By: Lanetra Bennett
July 16, 2013
Tallahassee, FL - Cobb Middle School and Kate Sullivan Elementary School were honored today. The Florida Department of Education Parental Involvement Recognition Program honors the programs that successfully engage parents in meaningful school-based programs.
Cobb was awarded for its Backpack Program, which provides a backpack of food so that students will have a nutritious meal over the weekends.
Yvonne Jones, Ph.D. is the program's coordinator. She says, "This is a family atmosphere at Cobb. We wouldn't be able to do half the things that we do without our parents participating. I appreciate our parents so much."
Kate Sullivan was recognized for its annual arts festival.
Cobb and Kate Sullivan were among ten schools awarded statewide. All of the schools are listed below.
Tallahassee, Fla., July 15, 2013 – Commissioner of Education Dr. Tony Bennett recognized the state’s most exemplary parent involvement programs on Saturday, July 13 at the Florida Parent Teacher (PTA) Association 2013 Leadership Conference. The Florida Department of Education Parental Involvement Recognition Program honors the programs that successfully engage parents in meaningful school-based programs.
“Parents are the foundation of their child’s learning, and I am honored to recognize Florida’s schools for engaging parents through these innovative programs,” said Commissioner Bennett. “We know that parents play a key role in our education system and Florida is fortunate to have a wide array of incredible programs that support student achievement.”
The program is made possible through a long-standing partnership with State Farm Insurance. Select schools are recognized for developing and supporting parent involvement initiatives in their school community. The awards provide an opportunity for schools to share successful ideas statewide and encourage replication of programs that promote all levels of parental participation in education.
School award applications and nominations are submitted by district volunteer/family involvement directors. Award-winning parent involvement programs represent various facets of family involvement such as learning at home, parenting, nurturing, volunteering and communicating with school policymakers and local advocates.
The 2013 Parent Involvement Program Winners are below.
· Brevard County, Sabal Elementary School – Trailblazer Jamborees
· Broward County, Castle Hill Elementary School – Everyone Counts Family Program
· Collier County, Poinciana Elementary School – Community Outreach Night
· Duval County, Matthew W. Gilbert Middle School – Election: The American Experience
· Hillsborough County, T.R. Robinson High School – “The Cube” College and Career Center
· Leon County, Cobb Middle School – Backpack Program
· Leon County, Kate Sullivan Elementary School – The Arts Festival
· Osceola County, Celebration K-8 School – Pride Parent
· Palm Beach County, Suncoast Community High School – Career Showcase
· St. Johns County, Dubin Creek Elementary – Get Your Game On!
For more information, visit Parental Involvement Awards.
For more information about the Florida Department of Education, visit www.fldoe.org.