Trayvon's Mom Clarifies "It Was an Accident" Remark

By: CBS News
By: CBS News
Trayvon Martin

From left, Rev. Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin's parents Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, attend a news conference at the Washington Convention Center in Washington, Wednesday, April 11, 2012. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Trayvon's mom clarifies "it was an accident" remark

.(CBS NEWS) - Trayvon Martin's mother Sybrina Fulton is clarifying remarks she made Thursday morning that the shooting of her son by George Zimmerman was an accident.

Fulton was interviewed on NBC's "Today" show the morning after George Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder in the death of her son.

When asked what she would say if she could talk to Zimmerman face to face, Fulton said a person should apologize if they are remorseful. She then said she believed the shooting was an accident and things got out of control.

Later Thursday, in an interview with the Associated Press, Fulton said she referring to the chance nature of the encounter between Zimmerman and her son.

"Their meeting was the accident," Fulton said. "That was the accident. Not the actual act of him shooting him. That was murder ... They were never supposed to meet."

Fulton said Zimmerman's arrest is just a first step.

"This is just first base so we have a long journey, to do what we set out to do, which is to get justice for Trayvon."

• by Rob on Apr 17, 2012 at 02:21 PM
    Yes, Anonymous... the medications I take are ibuprofane & prednizone for my immune disorder. It doesn't affect my state of mind in any way, though. I can't stand it when people say Trayvon was murdered. Does it make any sense to... (I know it's hard to imagine you're going to murder someone... But if you were... would you call the non-emergency number and start telling them about the time & place & who you are, etc.?) See, it's ridiculous for people to try to suggest that. It had to be something gone wrong. And with the missing jewels, you put two and two together, plus the graffiti of WTF and things like that... I only hope that the 14 year old wasn't the one who gave him the gold and rare gems, etc. At least it proves he wasn't following anymore when he completely had his breath at the end of the call. Things are looking good for him except for the fact that at some point he or a family member may get murdered because of the hit the Black Panthers put at... somebody will be crazy enough to do it. Lord have mercy. They need to be prosecuted.
  • by Rob on Apr 17, 2012 at 01:22 PM
    Sorry, Anonymous... I wrote that sweet role model on that one post to try to get one through. You have a better chance to get a post to register on here if you write it in favor of Trayvon. I have been waiting 2 or 3 days since my last post, but it isn't appearing. It was more in favor of Zimmerman. I think the prosecuting attorney said he was sweet in her speech at the beginning when they charged him. Or maybe she said his sweet parents. It rubbed off on me when I was posting to see if I could get one on if I acted like I was in favor of Trayvon. Sorry. Actually, I agree with almost everything you usually say.
  • by Can't Wait Location: Crawfordville on Apr 16, 2012 at 04:02 AM
    The real injustice of this case is that Seminole County will spend millions of dollars prosecuting a man that evidence was not the primary reason for prosecution and he will eventually be aquitted. But don't let the facts confuse you Mr. Crump, you can still make some money with Civil Rights litigation, and really, that is what this is all about, a payday or a mother that was not. Lets redistribute wealth, mostly to Mr. Crumps pocket.
  • by Rob on Apr 16, 2012 at 03:56 AM
    A specail day should be set aside for Trayvon Martin. He was a only a young child, but he had so much potentail. I believe he was going to grow out of some of the things he had come in to such as the graffiti, being absent from school, etc. He had a wonderful smile & a love for life. I also hope the other 14 year old child is doing well & on the right track. Every year, when the day comes around all young children across the nation can try to learn to be responsible because of this occasion... making Trayvon's death not in vain. Be responsible to make our country a great world to live in. If somebody, or a friend tries to give you gold & jewlery, watches, and such riches turn the other cheak. Just say no. Tell them no thank you, you can keep it. If you want to give it away maybe you could take it to the police & they could divide it up to some of the unfortunate people who have been victims lately or had their apartments burglarized, etc. They can keep their eyes open and they can be the neighborhood watches across the country. If everybody chips in we won't even need the neighborhood watches like Zimmerman because the youth will already have it under control. It would be a great turn around for our country to get something good out of this & the world could be a great place.
      by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2012 at 05:46 AM in reply to Rob
      It would be a lot better world if parents did a better job of parenting Rob. Then you would not have youths disrespecting other people and property. Neighborhood watch programs are necessary in the real world because parents do not do their job of watching their children and they expect others to police their offspring. Let's also include those people who violate society's rules while we are at it as necessary things to watch, those who rob and hurt people. Trayvon should never have a day set aside for him. His behavior of swinging at a bus driver and slamming a man's head against concrete is not worthy of remembering as a "special time" in the year. Rather let's have a day when parents take more time with the children they have here now and learn to communicate better with them to prevent there being more Trayvon Martins in the world.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 14, 2012 at 03:39 PM
    @ litobit --On Apr 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM, you wrote ..." As I look to the right of this page, there are 7 shooting or murder stories! Makes no difference to me if they are white or black, people are just evil today and I don't see any hope left for this Human race! No one is safe any more or any where!"... 21 minutes later, at 11:57 PM, you wrote, ..." While I am against guns, except for maybe hunting, I really believe and I'm sure facts will back me up here, that more criminals use guns to commit crimes then law abiding citizens do." The 2 commments just don't seem to be in accord. Why are you, "against guns, except for maybe hunting", when you freely, and rightfully acknowledge, ... "people are just evil today and I don't see any hope left for this Human race! No one is safe any more or any where!" Please don't take this as an attack on you, I just don't understand your reasoning. Could you take a moment to explain? Thanks.
  • by Jess on Apr 14, 2012 at 01:56 PM
    Crump won't be able to go after the HOA unless they are the direct organizer of the Neighbor Hood Watch. This brings up another question. Fed and State governments and police agencies have been running various campaigns and adds telling people to "report suspicious" behavior. Now Corey uses said reporting as a basis for a felony charge. I recommend people take note of that little detail.
  • by Rob Location: Nevada on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    I see everyone else's posts on here & I would like to get on the bandwagon & see mine as well so all I have to say is I want to thank Tracy Martin and Al Sharpton for everything they've done & forcing Florida to arrest Mr. Zimmerman and bring him to Justice. And I hope that they prosecute him to the fullest possible extent of the law. I hope he gets life in prison for killing this wonderful young child that had so much potential & good in this world. He was a sweet role model in his otherwise short life.
      by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2012 at 08:04 PM in reply to Rob
      A youth takes a swing at a bus driver, defaces property, has an empty pot bag and jewelry that is not his own. He is on suspension 3 times and finally slams a man's head to concrete to beat him up. And you think this is a "sweet role model?" Rob what medication are you taking?
  • by Rob Location: Nevada on Apr 13, 2012 at 09:32 PM
    No, Anonyomous, actually it was a Black on Hispanic Crime. But luckily the Hispanic was able to defend himself.
  • by Rob Location: Nevada on Apr 13, 2012 at 09:16 PM
    The Mom's comment was taken out of contents. What she really meant was Trayvon was murdered in cold blood. It was only an accident that they happened to meet. Okay. Now if it was (I'm white) me, and my son was shot... And the police said there was going to be no arrest... Keep that thought. It was Trayvon's Father who said that the police had told him there wasn't going to be any arrest. Okay, so they told me that. And then say I went out and got Al Sharpton (Not him, but somebody like him)... And we made a big march in New York and all over the country and demanded that somebody be arrested after they had told me that there was not going to be an arrest... Well I think I would be arrested for trying to cause deaths, and riots, etc. I think the way it is in the United States in this day and age is... it comes in this order as far as the U.S. & Flordia sees it. Number 1. the Blacks Number 2. the Mexicans or Hispanics 3. Asians 4. Indians 5. Whites
  • by litobit on Apr 13, 2012 at 08:16 PM
    It's like they say, "there are always 2 sides to every story, and then there's the truth". I think it's totally unfair to attack this woman, she lost her son! There are an awful lot of really ugly and ignorant people making remarks about her character. And I guess the rest of you ignorant people never heard of the word"DIVORCE"! Why can't you all just shut your traps and let the judicial system do it's job? The only thing getting accomplished is proving to the rest of the world how truly racist and dumb you really are, and that goes for both sides!!!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 147232265 - wctv.tv/a?a=147232265