17-year-old Shot Multiple Times Near Valdosta H.S., Arrest Made

By: Valdosta Police Department Release
By: Valdosta Police Department Release

Valdosta, Georgia - November 9, 2011 -

An arrest has been made in the shooting of a 17-year-old Valdosta resident in the 2700 block of Sheridan Drive. Cornell Jahne Venus, 24-year-old Valdosta resident, has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault in the shooting of 17-year-old Ian Newsome. Additional charges are pending.

Valdosta Police Department Officers, Detectives, and a State of Georgia Parole officer made the arrest Tuesday night at approximately 9:15 pm. Venus was arrested at his place of employment, Cheddars Restaurant, Norman Drive, Valdosta, Georgia without incident. The arrest came after detectives spent the day talking to witnesses and following up on information given by citizens about the incident. Venus has previously served time in the Georgia Department of Corrections for robbery and was currently on parole at the time of the arrest.

Detectives are still investigating motive and the possibility of the victim having been mistaken by Venus as someone else.

Venus is currently being held at the Lowndes County Jail pending judicial proceedings.

Anyone having any information regarding this incident is urged to contact the Valdosta Police Department Bureau of Investigations at 229-293-3145 or can call the anonymous crime tip line at 229-293-3091.

_________________________________

Valdosta, Georgia - November 8, 2011 -

A 17-year-old Valdosta resident was shot multiple times as he was outside a neighbor’s residence at 1718 Sheridan Place. The 17-year-old and a witness were sitting in a car when a male described as a 6’0”, slender built, African American male wearing all dark clothing came from behind the residence on foot and confronted the two males. After the 17 year old was shot, the offender left the area on foot. The 17 year old received a grazing gunshot head wound and other gunshot wounds to his body. He was transported to South Georgia Medical Center for treatment and is currently in stable condition. Valdosta Police Department Officers, Detectives, and Crime Laboratory Personnel are currently working the case and trying to locate the offender.

Due to the close proximity of Valdosta High School to the incident scene, school personnel and the School Resource Officer was notified of the incident and the fact that the offender had not been apprehended. Precautionary safety measures were taken at the school.

At this time, the name of the victim is not being released as Detectives are attempting to determine if the offender and victim knew each other. For the safety of the victim and the witness, names are currently being withheld.

• by MRS.CARTER on Nov 15, 2011 at 03:54 AM
    WOW PEOPLE GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE IS NOT THE CAUSE OF PROBLEMS IN OUR SOCIETY. ITS SA FOR ONE TO THINKTHAT WAY. I RECEIVE ASSISTANCE AND I HAVE A JOB BUT WE ALL NEED ASSISTACE AT TIMES WE ARE ALL NOT FORTUNATE TO GET MARRIED OR FIND THE RIGHT MAN WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES WE ALL HAVE TO PAY SO WE DONT KEEP MAKING THE SAME MISTAKES WE DONT JUDGE PEOPLE THATS WHAT GOD OUR FATHER IS FOR!!! I PRAY ALL THE PEOPLE HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART AND THINK ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO RECEIVE ASSISTANCE AND ARE TRYING TO DO THE RIGHT THING TO RAISE OUR KIDS!!!
  • by Loyal friend on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:42 PM
    There are so many ignorant posts to this story. Y do we use race as a basis for everything? Lets focus on the big issue, major life changes for two young men. I am a friend of the shooter. I disagree with what he did but for those of you that dont know him he is a good guy and would do ANYTHING for the ppl he love. I am grateful that the victim lived. We all make mistakes but to God no one mistake is bigger than the other. Keep ya head up CJ. We know you are sorry for what you did. Only God can judge you.
      by Dee on Nov 10, 2011 at 07:56 AM in reply to Loyal friend
      This is EXACTLY why such nonsense goes on and is increasing - people like you who condone it. Are you kidding me?? It's OK to shoot someone???? It makes me sick to think that there is a segment of society who think that shooting one another is an acceptable choice. Unbelievable!
      by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2011 at 03:59 AM in reply to Loyal friend
      ...the solution is not to create the problem and then try to fix them. The solution is to stop creating them.
      by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2011 at 04:04 AM in reply to Loyal friend
      What was done to this teen was not a mistake. It was deliberate.
      by chili on Nov 29, 2011 at 09:48 AM in reply to Loyal friend
      and i have to disagree with you, you say he is a good and would do anything for ppl he love. well he aint such a good guy, look at what he does to ppl he dont love. if such a good guy it wouldnt, shouldnt matter if he knows the ppl or not, he would be a good guy to all ppl he met.
  • by Sarah Location: Florida on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    As I read the posts on this article, I could not believe the level of unintelligence some of the posters are showing. All children receiving assistance from the state are not bad and some have gone on to be good citizens in this country. All the blame can not be placed at the feet of the parents because peer pressure is the driving force. This is a serious issue in this country, race is not the contributing factor but the lack of respect for the laws of this country. I believe if all young people were required to join the military when they reach a cetertain age, then they will understand what it is like to be treated with tough love. The time has come for the people in this country to use TOUGH LOVE for all of our children. Let them know that the world does not owe them anything.
      by Frances on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM in reply to Sarah
      Oh yes you can place most of the blame on the parents because an individual's basic personality is formed by age 7. You know darn well there are a bunch of people (kids themselves oftentimes) who have absolutely no business having kids. The crazy thing is, the govt. is ENCOURAGING this! That is the fundamental problem, and all these programs that we throw money at for after school programs, activity centers, etc. etc., aren't going to do much when these kids are never disciplined or taught to respect anyone or anything including themselves. As far as your military idea - it would be good for the one needing the discipline etc., but it would NOT be good for the rest of the military who counts on others for their safety and very life often. Nope, that's not fair. Hold the parents responsible - when the little hoodlums start down their path of crime, usually age 11 or so, lock the parents up WITH their little darling. If they can't be bothered to discipline or teach proper life lessons otherwise, let them have some quality time behind bars. Perhaps then some of these parents would start to take their parenting more seriously. The rest of society is tired of funding and suffering the effects of irresponsible, lousy parents.
      by No reguard for human life on Nov 9, 2011 at 02:41 PM in reply to Sarah
      Sarah nobody said all children growing up receiving assistance from the state are bad. And I am sure some have gone on to become good citizens of this county. But we have given the crooks of the world and open door to deliberately get pregnant out of wedlock so they can receive government assistance for life and that is what a lot of them our doing. They are deliberately frauding the system. They are having children for a check Those children are growing up and killing us. Your denial enables them to continue to do it. I agree this is a serious issue in this country, which is why I write so much about it. I clearly wrote race was not the contributing factor that the government assistance programs were. The government assistance programs are sponsoring people who do not want to parent to have children. That is just crazy, especially when their kids are growing up, turning around and killing us. I think the government needs to allow people to manage them selves and stop trying to do it for them because the government does not manage anything efficiently especially raising children. I don’t think the government should require people to join the military. It is not the government’s job to teach your children tough love, or to teach your children the world owes them nothing nor should it be their job to support your children. That is your job. If you don’t want to do it, don’t have children.
      by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2011 at 03:35 AM in reply to Sarah
      I TOTALLY AGREE WIT SARAH ON THIS ISSUE FOR SOMEONE TO THINK GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE IS THE CAUSE OF VIOLENT CRIMES IS VERY IGNORANT! MOST KIDS DONT EVEN KNOW THEIR PARENTS RECIEVE GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE IM 2 YEARS OLD AND I DIDNT KNOW MY MOM USED ASSISTANCE TO TAKE CARE OF HER 3 KIDS TIL I BECAME GROWN BECAUSE MY MOTHER KEPT 2 JOBS. I NOW HAVE 3 KIDS I WORK TO TAKE CARE OF MY KIDS I ALSO USE ASSISTANCE TO HELP US GET BY TIMES ARE HARD FOR SOME OF US. I DONT BLAME ANYBODY FOR MY SITUATION I JUST PRAY ABOUT IT. PEOPLE RAISE THEIR KIDS THE RIGHT WAY ALL THE TIME THEY STILL END UP IN JAIL, DEAD, OR STRUNG OUT ON DRUGS WE DONT JUDGE THEM WE PRAY FOR THEM TO DO BETTER! I PRAY TAHT WHOEVER WROTE THAT COMMENT HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART! AMEN!!!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:50 AM
    If you truly want to see where the problems in Valdosta lie, then stay up one Friday or Saturday night and attend one of our elite establishments.... Club Sensations, Andy's or the Legion and you will see exactly what goes on and who is at fault!
      by T'ville on Nov 9, 2011 at 07:41 PM in reply to
      Who is at fault? I don't live in Valdosta, so I am curious about your statement. Are those "elite establishments" legally operated bars and clubs, or are they "after hours clubs"? What the hell is the Valdosta Police Dept. doing?
        by Anonymous on Nov 10, 2011 at 05:50 AM in reply to T'ville
        Just read the paper or search for news clippings at these establishments. This is where the majority of the shootings, gang activity and other criminal activity seems to be happening. Nice to see you are so quick to blame law enforcement... What are they supposed to do, sit down there and babysit?
        by Adult Child of an Alcoholic on Nov 11, 2011 at 03:56 AM in reply to T'ville
        Nobody pours liquor down their throat. They choose it on their own. Nobody makes them have children the do not want to raise, but the government sure does give them a lot of money and other incentives to bribe them into doing it. Children born by people frauding the Government Assistance programs are growing up and killing us. They have no re-guard for human life, because their parents had no reguard for human life stop allowing people to fraud the assistance programs...end the programs. Or get shot by one of their off springs
          by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2011 at 03:43 AM in reply to Adult Child of an Alcoholic
          YOU SAY END ASSISTANCE ARE U GOING TO GO AROUND HELPING THE PEOPLE WHO REALLY NEED THE HELP WHO WORK AND ITS STILL HARD FOR THEM TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR FAMILIES DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER READ IT FIRST HONEY IM TWENTY FIVE I RECEIVE ASSISTANCE I NEEDTHE HELP AND SO DO MY KIDS. I HAVE A JOB I HAVE BEEN WORKING SINCE I LAID MYSELF DOWN AT SIXTEEN TO HAVE MY FIRST CHID NOW IM WMAN ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF MY RESPONSIBILITIES I HAVE 3 IDS NOW I TAKE CARE OF THEM ALL BY MYSELF AND A LITTLE ASSISTANCE ALL OFUS WERNT FORTUNATE TO GET MARRIED TO THE FATHER OF OUR KIDS WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES WE LEARN FROM THEM WE PRAY SO WE WONT KEEP MAKING THEM.I PRAY YOU HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART. AMEN!!
  • by Steve Location: Not in Marietta on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:37 AM
    This forum should have nothing to do with race or religion. Some folks just cannot face the fact there are lower forms that are around us, animals. No mental illness issue here, just unrestrained rage and hatred, with a passion for violence. Race? Not even. Hoodrat thuggish behaviour? Absolutely.
      by Ho Ho Ho on Nov 9, 2011 at 07:44 PM in reply to Steve
      What...no "Thanx"??? Who are you, and what have you done with Steve (not in Marietta)? Or is that Jethro...I get you guys mixed up.
  • by TJ on Nov 9, 2011 at 07:53 AM
    How about attempted murder charges? How do you shoot someone multiple times without the intent to kill them?
  • by One Shot Location: One Kill on Nov 9, 2011 at 07:11 AM
    Attention to all thugs:I am marketing and selling firearms with sights on the side. They come in bright green,hot pink and a variety of other colors. They even have an optional spinner attachment for the barrel. Go to www.popdemcaps.com
  • by Enablers on Nov 9, 2011 at 06:56 AM
    We all want to point the finger at someone else. The reality is we sponsored people to have children that really and truly do not want to have children. They just wanted a check. So just give them the check, stop making child bearing a requirement.....or if that suggestion sounds insane to you ....perhaps we should consider just stopping the checks period.... Hold on to your seats everyone a whirled win of race cards are about to be thrown....
      by STATE WORKER on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:18 AM in reply to Enablers
      Looks like you started by throwing the first card. Stupid!
        by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 02:19 PM in reply to STATE WORKER
        ...No I did not. There is nothing racist what so ever in my comment. You are lying. My writing threatens your funding so you lie and call me a racist to try to discredit me. I would not be a racist, lier or a anything else that would destroy my creditability you on the other hand would. You just flat out lied about me and it is clear to everyone to see. My friend you are the one with creditability issues not me.
  • by Jim Location: Gadsden County on Nov 9, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    Where are the stunned and surprised people........
  • by No reguard for human life on Nov 9, 2011 at 03:27 AM
    Children raised by dysfunctional parents that had them solely for a check, are growing up and killing us. We should not be paying people, that just want a check, to have children. We should just give them the check. Why are we making them have children 1st in order to get the money? Why don't we just give them the money?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133463258 - wctv.tv/a?a=133463258