Weatherization Assistance Program

By: Lindsey Day Email
By: Lindsey Day Email

There is a light at the end of the tunnel for low-income families of Florida whose homes are not energy efficient. The Division of Housing and Community Development provides grants through their Weatherization Assistance Program.

Grant money is used for services such as repairing water heaters, installing insulation, repairing heating and cooling units, and much more. Funding comes from the United States Department of Energy and the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

This program seeks to improve the quality of living for certain members in the community. For more information, refer the the Florida Department of Community Affairs website: http://www.floridacommunitydevelopment.org/WAP/

• by Anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 05:37 PM
    DCA did not get shut down on June 30; the Department was abolished but all of its functions were transfered to other Departments. Including a newly created Department of Economic Opportunity. There is a transition period from July 1-September 30.
  • by Heather Location: Tallahassee on Jul 25, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    My husband works for a plumbing contractor and they have been installing these new energy efficient water heaters etc and most of the houses they are installed in have cars with big rims, wide screen tvs, etc. Good job guys with this decision!
      by frivolousfur on Jul 25, 2011 at 05:38 PM in reply to Heather
      I have been in many of these homes and while some of them do have nice cars and big tv's, just as many live in incredible poverty.
  • by JJ Location: at buffalo but's crib on Jul 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    moveing on up good times.
  • by lonnie Location: ga on Jul 25, 2011 at 09:35 AM
    i guess if all the gov. programs were done away with we would pay 1/2 the taxeswe pay.
  • by Outraged Location: Tallahassee on Jul 25, 2011 at 09:27 AM
    ...and soon we'll be paying these people health bills!
      by frivolousfur on Jul 25, 2011 at 05:39 PM in reply to Outraged
      Why is this so difficult for people to understand: we already pay the health bills in the form of higher insurance premiums, outrageous hospital bills, and doctor payments. This will ultimately lessen our costs because people will be able to go to a doctor rather than the emergency room.
        by tom on Jul 26, 2011 at 02:30 AM in reply to frivolousfur
        first, GOVERNMENT created the problem by passing a law that states one can go the ED and free care. Then when the hospitals start losing money, GOVERNMENT raises my taxes to give to my money to someone else to fix the problem GOVERNMENT created.... yehp you got it right.
  • by Kira on Jul 25, 2011 at 08:51 AM
    Ok This is response to all who has had negative comments... I have worked from the time I was 16 until I was injured and have not been able to work since I was injured and I live off of disability... I qualify for this program and its not only because Im low income but its cause I am unable to work... If I could go back to work I would gladly go back to work...
      by ...responding on Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM in reply to Kira
      Kira, perhaps you can get some work (even in s small capacity) in childcare - because you are caring for your own, right? There is a real need for childcare help.
      by Anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 01:08 PM in reply to Kira
      If you fiancee has a good job, why would you move? Why aren't you married?
        by frivolousfur on Jul 25, 2011 at 05:44 PM in reply to
        What right do you have to ask her why she isn't married? Maybe worry about your own business and not everyone else's.
      by frivolousfur on Jul 25, 2011 at 05:42 PM in reply to Kira
      Kira, give it up. Too many people here have a 'holier-than-thou' attitude. They don't care that you are disabled, they don't care how long you worked, and they obviously have never made a mistake or had anything bad happen in their lives. I'm appalled at the lack of compassion expressed by the people on this board. WWJD? I think he'd throw all of you money mongers out of the temple.
  • by dog Location: gone on Jul 25, 2011 at 06:37 AM
    And it only cost $!00.00 for someone to put in an energy effecent light bulb. The COST of this Program is Outrageous for what you get. GOV'T WASTE and miss use of TAXPAYER MONEY.
  • by Jim Location: Gadsden County on Jul 25, 2011 at 06:11 AM
    Government Assistance Program: Take money from someone that worked for the money. Lets called them taxpayers. And give the benefit to someone that didn't work for the money. Lets called them freeloaders. Thats a Government Assistance Program. Thats it plain and simple. I don't care if you're not low income. Wonder who paid the other 80%? Do you think the Framers of the Constitution ever envisoned the delegated powers given to the National government would evolved into a government that we have today. Like insulate someone attic. TV converter box coupons. Last I heard $1.34 billion had been allotted for this program. This is just two of the thousnds of programs using federal taxpeyers money. Your money given to someone else.
      by tom on Jul 25, 2011 at 06:35 AM in reply to Jim
      Thomas Jefferson would be proud of your post
        by jeff on Jul 25, 2011 at 09:33 AM in reply to tom
        george jefferson be proud tooooo.
      by Hey on Jul 25, 2011 at 06:46 AM in reply to Jim
      Dude, I work and have since a teenager. I got the audit and insulation. Guess what, I pay taxes, so I worked for it. I would imaging most people that own a home are taxpayers who work as well.
        by tom on Jul 25, 2011 at 07:20 AM in reply to Hey
        25% percent of Americans get MORE MONEY BACK ON THEIR RETURN THEN THEY PAID IN...... another 25% pay nothing. Only half of Americans pay income taxes. (and Obama let GE make 14 billion in profits and pay no taxes) Still does make it right for the government to borrow trillions from the Chinese and then to take money from one group to pay back the debt and another group gets "free" money to fix their house. We are at the tipping point in this country where too few are paying and too many are riding for free.
        by Jim on Jul 25, 2011 at 07:32 AM in reply to Hey
        @Hey. No Dude, just a citizen. Thanks for working. Thanks for paying your taxes. Congratulation on your home ownership. Thanks for reading my post.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 05:07 AM
    City of Tallahassee will do a free energy audit. We got an upgrade to our attic insulation for only around $50 (20%) of the total and we are not low income.
      by Anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 08:32 AM in reply to
      Different program.
  • by Worker Bee Location: Tallahassee on Jul 25, 2011 at 04:42 AM
    Free home improvemnt and free housing, free food, free medical care, free utilities, free phone land lines, free everything for the slackers. GET A FRIGGIN JOB!
      by Kira on Jul 25, 2011 at 08:53 AM in reply to Worker Bee
      I dont have free housing or food and Im unable to work... I have to use a cane to just walk around.. I receive this program only cause I have an infant and i only make 678 a month for my disability due to an injury at my job.... But I pay for everything else in my life....
        by Anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM in reply to Kira
        not working but still reproducing???
        by Anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM in reply to Kira
        If you only make 678 a month, why would you consider raising a child? How do plan on feeding, clothing, and pay for health care on $678 a month?
          by kira on Jul 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM in reply to
          My fiance works full time and Ive survived with a kid on much less and no help from the government I take care of my own.... The problem with pple who judge other pple is that they dont think some of us get hurt by protecting your freedoms.... My fiances job provides health care for my son... I never asked to get hurt on the job people in this state have a higher income rate where as where I used to live and am moving back I can get a 3 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood for half of what pple pay here
        by Anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 01:21 PM in reply to Kira
        So, you are clearly lying to someone about your finances. Either you support yourself on $678 or your fiance supports you...which is it?
      by granny on Jul 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM in reply to Worker Bee
      to worker bee, i have worked all my life . raised 6 kids , my husband was crippled . we never got no money back on income tax, we both had health ins, where we worked,employers does not offer ins any more like they used to, pple cannot afford to pay for it. everything is out of whackin this country, we pd icome taxes, never got any back, like i heard pple say got .i still wonder why we didn't.we can blame a lot of pple for whats going on. its all of us girls having babies and tax payers are paying for their good times food staps . pple are so lazy , kids do not have to work . we need to go back a few yrs and stat ovver. pple needs to work if they have to dig ditches, it won't kill them.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126094703 - wctv.tv/a?a=126094703