Bicyclist Taken to Hospital After Being Struck by Car

By: Eyewitness News
By: Eyewitness News

Tallahassee, FL -- September 12, 2011 --

Authorities tell WCTV that a vehicle versus bicyclist accident happened at around 3:00 pm this afternoon.

Officials say the accident happened at the corner of West Call and Chapman Streets. The driver of the car and the bike were traveling east bound when the car turned right and struck the bicyclist. That person was taken to a local hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

No citations have been handed out at this time, but the accident remains under investigation

• by Orsen on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    Two wheels bad, four wheels good! Pedestrians too, who cares if pedestrians can legally use a crosswalk? They shouldn't be in the road, trying to cross my sacred car space! If you're in my way, you must be wrong!
  • by ConservativeHippie on Sep 14, 2011 at 01:35 AM
    I'll start worrying about bicyclists who break the law when motorists begin to obey the law. Just last week I had taken the lane in preparation for making a left turn at an intersection controlled by a stop sign. As I was approaching the intersection a car coming up from behind changed lanes and was so intent on passing the bicycle that they blew right through the stop and the intersection. Just pure dumb luck that there wasn't another car coming on the cross street which has a speed limit of 45, so this fool didn't kill somebody. What this fool should have done is stay behind me and wait just as they should have with any other vehicle on the road, and it wouldn't have taken any longer. But I guess their piddly little errand was more important to them than their life or the life of someone in another car.
  • by Frances on Sep 13, 2011 at 06:37 PM
    Bicyclists should also have to follow the SAME rules as motorists. NO passing on the right side while vehicles are stopped for red lights. If you're on roadways WITH automobiles, no cruising through crosswalks as if you're a pedestrian. Bicyclists should have to purchase license tags and a driver's license like all other motorists.
      by Agreed on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM in reply to Frances
      Cyclists do have to follow the same rules, and they get to use sidewalks too. Come ride with us; it's fun! But of course, you might make a driver angry and they apparently then have the right to run you down- that part is not so fun.
  • by Cautious Driver Location: Tally on Sep 13, 2011 at 02:28 PM
    I hate to say this since it will probably make a lot of people unhappy, but until the law bans talking on cell phones & texting while driving, more of these accidents will happen. There are enough distractions inside & outside a vehicle without adding instruments, like cell phones, that encourage inattention. I mean, this is Tallahassee, a small town compared to New York City and you see bicycles weaving in & out of traffic all the time on tv. I don't know what their bicycle vs automobile statistics are, but if you can ride a bicycle in New York City and survive, riding in Tallahassee even at rush hour should be a piece of cake. Bicyclists, knowing that they're up against at least a two ton vehicle need to be aware of their surroundings & drive defensively. Drivers should also be aware of their surroundings and pay attention to cyclists & pedestrians who don't stand a chance against a motorcycle, car, bus, or truck. Just saying.
  • by TwoWheelsOneLife Location: Tallahassee on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    I'm not playing in the road, I'm trying to get to work, home, the grocery store, the bank, etc...just like you. I wear a helmet, I don't ride with headphones or earbuds, I obey every signal, I signal every turn (although I'm sure only 10% of you know the hand signals anyway) and I am constantly aware of every vehicle and potential escape route in my immediate vicinity. I know there are many on bikes who are not as vigilant or careful. I am also aware that my chances of getting struck while pedaling to work are just as great as yours....however my chances of being gravely injured are far greater. For whatever reason they choose to be there, bicycles are classified as vehicles by state law and have a right to be on the road. All that said, I would love to ask for courtesy and awareness, but really I would settle for people learning to share the road with all vehicles. At the end of the day we have to ask ourselves if we really want to be responsible for injuring or killing another human being. If your answer is yes...I'm not sure there is anything left to say.
      by Ima on Sep 13, 2011 at 02:56 PM in reply to TwoWheelsOneLife
      Unfortunately you're in the minority. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen bicyclists - with fancy helmets, bike outfits, bike gear - BLOW through red lights like they don't apply to them. Why don't you ask your friends on bikes to comply with the law too, then maybe they'd get some respect.
  • by Sidewalk rider on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Both sidewalks and roads are legal for bikes in Leon County.
      by Ima on Sep 13, 2011 at 02:57 PM in reply to Sidewalk rider
      And yet I've seen bicyclists riding OUTSIDE the bike lane in the middle of major roadways. What's up with that? Is it a challenge to motorists?
        by commuter on Sep 14, 2011 at 06:08 AM in reply to Ima
        the full right hand lane is also legal: if it's unsafe near the curb, or the road is a two lane road, bikes are supposed to occupy the lane and cars need to pass just as if passing another slow car.
      by Laura on Sep 13, 2011 at 03:23 PM in reply to Sidewalk rider
      Thanks! That's good to know!
  • by Anonymous on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    "I think you can get a ticket for riding a bicycle on a sidewalk." Yeah, you can. But if the cops hassle you, ask them if they would let THEIR kids ride on the road here in Tallahassee. You'll get off with a warning. I've done that more than a few times. I will respect the laws, unless obeying them will get me killed. And in this case, it will.
  • by Dan Location: Tally on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    Cars & Bikes: folks use both legally to get A to B; some drive well, some don't; some cause accidents, some don't; and distraction generally is the problem for most accidents. Put phones and earphones away. Everyone.
  • by Jake Location: Tallahassee on Sep 13, 2011 at 08:24 AM
    Cyclists get out of the road. Don't ride the white line and by all means if there is more than one cyclist ride SINGLE FILE ! The roads are serious business. Play somewhere else.
      by Serious Driver on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM in reply to Jake
      Drivers pay attention. Don't ride into the other vehicles (bikes) and by all means ride SINGLE FILE behind the bike until you can pass safely! The roads are serious business. Talk on your phone somewhere else.
  • by Elizabeth Location: Tallahassee on Sep 13, 2011 at 07:51 AM
    what part of BIKE TRAILS do this dumb bike riders NOT UNDERSTAND??? take the buds out of your ears. There are sooooo many trails in Tallahassee I ride them everyday
      by Laura on Sep 13, 2011 at 08:21 AM in reply to Elizabeth
      Elizabeth, bicycles aren't just for exercise. They're modes of transportation and not every road has room to put in bike lanes. Not everyone has a car and some cannot afford to take the bus or a cab everywhere. I agree with you, though, that they shouldn't be wearing earbuds when they ride. The same goes for people walking and jogging. I've seen plenty of pedestrians walk right in front of cars as if no one else in the world existed.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129690733 - wctv.tv/a?a=129690733