Former Tallahassee Car Dealer Arrested for Tax Evasion

May 10, 2012 by Julie Montanaro

A Tallahassee used car salesman is accused of pocketing more than 60-thousand dollars in sales tax.

Rodney Davis was arrested and accused of failing to turn over $63-thousand in sales tax to the state of Florida.

According to the Department of Revnue, Davis used to own Victory Motors at 2523 West Tennessee Street.

A DOR spokeswoman says Davis failed to turn over sales tax he collected from his customers and he failed to file tax returns six times in a row.

Davis faces up to 15 years in prison and $10,000 in fines if he's convicted. That's in addition to the stolen tax, interest and penalties.

• by Mia Location: Tallahassee on May 15, 2012 at 01:32 PM
    I bought a car from this man and had nothing but trouble once I left the lot with it. After I paid $3600 for a vehicle and putting over $1200 in repairs into it, I still don't have a decent vehicle to drive. Karma will get you!
  • by Anonymous on May 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    I bought a car from this man less than 8 months ago. He charged me for a tag but did not go to the dmv to file the paper work. after calling him 10 times a day for a month he finally delivered the tag which cost less than what i paid him. he is a dishonest man.
  • by Junior on May 11, 2012 at 02:46 PM
    OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!! I'm telling his mama
  • by Old Customer Location: Tallahassee on May 11, 2012 at 02:44 PM
    Finally he got caught. He stole $200 from me in the early 90's at that time. I really couldn't afford to lose it. I was homeless too...He was a salesperson and took a deposit from me and when I went back he lied. Just desserts Rodney...No deed goes unpunished...
  • by Anonymous on May 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    Areal thug.
  • by Anonymous on May 11, 2012 at 06:00 AM
    Show me the CarTax
  • by Marie Location: talahassee on May 11, 2012 at 05:42 AM
    WoW truthbetold that is kinda a rude racsit comment dont you think? I didnt know crimes had color!? Criminals come in all shapes and colors.
  • by TruthBeTold on May 11, 2012 at 05:29 AM
    Rodney - Don't you know this is a white man's crime that you cannot get away with? Make sure you let the judge know you want the same punishment they get - a slap on the wrist.
      by GV on May 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM in reply to TruthBeTold
      yeah,like that white man in the senate,uh,let me think,what was that white man's name,charlie rangel?
  • by George Location: Tally on May 11, 2012 at 05:05 AM
    YOu might as well start withe the Patels as well. They have a bad habit of not paying the sales taxes they collect. One in Albany owed State of Ga over $300,000.00 in sales and gas tax not paid. Course leaders in Ga didn't know this until he had skipped country. This man is just a drop in the bucket.
      by GV on May 11, 2012 at 07:03 AM in reply to George
      This is in Tallahassee.Tallahassee is in Fl.What does Georgia have to do with this?
        by Anonymous on May 11, 2012 at 01:06 PM in reply to GV
        Florida has taxes, and Georgia has taxes. Not paying taxes is illegal in both states. Is that simple enough for you?
      by Me on May 11, 2012 at 03:06 PM in reply to George
      If they are any kin to the ones that own the Gas Mart in Woodville, it doesn't surprise me. When you make a purchase, if they see you are paying with cash, they will void the transaction and ring it up on a different register. All cash is paid on one register.
  • by Doesn'tMatter on May 11, 2012 at 04:50 AM
    Keep in mind, this man had three other dealers working under him. Independently. I want to see how many rush in to help him now. They had a part in this as well. He trusted the wrong people. Rodney is one of the nicest men I know. A true gentleman. So don't be so quick to judge. In his case it just proves that the nice guy gets screwed.
      by yikespeople on May 11, 2012 at 07:33 AM in reply to Doesn'tMatter
      I'm pretty sure that he was aware that he was not paying taxes as he sold cars and did the paperwork with the buyers himself. I'm also pretty sure that he did not tell others that he kept the tax money. That just sounds silly. Why blame someone else instead of taking responsibility.
        by Really Yikespeople on May 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM in reply to yikespeople
        Really Yikespeople, doesn't the photograph make the answer to that crystal clear? I don't understand how it could not . . .
          by Tom on May 11, 2012 at 03:19 PM in reply to Really Yikespeople
          "Really Yikespeople, doesn't the photograph make the answer to that crystal clear?" Why yes - yes it does!
          by Yikespeople on May 11, 2012 at 03:47 PM in reply to Really Yikespeople
          I sure hope that you are not referring to his color because if you are, that has NOTHING to do with it. Nor does his age. Plenty of people (young, old, black, white, purple) are dishonest and selfish. I was referring to Doesnt matters comments that place blame on others instead of this man taking responsibility for his bad choices.
        by about the blaming..... on May 12, 2012 at 06:17 AM in reply to yikespeople
        Doesn't surprise me at all...look at the blame being shouted from the white house as to the reasons for people's problems. I would say roughly 45 percent of this country has been taught to blame, instead of taking responsibility.
          by Yikespeople on May 12, 2012 at 07:21 AM in reply to about the blaming.....
          and that solves nothing my friend. It just keeps the problem alive. Sad really......
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 151035805 - wctv.tv/a?a=151035805