[UPDATE] Putting a Stop to Florida's Red Light Cameras

By: Capitol News Email
By: Capitol News Email

TALLAHASSEE --- 5/4/11 --- 5:15PM:

The Florida House voted to repeal red light cameras on Monday… but the Senate refuses to take up the bill. The Senate Sponsor Rene Garcia isn’t going down without a fight. He’s working with chamber leaders to find a way to get his bill heard. The hang up is the price tag on removing the devices.

“I’m being cautiously optimistic. I’m working with the senate president, but really my big hang up is with (Senator) J.D. Alexander because of the 70-million dollar impact to the state,” said Garcia.

Meanwhile the House isn’t waiting on the Senate. They loaded up a Senate bill with provisions that would make it harder for cities and counties to install red light cameras. There are just two days left in the legislative session.

________________________________

TALLAHASSEE -- 5/3 --- 4:26pm

Monday, the Florida House passed a bill to put an end to all red light cameras in Florida knowing the Senate would not take the bill up. Today the House amended a Senate bill to prohibit people who make a right turn on red from being ticketed because of a red light camera. Sponsor Richard Corcoran of Port Richey says it was a strategic move to try and get something from the Senate.

“Well, what I think a lot of people raised about, what they don’t like at all about red light cameras, even if they support red light cameras, is ticketing people if they turn right on red.” Corcoran said. “That wasn’t what they believed the bill was for. So all we’ve said is that from now on you can’t ticket right on reds.”

The legislation also says that no city or county can install a red light without first having a study of the intersection to determine whether the camera will make the intersection safer or not.

• by felix Location: apopka on May 10, 2011 at 07:22 PM
    hey when the cameras are outlawed will we get a refund???? or will it be the same as the impact fees -$500.00 dollars charged to people moving to florida-how much do you think martin-marrieetta received from this farce ???????
  • by julie Location: apopka on May 10, 2011 at 06:59 PM
    i moved in jan 2011-2miles down the road -i got three red light tickets -never had any traffic citations -now 3 in one day - i made the quota for that day... but i report the drug runners in my new neighborhood no one gives a damm -they sell out in the middle of the street. very wrong ..the laws and govt are so corrupt -how can one say god bless america -i will not pay another nothing .....i have two kids to feed and clothe and have shelter for...maybe i will quit work and get welfare or some assitance -the cameras are only for honest working people .......to fill the theives pockets ........vote for stopping the corruption ........
  • by felix Location: apopka florida on May 10, 2011 at 06:44 PM
    hell fire i never got a ticket in my 40 yrs -on jan 1st 2011 -i went out to the dollar store and to get a pizza -i do not drink or do drugs-i pride myself as a good law abidding citizen and 3 weeks later i get a camera ticket in the mail for $158.00 dollars-the picture showed a green light and a red light no in between ???i have a safe driver license.now -i try to avoid going my route -you cannot judge when when the light will change to red -what a nightmare to butter someones pockets with our money- we need for food or medicine -i will not pay another one -take us all to the jail and ruin our credit and suspend honest folks safe driver licenceses-the govt can stuff it -get the damm crimminals -- i will not pay my contitution says it is wrong....................
  • by teresa on May 5, 2011 at 06:45 PM
    It always comes down to taking from the public. The Mayor and Commissioners have stolen enough through their deferred comp AND Marks' votes!
  • by Crooked Televangelist With Perfect Hair on May 5, 2011 at 02:13 PM
    Jesus would miracle the light green. No ticket for him!!
  • by catherwood Location: Popash on May 5, 2011 at 09:39 AM
    Provide communities with the funds to buy more cameras. Save lives. I'm looking at my scars right now.
  • by Crimson Brotha Location: Tallahassee on May 5, 2011 at 08:56 AM
    Ahhh! It really is about the money? The good citizens were told it was about safety and saving lives, yet when it gets down to the house and senate it's all about the money to remove the things and about the revenue the state would lose. Who told us the lie and when will they be up for election. Get rid of the lie and the mouth that spewed it.
  • by girlygirl Location: tallahassee on May 5, 2011 at 08:22 AM
    I turn right on red, where it is legal to do so, all the time and have never been ticketed! Hey, I don't like those cameras at Publix that keep me from shoplifting either..can we have those removed too?! wah wah wah wah...
  • by TallyChick Location: Tallahassee, FL on May 5, 2011 at 07:28 AM
    I'm all for keeping the cameras! I personally think twice before running a red light or trying to gun it through the intersection when the light is yellow. I think the cameras are a good thing and should stay. I do agree with the provision about not ticketing people who turn on red lights. Unless there is a sign at the intersection that says "No Turn on Red", people should be able to make a safe right turn when the light is red. I hope the cameras stay. They may need to work out some wrinkles, but nothing is perfect when it first comes out.
  • by DTH Location: Tallahassee on May 4, 2011 at 01:19 PM
    They were all FOR the Cameras last Year.............. Ohhhhhh I know, some Legislators Car must have received several Tickets........
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121182899 - wctv.tv/a?a=121182899