Man Rescued After Mac n Cheese Catches Fire

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Associated Press Release

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Authorities say a man celebrating his 76th birthday alone was rescued from his apartment after a pan of macaroni and cheese caught fire on his stove.

The Tampa Bay Times reports Oscar Jenkins fell asleep on his recliner at the Arlington Arbor Affordable Senior Apartments in St. Petersburg Monday night.

Jerome Williams was visiting his mother in the apartment next door when he smelled smoke and heard an alarm.

Williams says he found Jenkins' apartment filled with smoke and drenched with water from the sprinkler system. He says his Army training kicked in as he saw smoke billowing from the stove and Jenkins asleep on the chair. Williams took Jenkins next door as rescue crews arrived.

Fire officials say no one was injured and no other units were damaged.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187865731 - wctv.tv/a?a=187865731