[UPDATE] Fatal Car Accident on I-10

By: Eyewitness News Team Email
By: Eyewitness News Team Email

UPDATE 3-21 :6:20 pm --

FHP release the crash report which has been attached to this story.

---------------------

[UPDATE] 3-21 2:40pm --

New information is being released about a fatal accident that happened Saturday on Interstate 10.

The Florida Highway Patrol says an accident near the Sneads exit in Jackson County involving a 15-year-old driver was caused when he drifted into the median, over-corrected, and flipped his family's 2001-GMC Yukon several times.

The teen's parents were ejected from the SUV along with his 11-year-old brother who was pronounced dead at Jackson Hospital in Marianna, Florida.

The parents and teen driver are in critical condition at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital.

The family is from Cypress, Texas, but their names have not yet been released .

The teen was driving with a learner's permit.
________________________________

[UPDATE] 3-19 12:00 AM --

Florida Highway Patrol Press Release:

Vehicle 1 was traveling westbound on Interstate 10 in the left lane. The vehicle drifted onto the grass shoulder of the median. The vehicle was steered back to the right, over-correcting the steering of the
vehicle. This action caused the lose of control of the vehicle. The vehicle overturned several times, ejecting 3 of the 4 occupants. At this time it does not appear that the 3 ejected occupants were utilizing
the seat belts of vehicle 1. Passenger, John Doe 2 (a juvenile), was transported to Jackson Hospital where he was pronounced deceased. The other 3 occupants were transported to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital in critical condition.
____________________________________________________________

Florida Highway Patrol has just confirmed that a car accident on I-10 has caused a fatality.

Our news team spoke with Sergeant David Drake who says that a 15-year old boy with his learner's permit was driving an SUV. His father, mother and 11-year old brother were also in the car. At around 2:30 in ther afternoon, the driver lost control of the vehicle while driving west on I-10 about a half mile from Exit 158.

The mother, father and brother were all ejected from the vehicle. The driver was the only person in the car wearing a seat belt. Sergeant Drake confirmed the 11-year old brother has died, while the mother and father were taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital in critical condition. The driver is also hurt.

Traffic was backed up several miles for hours, as drivers were made to take detours off of I-10. However, all streets are cleared now and all lanes are open again.

• by Lori L Kaszubinski Location: Summerville SC on Apr 13, 2011 at 07:19 PM
    I pray that Josh is able to find the peace he deserves. This was a tragic accident. I was one of the nurses that stopped. I was with the mom, Pam, and was talking to her. She was asking for Josh. I was trying to soothe her as the paramedic started an IV in her left arm. I let her know a whole lot of people were there helping her whole family. I will never forget this tragedy. I hope and pray Mike recovers and he and Josh are back home together to provide each other strength. May God bless this family.
  • by Janice Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada on Apr 9, 2011 at 09:02 PM
    We were about 20 vehicles down from where the accident occurred on our way home from Orlando. What was a beautiful,sunny afternoon suddenly turned sombre as we got bits & pieces as to why the traffic stopped. Until today we have wondered what happened to this family and now through this blog we know. How quickly things changed for this family but by many entries here it would seem they were believers so their destination after death was secured. Our prayers are with & for Joshua and Mike. Perhaps many people reflected that day about how uncertain this life is and how we need to be prepared to meet our Maker.
  • by Rose Location: Milton, FL on Apr 1, 2011 at 06:11 PM
    I was driving not far behind when this accident happened. We immediately started praying for them as I drove off the shoulder to go around. I stopped to ask if more help was needed but there was already 10 or more people helping while waiting for the ambulances and we didn't want to be in the way. We continue to pray for all of them.
  • by Mary Location: Ms on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to this family.Our family was on the way home from Orlando to Ms. We had been in the traffic for almost 2 hours and cut across the median to go back to the previous exit after we found out there had been a wreck.Upon returning home I found this news as to what had happened. My heart is saddened for the family.Thanks to the ONES giving UP-DATES. This is no place for the CRITICISMS .May the Lord give STRENGTH and PEACE during this time in the Brown family.
  • by Marie Location: Houston on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Lord, we call upon you to send your Angels of Life to the side of Mike. Heal his injuries Lord and restore his body to good health. Command his flesh and bones to heal. Open his eyes and strenghthen his muscles. Lord, we shout this command to You. Hear us Lord and give us this miracle. In Your name we pray. Amen.
  • by Sandy Location: Houston on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:15 PM
    Very sad news tonight. Doctors told the family last night that recovery for Pam was not possible, her injuries were just to great for her to overcome. Today all life support systems were removed and Pam joined Jeremy tonight in our Lords hands. Mike has made small improvements lets continue to pray for his recovery to continue. Pam's wishes were to have her organs donated, lets add all recipients to our prayers for quick recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Brown family and friends, my they find peace in knowing that Pam and Jeremy are together for eternity.
      by Tallahassee on Mar 31, 2011 at 09:06 AM in reply to Sandy
      Although it's sad news thank you for the update Sandy. I think about the family often and have been checking back here for updates.
      by Mary Ellen clark on May 14, 2011 at 01:05 PM in reply to Sandy
      I was in a car about a mile behind the very sad accident. I am 68 years old and was traveling alone with my four grandchildren, ages 14, 12,11 and 9. We were going from Sarasota to Birmingham. I knew I was driving with very precious cargo, four grandchildren. I have been keeping up with Josh and his family. My heart goes out to him. I have a 15 year old grand daughter and I know how hard growing up today is. I just pray that he can get through all of this. Please up date on him and on his Dad. thanks so much.
      by Janeen on May 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM in reply to Sandy
      How is Josh and Mike doing at this point? I still cant believe that this was real & that I witnessed the entire thing. My prayers still go out to the family and friends.
  • by Marie Location: Houston on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:52 PM
    Can we get an update on Mike and Pam? Thanks
  • by Jan Location: Wisconsin on Mar 29, 2011 at 05:59 PM
    We were held up for this accident for an hour and 20 minutes. Cars were travelling in excess of 75 mph consistently. It was evident that many were not in seat belts, as I commented on that to my husband. We were being passed like we were standing still. This is a very dangerous highway given the speed everyone travels and the chances they take, and I would avoid it at any cost in the future. There were many people out of cars and walking to the scene. I would hope that they were prevented from getting too close. Many were youngsters.
  • by Marie Location: Houston on Mar 28, 2011 at 08:59 PM
    O Lord, we call upon You in our time of sorrow, That You give us the strength and will to bear our heavy burdens, until we can again feel the warmth and love of Your divine compassion. Be mindful of us and have mercy on us while we struggle to comprehend life's hardships. Keep us ever in Your watch, til we can walk again with light hearts and renewed spirits.
      by ruth on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:06 AM in reply to Marie
      That is beautiful, the words just flow so well.
        by Marie on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:51 PM in reply to ruth
        Thanks Ruth - I keep reading all these words that judge, condem and proclaim others intelligence and all I can think about is the family and their heartache All I want to do is comfort them and try desperately to offer love and support to another young life cut short - Josh. His childhood is devestated and to me this is the greatest loss of the entire accident. His suffering is immense and his heart and spirit are crushed. Let us move forward with love and prayer.
          by Ruth on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:34 AM in reply to Marie
          I don't know any of those involved, was miles behind the accident when it happened but my heart goes out to this family. I have heard the news this morning about Pam and know how much harder this will be for the family and especially for Josh. But we have to believe that God has a plan and we might not know what it is right now but we have to believe.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 28, 2011 at 02:11 PM
    This family needs Prayers for Healing and Comfort, Not Judgement. It was an Accident!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118306429 - wctv.tv/a?a=118306429