[UPDATE: Press Release Attahced] FHP: 18-Year Old Killed When Truck Overturns on I-10

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

[UPDATE] Jefferson County, FL -- March 23, 2012 --

An 18-year old is dead after a pick up truck flips over.

The accident happened this afternoon In Jefferson County on I-10.

Florida Highway Patrol says Jacob Richardson, 20, and Rachel Pinto, 18, were heading east when the truck went into the median. Richardson was at the wheel.and tried to correct his steering, but he lost control and the truck flipped several times.

The two were ejected since neither was wearing their seat belt. Both were transported to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. Pinto died of her injuries and at last check, Richardson is in good condition.

The exact cause of the accident remains under investigation.

-----------------------------------------

Jefferson County, FL -- March 23, 2012 --

Florida Highway Patrol reports an accident at mile marker 228 on Interstate 10 at around 3:11 pm Friday afternoon.

FHP says a car went off the road and both occupants were ejected from the vehicle. FHP says the injuries appear critical.

Traffic had been blocked, but as of 5:45pm, no lanes were closed.

No word yet on what caused the accident.

WCTV will bring you more information as it becomes available.

• by Rosanne on Mar 31, 2012 at 01:27 PM
    I am Rachels aunt and want to thank the nurse and suregon that stopped to help both Rachel and Jake. These two young people were and are sweet people. All I know is that Rachel Loved Jake very very much. And meeting him I can see why our family will always love this young man and his family.
  • by concern Location: tallahassee on Mar 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Although there are quite a few unnecessary comments on here that criticize Jake's driving ability and their use (or lack of) wearing seat belts, I have found that there is an abundance of human kindness showing through. I'll probably be criticized for anything I post, but I would like to say to Rachel's family and Jake that your story has made me believe in human kindness again and I will be praying for each of you. A special thanks goes out to the Dr. and nurse, the correction officers and to 'Tony Pons' for holding something up to shade them while they gave comfort.
  • by Terri on Mar 29, 2012 at 04:19 PM
    To all of you posting comments here: I am Rachel's aunt. Let it be know that Jacob is a wonderful young man. The Pinto family always has, and always will love this young man and his family. Both families have gotten strength from each other during this tragedy.
  • by Jake Location: Tallahassee on Mar 29, 2012 at 01:52 PM
    To everyone who has been supportive in this time of pain i want to say thank you. to all of the people who are ignorant enough to comment about what caused the accident or why w werent wearing our seatbelts, im glad you were there and remember more than i do. If you have something bad to say about me feel free to do so. but do it personally. come see me. id be glad to discuss whatever questions or "concerns" you may be harboring. Until you grow a pair and want to talk to me, keep your ignorance to yourself where it belongs. Again, thank you to everyone who has been there for me and for my baby girl.
      by Nurse on Mar 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM in reply to Jake
      Jake. My husband and I were there with you and Rachel on Friday, and just want you to know you all remain in our hearts and prayers. With love, Kimberly PS...Ignore ignorant people. They are not worth the effort.
  • by LCGRD Location: Lake City on Mar 27, 2012 at 06:40 PM
    OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH BOTH FAMILIES IN THIS TIME OF NEED. NOW IS NOT A TIME TO BE NEGITIVE BUT A TIME TO BE THANKFUL. THANKFUL FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DID NOT HESITATE TO HELP THESE TWO YOUNG PEOPLE AND THANKFUL FOR THE TIME GOD ALOWED RACHEL TO BE WITH HER FAMILY BUT ALWAYS KNOW SHE WILL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU SPIRITUALLY. MAY GOD BLESS AND OPEN YOUR HEARTS.
  • by cathy Location: jax on Mar 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    So sorry for the Pinto family's loss, Rachel had a bright future ahead of her. It's so tragic to lose someone so young. She is an angel now. The family is in my prayers.
  • by :( Location: lake city on Mar 26, 2012 at 08:55 PM
    I love you jake. Stay strong and praying for you and rachel's family.
  • by Teammate on Mar 26, 2012 at 08:33 PM
    *For the people with ignorant comments Jake is an outstanding youn man. He and I hung out every day his senior year and threw together every day as well. The last few times I have seen him he was with Rachel and one thing he would have never done is put her life in danger. Before you think he was just another college kid living invincible you need to know one thing. Jake is one of the most intelligent people you would ever know and also one of the truest friends someone can ask for. Praying for both families involved and to "mom" love you.
  • by Nurse Location: Gulf Breeze, Florida on Mar 26, 2012 at 04:10 PM
    My husband and I are the surgeon and nurse that stopped at the scene, as did many kind and caring individuals. God Bless all of you for your unselfish acts of kindness that day.
    The FHP, EMS, and flight crew that responded were top-notch. They did everything they could do to save Rachel and Jake.
    I haven't stopped thinking about Rachel, and probably never will. For those moments she was my child, and a piece of me went with her.
      by Terri on Mar 29, 2012 at 03:54 PM in reply to Nurse
      I won't call by name to protect your privacy, but I am Rachel's aunt. Not a day goes by that we don't think of you and thank you for what you did that day. The flower arrangement you sent was beautiful and after the ceremony several of us took roses off it (specifically YOUR arrangement) so that we would always have you and Rachel with us.
      by Rosanne on Mar 31, 2012 at 01:29 PM in reply to Nurse
      Thank you so much for holding and staying with my beautiful niece.
  • by Marie Dealing Location: Middleburg,Fl on Mar 26, 2012 at 02:09 PM
    I am happy to read that most of the people who commented on RACHEL PINTO & JAKE were understand to the families involved. I want to thank everyone who was there to help them. To REALIST & CORRECT I pray and hope you never go thru what those 2 families are going thru. I KNEW RACHEL PINTO and every parent in the USA would have been proud of a daughter like her. Read the FLORIDA TIMES UNION ORBIT. and learn about this wonderful young woman who lost her life to soon.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 144033496 - wctv.tv/a?a=144033496