.
“The Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office will continue to push back against the illegal sale of narcotics whether it is marijuana, cocaine or the illegal sale of prescription drugs,” said Sheriff Charlie Creel.
Additional charges are possible as the investigation continues.