Red Light Camera Repeal Green Lighted

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida

Tallahassee, Florida -- March 18, 2011 --

A House committee on Thursday gave a green light to a repeal of the statewide law approved last year that lets cities put up red light cameras. The bill (HB 4087), sponsored by Rep. Richard Corcoran, R-New Port Richey, passed despite several speakers from local governments who spoke in favor of continuing to allow the cameras. “I can give you some hard data that shows these cameras are working,” said Kathy Till, an Apopka city commissioner. The measure was narrowly approved 10-8 in the Economic Affairs Committee, with Republicans split on the issue. Most Democrats opposed it. The loss of the $158 fines would cost state and local governments, though legislative staff say its impossible to calculate the exact amount. Red light cameras in place since July of last year have resulted in cities remitting $8.4 million so far to the state. More than $7 million of that is general revenue. About another $7.6 million has gone to local governments as a result of red light tickets.

• by loss of freedom Location: state on Mar 19, 2011 at 04:20 AM
    the more laws you have, the less freedom you have !
  • by Surprise Location: leon county on Mar 19, 2011 at 03:47 AM
    Good. And I will do my best to vote & support those who did this and not vote for those that brought this evil scam to our town count on that. GRrrrrrrrrrr.
  • by Lip Cheese on Mar 18, 2011 at 07:59 PM
    Man, I had a close call today concerning these darn cameras. I was going through the light at Tennessee and Monroe when it changed to orange. I floored it and swerved between 2 Granny drivers and made it through. I think they got flashed though because they slammed on the brakes when I cut them off. Sorry Grannies, I don't want a ticket. I have to get a turbo though, my old Chevy almost did not have enough power.
  • by Thank You on Mar 18, 2011 at 02:49 PM
    I'm glad they decided to do the right thing.
  • by Money Scheme on Mar 18, 2011 at 02:17 PM
    The fact that they significantly reduced the yellow light time to catch people indicates this was a money scheme from the start and little to do with safety.
  • by Abnormal Location: Tallahassee on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    Statistics printed just yesterday show that the number of accidents in Tallahassee at these intersections have not gone down since the installation of the cameras. Therefore, you can't claim that as a justification for having them. Many of the violations have been coming from the no right turn off Tennessee onto Capital Circle. Anyone who has turned there knows its a trap because the crossbar is a full 40 feet before the light.
      by .. on Mar 18, 2011 at 02:41 PM in reply to Abnormal
      I have noticed that as well! It's a trap and they are reaping the benefits from it
  • by LeonRes Location: Tallahassee on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    I thought the whole red light camera issue was supposed to be about SAFETY. The article makes it sound like it was really about the revenue. Frankly, I hope it is repealed, because I get an uneasy feeling nowadays about "Big Brother" watching us. We are photographed in every store, gas station, park, at work, and now enroute to our homes or jobs. Enough is enough!
      by 00 on Mar 18, 2011 at 02:40 PM in reply to LeonRes
      I completely agree with you. That is all the red light cameras are about otherwise they would take it down. Safety...is just a coverup. It is all about generating revenue!
  • by John Location: Tallahassee on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    I am 75 Years old. I have been driving for 60 years or more. I have never had a ticket. The cameras are unconstitutional. Our founders are probably rolling in their graves.
      by Tally on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:46 AM in reply to John
      I totally agree!
  • by Bob Location: Jasper on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    And when they repeal it are they personally going to repay us taxpayers for the cost of the cameras already in use?
  • by tom Location: madison on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    liberty strikes another blow at big brother
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118238929 - wctv.tv/a?a=118238929