Florida Highway Trooper Charged with DUI on Duty

By: AP
By: AP

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (AP) --

A Florida Highway Patrol Trooper has been charged with driving under the influence while she was on duty.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office says 36-year-old Lisa Orshowitz failed sobriety tests Tuesday. She was arrested and taken to jail, where she later posted $350 bail. It was not immediately known if she has an attorney.

Authorities say she was driving her patrol car when she struck a
curb and blew out a tire. She stopped at the courthouse in Delray
Beach and used a radio to call for help.

According to her arrest affidavit, troopers said her words
sounded slurred, her eyes were bloodshot and she was uneasy on her feet.

The Stuart News reported that she told troopers she took an extra sleeping pill before she went to bed.

• by Rafeeqah Location: TLH on Dec 21, 2010 at 01:43 PM
    @Logical - why was she taking a sleeping pill while on duty? And DUI does not mean driving drunk...it means driving under the influence of any substance that can impair one's driving like, ummm, pills designed to make you fall asleep. D'oh!
  • by Logical Location: Florida on Dec 20, 2010 at 09:27 AM
    This is for all of you idiots out that have never walked the walk and those are walking the walk at this point time,"Shut Up"!!The same things that you went through to get where you are was the same things that FHP troopers went through to become offiers and then some. The standards are high for any officers and greater the risk. There isn't any officer out there that hasn't been a .08 at some point if they drink. This officer said it was a sleeping pill which could well likely be true. He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.He or she that is perfect then consider yourself to be blessed;yeah right. When need an officer it doesnt matter what they wear at that particular time, you need a rescuer. A person that works crashes,works very little or whatever. Haven't had a lot good things to happen with me rge FHP but continue to respect those guys, any stop could be their last. So wise up,human we are, mistakes will happen, ask anyone who didn't vote for Rick Scott, wait and see.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 17, 2010 at 05:55 AM
    if he was drunk he needs to be fired and everyone he has ever given a ticket needs to have that ticket revoked and off their record.
  • by Sammy Location: FL on Dec 17, 2010 at 05:02 AM
    To Jodie, you must be married to a DOT or FHP or be a criminal that loves them - because they practically do nothing! I can't wait until Rick Scott trims their budgets!!!
  • by Jodie Location: Wakulla on Dec 16, 2010 at 07:45 PM
    I have such high reguards for our FHP..however..I was not surprised to see that the place that this happened was my home town of Delray....jeez....BTW still love my FHP AND DOT...the rest of the locals that hold badges..NOT SO MUCH!!!....
  • by Chris Location: Tally on Dec 16, 2010 at 02:29 PM
    If she would've been in the kitchen like she was supposed to, this wouldn't have happened.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    To Zumi Location: Tallahassee you said "DW -- I can't speak for anyone else, but, I assure you, I hold nothing but the utmost respect for our law enforcement professionals" if you have the most utmost respect for law enforcement officers try going to Liberty County, FL they are the biggest idiots I have ever encountered in my life. They think "I have this badge on I can to anything I want to you and you can't do anything about it". They play the good ole boy system (yeah worse than Wakulla County). I wish a federal agency would do an investigation on them and clean that county up.
  • by Cindy Location: florida on Dec 16, 2010 at 08:07 AM
    FHP has been a joke for a long time. They're pay hasn't kept up and they have lots of rejects now.
  • by Ya Ya Location: Wakulla on Dec 16, 2010 at 07:46 AM
    Innocent until proven a Sheriff. Only Sheriffs are allowed to drink and drive provided they hit and run and are corrupt. FHP has much higher standards. The officer should be reassigned to WCSO where DUI is not illegal for LEO.
  • by Anti Location: Tally on Dec 16, 2010 at 07:22 AM
    One bad apple should not spoil the lot, FHP is a fine organization that does alot of good work. These men and women go out and put their lives at risk everytime they pull someone over. I know alot of troopers and they are people just like us, doing a thankless job. Please don't paint all of FHP with the same brush as this one careless trooper.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111946669 - wctv.tv/a?a=111946669