[UPDATE] One Dead After Fiery Semi Truck Accident in Madison County

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

[UPDATE] Madison, Florida - May 1, 2012 - 9:50am

The unidentified driver that died in a April 20th accident in Madison County has been identified as Edward Gene Schreffler, 52 years of age from Ocala, Florida.

____________________________

[UPDATE] Madison, Florida - April 20, 2012 - 8:30pm

According the Florida Highway Patrol, two semi trucks were involved in a deadly early morning crash in Madison County. A semi truck and trailer was traveling northbound on State Road 53. The driver's identity has not yet been released. Another semi truck and trailer, driven by 48-year-old John Geiger of Branford, Florida, was traveling southbound on SR-53.

For unknown reasons, the semi driven by the unidentified driver entered the southbound lane and the left side of the truck struck the left side of Geiger's vehicle.

After impact, the unidentified driver's vehicle "jackknifed", caught on fire, and slid to a stop. That vehicle came to rest facing northerly on the west shoulder.

Geiger's vehicle overturned after impact and came to rest across SR-59 on its passenger's side.

The full report can be found in PDF format above.

___________________________

Madison, Florida - April 20, 2012 -

Story and pictures provided by Patrick Lightcap

On Friday, April 20, 2012 shortly after 1:00 AM, the Madison 911 Center received several calls about a tanker truck on fire on Hwy 53 South. Responding units from Madison Fire Rescue, Lee Fire Rescue, Madison County Sheriff's Office, Madison County Emergency Medical Services, and the Florida Highway Patrol found a tanker fully involved. An additional semi was located about 150 yards south of the fire completely across the highway on its side. The scene was located at 15072 South Highway 53. A search for the drivers revealed one of the drivers was deceased and the other was having chest pains and was treated by EMS personnel. FHP will be in charge of the traffic homicide investigation. The actual location is between I-10 and the Madison-Lafayette county line. The Florida Department of Transportation was requested to the scene because of the amount of debris and the road being completely blocked in both directions.

• by jim Location: tx on Apr 24, 2012 at 04:39 AM
    I didn't want to see this but i think for all of us that did we are looking for answers to this tragedy.i'll miss my little brother and know that there are few like him left ...r.i.p. Eddie u are loved by many
  • by Delbert Location: Steinbach, Mb on Apr 23, 2012 at 01:10 PM
    I'm trying to find a accident witch a friend of mine was involved in an toke his life, I heard Friday but im not sure. It was a man from Manitoba, what I have heard was he was driving truck in Texas. His name was John
  • by Gidget Fry Location: Ocala,FL on Apr 23, 2012 at 09:57 AM
    Eddie was my soul mate and I have lost my best friend..I don't know how I can possibly go on without him..I know he is riding with the angels now...I love you Eddie and I will see and hold you again one day.
  • by Brigitt Location: Carlisle, P. A. on Apr 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    I am very sorry to have heard you lost someone whom was such a wonderful friend. To all of his family and friends who are suffering threw these unspeakable times. May you honor his good name . Rest In Peace.
  • by steve Location: fl on Apr 22, 2012 at 07:40 AM
    One of the nicest guys i know...Rip fast Eddie
  • by Mountain Location: Ocala, Florida on Apr 21, 2012 at 03:31 PM
    Ed was the best and he will be deeply missed. My condolences go out to the family. Mountain, Elaine, and Harley.
  • by Mountain Location: Ocala, Florida on Apr 21, 2012 at 03:31 PM
  • by Kenny & Debby Location: Ocala, FL on Apr 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    Very sad...... our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Eddie was a wonderful man, and a friend of many. You will be so missed. RIP
  • by Dan Location: West Palm Beach on Apr 21, 2012 at 07:17 AM
    Fast Eddie was a man among men, few were even in his category and none were his equal. One of the most considerate, honest, and caring gentleman I have ever met. Everyone who has ever known him, even for a brief period of time, will agree, someone special has gone on too soon.
  • by Jerry Location: Palm Coast on Apr 21, 2012 at 06:36 AM
    I have only had the pleasure of knowing Ed for about 6 Years but he was very good to me. And when I was in need he was happy to step up and help. Just the kind of person we need more of in this world. That big smile will be thought of and missed. I wish the best to his Mother and Daughter and Marion. Ed will be missed. My prayers are with him and his family.. God Bless
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 148234765 - wctv.tv/a?a=148234765