Teen Girl Killed After Panhandle Car Chase, Crash

By: Associated Press; Bryan Anderson
By: Associated Press; Bryan Anderson

Wausau,FL - It all started around 6:00 Friday morning at the Express Lane Gas Station in Panama City Beach. Police said Jalen Andrews, James Boatright, Dzesmion Teague, and Catrell Ford, 16 years old, in a stolen Chevy Malibu, tried to carjack an innocent driver.

"She (innocent driver) rolled up her windows, locked the doors, and drove around to the front of the store where she could get some help," said Panama City Beach Police Chief Robert Harding.

Minutes later, investigators said the four suspects drove to a Texaco Gas Station on Back Beach Road, stole a silver mustang, and headed north on Highway 77, leading Bay and Washington County Sheriff's Deputies on a chase.

They said Andrews and Ford, who were in the Malibu, lost control of the car and crashed into a ditch off 77. He was seriously hurt, Ford was killed.

"They wrecked that vehicle on what we call Carter Hill and Rodgers Road," said Washington County Sheriff Bobby Haddock.

Meanwhile, as deputies continued to chase Boatright and Teague in the mustang, it too crashed and they said both Boatright and Teague tried to run. They captured Teague within minutes, but Boatright made his way into the woods.

"We called for the Bay County Sheriff Office's helicopter and we also lined the roads," said Haddock.

With the help of k-9 units, deputies said they arrested him within an hour and a half. And while the investigation continued Friday, the owner of the mustang said he's glad to have his car back and relieved the suspects were caught.

"There was one fatality, so that's bad. But I mean that's what happens when you're doing something you're not supposed to," said mustang owner Brian Burnett.

As of Friday afternoon, Teague and Boatright were in the Washington County Jail and Andrews was still at Bay Medical Center.

-----------------------------------------

Chipley, FL (AP) - One teenage girl is dead and three young
men have been arrested following a lengthy Panhandle car chase
involving many law enforcement agencies.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office says the incident started
early Friday on Panama City Beach when a woman reported an
attempted carjacking.

The suspects were then connected to the theft of another car
moments later at a convenience store.

Different law enforcement officers then chased the stolen car
and the suspects' original car.

One car crashed and the passenger, a 16-year-old female, was
killed. The driver, a 17-year-old male, was seriously injured.

The second car struck a Washington County Sheriff's Office
vehicle before crashing into another car. The 22-year-old driver
and 19-year-old passenger were arrested.

The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by GAINESVILLE on Oct 17, 2011 at 05:10 PM
    Ms. Carmen, I work at the middle school here in Gainesville,Fl that Catrell attended, I am so sorry for your loss, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.You stay strong and may God be with you and get you and your family through this hard painful time. Catrell will be truly missed and never forgotten. I am truly hurt and saddened to here of her passing I got to know her really well during her time at the school. No words can ease the pain that you are enduring at this moment but always know no matter how hard things may get for you and your family God is always with you turn to him and let him began to heal your heart. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. May God bless you and keep you. CATRELL MAY YOU REST IN PEACE!!!!
      by TJ on Oct 19, 2011 at 05:39 AM in reply to GAINESVILLE
      Thanks for posting this.
  • by Sara on Oct 17, 2011 at 09:32 AM
    Not to sound harsh, but for those of you saying he should be charged with manslaughter are wrong. She CHOSE to get in the car...she CHOSE to assist in robbing from innoccent people. She did not deserve to die...but she CHOSE to put herself in a risky situation and she paid with her life. I do feel sorry for her family....and hope they all heal in time.
      by TJ on Oct 19, 2011 at 05:38 AM in reply to Sara
      I disagree, and that's okay. I feel the driver is responsible when he chose to run from the cops and each time he took an evasive maneuver.
  • by carmen on Oct 16, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    Catrell Ford is my daughter. I received the phone call that any mother dreads. I am so broken hearted. I did not know these young men but I pray they burn in hell. They took my baby away from me and her other four siblings. I only have memories. They lost their freedom and she lost her life. My heart is so heavy. Please pray for me and my family.
      by TJ on Oct 17, 2011 at 05:31 AM in reply to carmen
      Sorry for your loss. Observation from earlier though: Carmen, the mom, says she doesn't know these guys but starlin says Andrews had known Catrell for a long time, considering her his little sister.
        by carmen on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM in reply to TJ
        See there are alot of things that people don't know...for instance...Catrell ran away from home the day before thanksgiving in 2010....we lived in gainesville florida.....I have not seem catrell since 2010...she was suppose to be living with her father...these people she was with were not ANY relation to her in ANY way...I can assure you of that...We moved to Gainesville when catrell was 10 years old...This Andres person is a liar...The white car that they were riding in was stolen BEFORE they picked Catrell up...we don't know what she knew...so lets leave all assumptions alone...We dont know what part she played in any of this, but according to the FHP the suspects stated that she had no knowledge that the white car was stolen...just felt the need to say this.
          by CoraB on Oct 17, 2011 at 02:18 PM in reply to carmen
          Ms. Carmen I did not know Catrell personally but what I will say is you do not have to defend your daughter. No One knows what really happened except her and the 3 males that are charged! Although nothing can amount to her life and she , no matter what crime she commited (if she committed any),did not deserve to lose her life. In due time you will be at peace! No one can or will replace her! Just cherish the sweet memories!Just keep your head up! I cant tell you not to worry because I have never been in this situation for I am only 15! I will be praying for you!
        by I am sorry. on Oct 17, 2011 at 07:36 PM in reply to TJ
        TJ, let it go. Ok. I feel awful for her.
          by TJ on Oct 19, 2011 at 05:35 AM in reply to I am sorry.
          I was quick to express my sorrow for the loss. The disparity in information was quickly cleared up by Carmen's subsequent post, but I do regret her feeling like she needed to explain to the extent she did. Sad end to a life too short. Carmen, you do have my sincere condolences.
      by Nick on Oct 17, 2011 at 09:36 AM in reply to carmen
      So sorry for your loss. That is something no parent should ever have to go through. But, if you are truly a christian and pray, please do not wish they burn in hell. God will judge them for what they have done.
      by I am sorry on Oct 17, 2011 at 07:33 PM in reply to carmen
      Carmen, I am sorry for my rash comments. Sometimes we just get so caught up in the story, we don't stop to think before we type. I am so sorry for your loss. No parent should have to bury their child. I feel horrible for what I said. Please forgive me. I guess that just goes to show me we all make mistakes. God bless you.
  • by Steve Location: Not in Marietta on Oct 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Well the only description I can put on this crime is "bound and determined!" They were obviously not going home quietly into the night. They made two attempts within minutes! That's determination. Now lock these others-up and try them for her death! It's the right thing to do.
  • by n/a Location: n/a on Oct 15, 2011 at 05:33 PM
    i am so sorry a little girl lost her life in the accident
  • by TJ on Oct 15, 2011 at 04:47 PM
    Andrews needs to be charged with manslaughter, at the least. I do have sympathy for the Ford family.
      by starlin on Oct 16, 2011 at 07:18 PM in reply to TJ
      andrews has been knowning her sence she was little he considered her 2 b his sister.. do you really think he meant 4 her 2 die? how would you feel if you had a sister dat died in you was driving thats punishment enough 2 have to live with that. he dont need people like you tryna take his whole life away
        by TJ on Oct 17, 2011 at 05:26 AM in reply to starlin
        I didn't say murder, I said manslaughter. He intentionally committed several crimes of his own choosing and put her at risk by doing so. He is responsible here, both emotionally and legally.
          by Adam on Oct 17, 2011 at 09:35 AM in reply to TJ
          She CHOSE to get in the car and was probably a part of planning these crimes. Its a sad situation but she knew what she was doing most likely so no one is to blame but herself. Those boys will be punished for the crimes they committied.
        by Mark on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM in reply to starlin
        If he considered her to be his sister, why did he intentionally put her in such danger? He murdered her just as sure as if he shot her. "People like you (us)" are not trying to take his life away, HE THREW IT AWAY. We are just the instrument Andrews chose. I hope he never gets out, because she is never coming back. He should pay at least that price.
          by Chea on Oct 18, 2011 at 02:57 PM in reply to Mark
          Ok Check this Out ! Jalen , Boatwright, And catrell were all bestfriends ! some say they stole the car to take catrell back home , because the day before she died she got jumped on hardy street ! so being the friends that they were they wanted to get her out of dothan ! so everybody need to shut the hell up about jalen and baotwright because they was there for catrell when NOBODY was
  • by Medicaid, SSI, Foodstamps on Oct 15, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    Those programs turn out these types of people. Children born for profit is not a good government program. Stop the exploitation of children. Children should be born because they are wanted not because someone is trying to get a check. We should not be paying people to have children. They do not want to parent and this is what the results are. They just want a check. Stop turning out madness
      by granny on Oct 15, 2011 at 02:56 PM in reply to Medicaid, SSI, Foodstamps
      i cannot believe you said this, you are a terrible thoughtless person, you must have brains of a pig, because a fellow man or woman would not have said that!unlees you are a pig !!!
        by You are living a shelter life and not seeing the real impact of what those progams do to iru society on Oct 16, 2011 at 06:02 AM in reply to granny
        Those programs allow the money hungry, drug addicted, low life, ill moral people to exploit children for their personal profit. Oh you think those type of people have some rule stick that states I’ll sell children into prostitution, but I will not deliberately impregnate them for profit. Oh ok. Or maybe you don’t think the sex industry is not a million dollar industry. I get not all are doing that, but if just one is doing that, and believe me it is more than just one, they need to end the programs. No 12 year old girl should be made in to a baby factory so some low life scum can profit off of her babies and that is what happening. Look around you. You see young 12 yr old, underage pregnant girls everywhere you just tell your selves they did it to themselves. They did not do it to them selves. It was done to them for someone else’s profit and you, the tax payer enable it to happen by funding it. It is your money that is lining the ill disputes pockets. That cult leader in Texas charged with raping multiple young girls was doing exactly that. He was deliberately impregnating them so he could collect the Welfare checks and other government subsidies their pregnancy would bring. Then when the babies are born, they are killing them and keeping the money. There a whole grave yard of unreported dead babies in that town. That case was just the tip of the Iceberg. There are entire ecommunities in this country where almost the entire community is participating in this welfare fraud and or participating in covering it up
  • by Chitt'lin Location: PC on Oct 15, 2011 at 06:58 AM
    Goooooo Sheriff Keith! Send them all back to L.A. .... in a box!!!! Thank you deputies and dog handlers.
  • by Go Navy on Oct 14, 2011 at 07:07 PM
    Only a few short years ago, they were screaming up and down the isles at a local restaurant while the inept partents tried to cajole 'em into behaving with worlds like "please" and "thank you" when what they needed was to have their butts kicked. Now the parents have precisely what they engineered: outlaws headed for prision with one of 'em already in the morgue.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 14, 2011 at 05:07 PM
    Live by the gun, die by the gun.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131889418 - wctv.tv/a?a=131889418