Man Accused of Stealing Dog in Liberty County

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

Marty Woodroe Howard, age 47, is accused of Grand Theft.

The Liberty County Sheriff's Office received a call over the weekend that several dogs had been stolen in the area between Highway 65 and Forest Road 105.

The original caller, Jeremiah Johnson, reported his hunting dog missing on the 20th. He attempted to find the dog with a tracking collar that he should have had on.

The Sheriff went over to Howard's place and found the missing dog in a dog box, and the tracking collar deactivated. Howard's was arrested and sent to Liberty County Jail with $5,000 bond, which was posted on Sunday.

The dog is an estimated worth of $100, and the collar $150. Howard's is from Apoka, FL and says that he was in Liberty County hunting with friends.

• by Mr. Green Jeans Location: Volusia County on Jan 30, 2011 at 07:52 PM
    It's hard to call Marty a hunter, there is not much that fits between him and the real word huter. I have known him twenty years, from before he caused a boating accident which resulted in the death of one of his friends, while he was impaired and out with his girlfriend. He had to go home and get rid of her before he could take to the officers. Corn around his stand on St John River Water Manage Area when that wasn't allowed, striking an old man who had asked HIM to leave his property and not hunt on it, the old man still looked terribe a week later, swelled and bruised. Has been JOB SECURITY for FWC Officers in the past, always gave them something to look into. All I got to say is that a white tailed deer, two or four legged will get a man in trouble real quick.
  • by Deer Hunter Location: Hwy 20 Resident ALSO! on Jan 28, 2011 at 04:52 PM
    First of all my family dog hunts, you can bash us all you want but me & my husband have dang good jobs & are not out trashing the roads WE DO NOT DRINK OR DO DRUGS, this hobby is for FUN! dont' knock till you try it big boys & girls!!! ALSO, WE are not lazy for dog hunting IF YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! IT'S BREED IN THESE DOGS TO HUNT IDIOTS!!!!...GET A GRIP! & GET A LIFE!
  • by Highway 20 Resident Location: Tallahassee on Jan 26, 2011 at 04:48 PM
    @: HA Location: Crawfordville on Jan 26, 2011 at 08:40 AM: Thanks for the PUN on eating dogs. @Bolillo Location: Wakulla on Jan 26, 2011 at 07:10 AM: Amen...Run dogs run. Come to my house, I will take care of you. @RetiredMarine Location: Tallahassee on Jan 26, 2011 at 02:47 PM: Thank You.
  • by Dog Hunting women Location: tally on Jan 26, 2011 at 01:09 PM
    I hunt I love to hunt, My club don't get out there and trash the woods. Blame on them south Florida boys. They come here and steal our dogs, trash our woods. I don't like the fact that people on here are bashing what has been a way of life for generations. My family has hunted for a lot of years and i just got back into hunting when i met my boyfriend last year and now my 12 year old daughter is a die hard hunter and for the people who leave dead deer on the side of the road well they give good Ole boys a bad reputation. I agree with someone from pervoius post about shooting them when they are eating. I love to run dogs my family done it all my life it's what i know. Congrads to the sheriff office for another good deed done.
  • by RetiredMarine Location: Tallahassee on Jan 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    Oh yeah, hunters add their trash in the way of beer bottles, food wrappers and other debris, pitstops without covering the toilet paper and whatever else they leave behind. And that is rouitine, not to mention how badly the tear up the roads along with the little kiddies in their 4x4's. And just because your Great Granpappy did it doesn't make it right. Unless of course Jim Crow laws and bootlegging is okay with you? And if you hunt the Forest off of H2O it's perfectly legit to use the term " drunk redneck " when describing the majority of those who run dogs....
  • by HAHAHA on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    HA - You are one sick puppy. But I get, you live in Crawfordville where dog is a evidently a staple on your tables cause that is the first recipe I ever got for dog. Please don't share any more recipes with us. Thanks
  • by HA Location: Crawfordville on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:40 AM
    I love dog hunting. They taste great. you use alot of curry and slow cook them. Its southern tradition we eat it with our dads uncles granddads and other male role models. The walker hounds are the best but you can not beat sharing a barbaqued beagle with your male role models, we even save some for our moms and grandmas.
  • by Dog Hunter Location: Apalachicola National Forest on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:39 AM
    Hunters dont trash up the woods, the idiots do. Where are the trash areas? Along highways with high residential habitations. For all of you that are misguided in running deer with dogs saying it is easy, try it sometime. Hunting over a corn pile or attracting deer with scents is much easier, the deer is standing still with their head on the ground eating then pow they are dead. Runnig them gives them a much better chance. The majority of deer that are run with dogs get away and live another day. There are a few bad apples in the bunch (as is everywhere) that will end up ruining it for all. Dog running teaches our children to respect nature and the environment. When S FL comes up after their season closes they steal dogs, break the law and trash up the woods on a regular basis. Finally one of them will get what he deserves. I have hunted all over the ANF and can tell you there are areas that are pristine and areas that are disrespected daily. You do the riding and see for yourelf.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 26, 2011 at 04:45 AM
    HIGHWAY 20- Hunting with dogs is a southern tradition and a way of life. My g'father hunted with dogs to survive and we continue to eat what we kill. I am so tired of the anti-dog and non-hunters trying to destroy this way of life. Our kids are learning a lot of valuable things. First they spend time with their dads,uncles,granddads, male role models. (Don't even send the response about the southern redneck drunks.) And moms and grandmas hunt too. A lot of kids could benefit from that. Second they are in the woods. The learn to respect nature, the habitat, guns and their elders. They learn not to throw their trash in the woods and to and leave it the way they found it. They learn how to manage wildlife and how to clean a deer. 99% of deer hunted with dogs live to see another day!!haha boys/girls! It is better than piling food on the ground, letting the dumb deer get used to the food source,then shootin them. When they eat your garden you vegetarians will pay me to save your food supply.
  • by Bolillo Location: Wakulla on Jan 26, 2011 at 04:10 AM
    Hey, Hwy. 20. Dog hunting is almost as bad as baiting with corn, but not quiet as bad. Could you imagine shooting a deer with a mouth full of apple flavored corn. Now that's hunting!! Deer dogs. Every dog hunter\owner in Wakulla County keeps their dogs pinned up for 11 months a year. Poor poor critters. Dogs don't really hunt. They try try to escape so they won't have to go back to jail for the next year. There ought to be a law.....
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114526084 - wctv.tv/a?a=114526084