TPD, LCSO Arrest Suspect Stealing Food at Publix

By: LCSO / TPD Joint Media Release
By: LCSO / TPD Joint Media Release

Tallahassee, Florida - November 3, 2011 -

On November 2, 2011 at approximately 5:16 p.m., the Tallahassee Police Department responded to the Publix at 800 Ocala Road to assist Sheriff Larry Campbell with a suspect in a petit theft. Sheriff Campbell was inside the Publix when he was told by the store loss prevention officer a suspect was stealing food items. Sheriff Campbell left the store upon learning the suspect’s description while store employees called TPD to report the incident.

TPD officers arrived at the store as Sheriff Campbell was able to locate and detain the suspect at West Pensacola Street and Ocala Road. In a joint effort, TPD and LCSO were able to arrest the suspect and charge him with petit theft of over $50 worth of groceries.

“This is a great example of law enforcement within our community working together to arrest criminals and keep our community safe” said Chief Dennis Jones.

Sheriff Larry Campbell said, "It doesn’t matter what color we are wearing, just that the closest one got there, arrested the suspect and recovered the property."

• by Cory Location: St. Petersburg on Nov 29, 2011 at 08:36 PM
    "to keep our community safe." Yeah this DANGEROUS criminal who committed the crime of being hungry is off the street. Gee, I feel so much safer. Instead of arresting him, why not refer him to an agency that could help him. ....by the way before more racist comments are made, 40 year old white guy here with a master's degree who HAS experienced hunger. I never stole, but I was tempted. Believe me.
  • by SuSu Location: Tallahassee on Nov 5, 2011 at 07:19 PM
    Well I have seen people steal from stores time and time again...Never in the News...This guy just got his 15 minutes of fame thanks to L. Campbell....Sorry he was hungry!!I have been hungry, its not a good feeling...yes there are food banks, but the line is 3 hours long, or only on a certain day, and not all are on a bus line, if you have the money to ride....I have a job, car, electricity, and I still need help, oh by the way I am White, no Children, 54 years old. Female...God Bless all of those Homeless and Hungry, I do think about you....
      by luvmykidz on Nov 5, 2011 at 07:59 PM in reply to SuSu
      It is an awful feeling not knowing where your next meal will come from...a parent will do anything to feed their children. not sure if he had kids but I know I would steal if I had too to feed them
        by Jake on Nov 5, 2011 at 08:50 PM in reply to luvmykidz
        Dave Ramsey.com It works out really good if you follow the directions.
      by Sjeila on Nov 6, 2011 at 05:42 AM in reply to SuSu
      An earlier post states the culprit consistently steals and he was NOT stealing food. There's a difference, in my opinion, between stealing food and items for pleasures.
  • by THE REAL TRUTH on Nov 5, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    IT IS SAD TO HEAR THAT ANYONE IS DOING WRONG IN ANY CRIME OR SHOULD I SAY A SIN. BUT WE ALL MUST REALIZE TIMES ARE HARD . AND EVENTHOUGH YOU WANT TO ADMIT SIN DON'T HAVE A COLOR OR AS THIS NATION CALL [CRIME]. JUST KEEP READING. WE ALL SIN. BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I STILL HAVEN'T MET THAT PERFECT PERSON YET.
      by ??? on Nov 6, 2011 at 07:33 AM in reply to THE REAL TRUTH
      Translation please.
        by Translation on Nov 7, 2011 at 08:32 AM in reply to ???
        They said: "Obammy told me he would take care of me. I'm still waitin on that check from Joe Da Plumber - I had to steal, it was that or get a job!"
  • by Help Me Understand on Nov 5, 2011 at 08:54 AM
    When the economy was going down hill with the senseless war. Did we blame the President George Bush for the crimes people commit. We can thank him and the others before that people resort to stealing to eat. Its sad the economy has come to this for people. We fall to look at the Governor whom is fighting so hard to make President Obama look bad that he has no time to care about the well being of Florida....Can we please solve the issues and look beyond people skin color.
  • by julie bater Location: leon on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    publix is to high anyway. you go dog.
  • by Andreas Mackey Location: Jacksonville , Fl on Nov 4, 2011 at 06:32 PM
    A guy is stealing $50 worth of food.the sheriff and tpd Wow big story.News worthy.
  • by anonymous on Nov 4, 2011 at 04:49 PM
    Shoplifting's big news now? And it took two agencies? After this past weekend's crimes? Good grief. Yes, he broke the law, but was this worth the space?
      by jw on Nov 5, 2011 at 07:14 AM in reply to anonymous
      YES. YES. YES, Now maybe others want make my gro bill any higher to cover the cost of stolen food etc.
  • by Lady on Nov 4, 2011 at 01:17 PM
    I feel bad that this guy felt the need to steal food but wrong is wrong! Stealing is a crime. There are community resources to help families put food on the table. I work part-time for Publix (still fairly new) and I want to say Publix actually donates food that they can't sell but is still good to eat to local food banks. I would bet money that if the guy came into my store and talked to the manager and told him his situation, he would have given that man a giftcard to help feed his family. My store manager (and many that work at other Publix stores) are that nice...seriously!
  • by Geoff P. Location: Havana on Nov 4, 2011 at 01:08 PM
    Why should it matter who catches the thieving fool? This person broke the law and thank goodness someone was there to arrest him. I, as well as everyone else has to pay high prices at the grocery store. This thief is probably already recieving food stamps from the tax payers of Florida: why should we have to pay higher prices due to shop-lifting because of ungreatful idiots such as this fool. Way to go Sheriff Campbell and all LEO involved. Throw the book at this guy!
      by Cory on Nov 29, 2011 at 08:38 PM in reply to Geoff P.
      Food stamps max out at 300 bucks a month. Can YOUR family eat on 10 bucks a day? I sure can't and I'M SINGLE.
  • by Power Move Location: Leon County on Nov 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    We must help and pray for those families who are in need of food and shalter.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133174468 - wctv.tv/a?a=133174468