Protesters Rally For Trayvon Martin At Valdosta's Old Courthouse

By: Greg Gullberg Email
By: Greg Gullberg Email

- Valdosta, Ga. - March 22, 2012 -

The controversy over the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, FL has spurred protests across the country including in Valdosta.

Outside the Old Courthouse downtown, protesters waved fists and umbrellas. The rain in Valdosta wasn't nearly enough to damper their outrage.

"Not since then have I seen that kind of interest in one single case as I have this one and I'm sure you will agree," Reverend Floyd Rose announced from the podium.

Several protesters wore hooded sweat shirts, held boxes of Skittles and cans of iced tea. That's what Trayvon Martin was wearing and carrying the night he was killed. Protesters ask if these items make them appear suspicious as well.

"That this was not just a Civil Rights violation. This was a human rights violation. That young man was a human," concerned resident J.C. Cunningham told Eyewitness News reporter Greg Gullberg.

"That this community and every community in this country will continue to press for Mr. Zimmerman's arrest and conviction," Rev. Rose told Gullberg.

The news that Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee temporarily stepped down sparked new life into the rally.

"We all know that he botched the investigation. He did not even arrest Mr. Zimmerman, which would have been standard practice," said Rev. Rose.

"I think the story is still kind of broad right now, people want to know what's happened. So I'm actually happy about the crowd that came out today," Valdosta State University NAACP Chapter President DeAndre Jones told Gullberg.

There was a similar gathering in Tallahassee Thursday earlier in the day.

• by E Location: madiso on Mar 26, 2012 at 08:33 AM
    All yall are ridiculous man black white or purple this women lost a child no mother should have ta go thru dat pain of burying wat dey brought in this world it wouldnt matter if trayvon was 6'2 an played football he still was only 17 so if puttin da man dat did it behind bars is her only closure then dats were he need ta be at
  • by Not nice to say...but on Mar 26, 2012 at 03:56 AM
    if hoodies are causing a problem..endangering your life or seen as a threat to others, why wear them. The KKK wore hoodies, different color and different style. See where it's got them. Now don't tell me the people today wearing hoodies haven't killed or commit crimes. Common sense rules.
  • by Justice for all on Mar 25, 2012 at 08:12 PM
    It is obvious that this matter is being used as a flash point to ignite civil unrest across the nation. I urge everyone to remember that we are all better than the mob mentality of this matter is making us appear. Remember the statement, "Never let a crisis go to waste"? Well, the media is generating a crisis out of this and using us all as tools. Stay the course, and wait for the justice system to do its job.
  • by God Bless America on Mar 24, 2012 at 02:54 PM
    In this heat? They sure do. Were they weraing those long shorts where you can hide a bazooka in. It would make me think twice. Wether the guys were black or white.
  • by Jane on Mar 24, 2012 at 09:59 AM
    Why was he suspended from school?
      by Anonymous on Mar 26, 2012 at 09:34 PM in reply to Jane
      Itdoesmatter?Thatsnotwhyhewaskilled
  • by Kevin aka Reality on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:45 PM
    WELCOME TO AFFIRMATIVE BLAXION... they want it both ways. To bleed us dry with 14 kids paid for by taxpayers , and the right to rob or accost anyone they feel like. They for the most part act like Adult sized delinquent loud moth children , and cry like babies when the consequence comes due I am sick of it.
  • by Lee on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:48 PM
    What is mugshot website?
  • by Mark on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:46 PM
    @NoWay--what is the mug shot website? His dad said he had never been in trouble. Amazing since he was serving a 5 day school suspension. Why did the lawyers block his school records? Hum!
      by hmmm on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:51 PM in reply to Mark
      it was a 10-day suspension is what I read.
  • by troy Location: tally on Mar 23, 2012 at 04:13 PM
    Black males. Are resposable for 68 percent of all violent crimes in America. Yet they are only 6 half percent of population. It makes everybody watch them n profile them. Blacks need to teach there kids how to act
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:53 PM in reply to troy
      I profile every hoodie I see. Every pants hanging down because I feel they have guns and cocaine in them. Say, how was TM holding his pants up carrying the iced tea and skittles? Now Jesse Jackson says black are being attacked. I never read so much BS in my life. And Black Panthers put out a sign Wanted Dead or Alive Zimmerman. How does the FBI allow that I want to know. Should the whites now start protesting?
  • by Tasha Location: Cairo, GA on Mar 23, 2012 at 03:12 PM
    I am really disappointed because if Trayvon had a weapon, that would have been the only reason to be threatened! He had a drink and Skittles....go do the math! George was wrong and he knows it and this case has nothing to do with the O.J. case...!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143919476 - wctv.tv/a?a=143919476