[UPDATE] TPD: Traffic Crash Fatality

By: TPD Release; Lanetra Bennett Email
By: TPD Release; Lanetra Bennett Email

Updated 12-30 6:09pm

An afternoon traffic crash turns deadly, when according to Tallahassee Police, a man died soon after being hit by a car.

Tallahassee Police say 37-year-old Demarcus McBride was killed Wednesday afternoon.

A few people who were working nearby who say they'd just spoken to McBride as he walked by them. Then, all of a sudden they heard a loud sound, and turned to see McBride lying in the street.

Police say McBride was struck at the intersection of Adams and Jakes & Patterson Streets in Tallahassee.

When officers arrived on scene a little around 3:12 Wednesday afternoon, they say it appeared McBride had walked into the path of a car traveling north on Adams.

Witnesses say when they realized McBride had been hit, they immediately ran to his aid.

Jimmy Lee Fields said, "The last word he kept saying, help me, help me, help me. I said, brother, I'm here with you, I'm here with you, I'm here with you. He was trying to get up and I kept holding him down, holding him down until the ambulance got there and the police."

McBride was taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital due to critical injuries. Police say he succumbed to his injuries at about 9:00 Wednesday night.

Witnesses say McBride was walking home after leaving work at nearby Dog Etal.

Fields says McBride always exchanged fun words with him and the other men who worked in that area as he walked by.

No word on any charges at this time.

Police say the investigation is ongoing and alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, at approximately 3:12PM, the Tallahassee Police Department responded to South Adams Street and Jakes Patterson Street, in reference to a traffic crash with injuries. Upon arrival, officers discovered that 37 year-old Demarcus D. McBride appeared to have walked into the path of a vehicle traveling north on Adams Street. Mr. McBride was transported to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital due to critical injuries. The investigation is ongoing and alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash.

Last night, at approximately 9:00PM, Mr. McBride succumbed to his injuries.

This incident was separate from the story we originally covered yesterday: "TPD at Scene of Pedestrian Versus Vehicle Accident"

• by Priscilla Location: Quincy on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    R.I.P.....Class of 9T1 Tiger "Demarcus"
  • by Charles Location: Orlando, Fl on Jan 2, 2011 at 04:47 PM
    Mickey, you will be missed my boy. R.I.P. fellow classmember(James A. Shanks High 9T1).
  • by a mama on Jan 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    This is very sad. My heart goes out to all of the family and friends involved. Drivers please pay attention to people trying to cross the street. It doesn't matter if they are jay walking, your stomp on the brakes could make a difference in saving a life. Have patience and be aware of your surroundings.
  • by Your Girl Kesha... Location: Tallahassee, Fl on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    A man with a big heart has gone on to be with the lord...inspite of how it happened god makes no mistakes! To the family I say "hold your heads up and knw that Mickey wouldnt want yall to cry but smile with him and knw he is in a better place". Just continue to love each other and remember all the good times with him! Im Praying your strength in God! R.I.P. DeMarcus Mickey Mcbride, we love you and miss you dearly......
  • by Mary Sparrowdancer Location: Tallahassee on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM
    Adams and Monroe streets are difficult to cross by pedestrians. Monroe Street gives people nanoseconds to cross all the lanes of traffic before the drivers get the green light. I have had my clothing and coat struck by drivers who have received the green light and thought that their green light means I am invisible, or expendable. These were all hit-and-run drivers. They do not care.
  • by Cedric Location: Denver on Dec 30, 2010 at 08:10 PM
    "Mickey" Demarcus McBride I Love You, You were the one I could always call on to talk about whatever... As well as vice versa, I will really miss you.
  • by brian Location: quincy on Dec 30, 2010 at 01:16 PM
    cuz you will be missed by your family
  • by brian Location: quincy on Dec 30, 2010 at 01:10 PM
    your family will miss you see you up there one day cuz
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112661909 - wctv.tv/a?a=112661909