Three Motorists Report Striking Bears With Their Vehicles

By: WCSO Release
By: WCSO Release

Crawfordville, Florida -

The Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office reminds motorists to be careful on the highways while the weather is transitioning from the warmer summer weather to cooler fall temperatures.

In the last week the sheriff’s office has responded to three calls for service involving bears in the road. All of the calls were received between 4:05 a.m. and 4:34 a.m. Three motorists reported striking bears with their vehicles. Two of the three bears were killed, but there were no injuries reported by motorists.

On Oct. 16, a 250 to 300 pound bear was struck on the Sopchoppy Highway near Pink Green Road. On Oct. 21, a motorist reported striking a bear near U.S. Highway 98 and Highway 365. The bear returned to a wooded area at 4:24 a.m. On Oct. 24, a bear was reported dead in the road on U.S. Highway 98 north of Panacea. The report was received at 4:34 a.m.

Deer are also on the move and reports of motorists striking deer on Wakulla County roads have also been received. “Slow down and take extra precautions if you are driving late at night or early in the morning to avoid a collision with wildlife,” said Sheriff Donnie Crum.

• by One Day... Location: Somewhere.... on Oct 25, 2011 at 07:17 AM
    I will see a bear in the wild! 26 years of looking with no luck.
  • by june Location: fl on Oct 24, 2011 at 07:40 PM
    slow down and pay attention. the bear has as much a right on this earth as you. probly done more for the world than most humans.
  • by willie on Oct 24, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    bear ,,killed my dog last week ,,,called the people ,,they said bears do not do that ,,ok mr. bear ,,,,my 30-30 is looking for you ...
  • by Anonymous on Oct 24, 2011 at 05:46 PM
    So who is driving around in Wakulla County hitting wild animals at 4am instead of sleeping? - must be drug dealers, pot growers and beer guzzlers who dont work that will go home and sleep until 2pm.
      by JS on Oct 25, 2011 at 04:46 AM in reply to
      Well anonymus sounds like your an expert on doing drugs,dealing in drugs and staying drunk, must be talking from personal experience. I get up that time of the morning to go to work unlike you I am a productive member of society and don't have to say stupid things like that.
        by Jack Straw on Oct 25, 2011 at 06:57 AM in reply to JS
        Yeah, but you don't know the difference between "you're" and "your" - how smart does that make you?
          by JS on Oct 25, 2011 at 09:51 AM in reply to Jack Straw
          Don't matter, makes me smarter than you will ever be morron everyone including you hits the wrong key every once in a while but oh your perfect and don't make mistakes only one being never made a mistake and they crucified him for that.So go back in your little fantasy world because you are the only one who who thinks your special.
      by Really? on Oct 25, 2011 at 06:06 AM in reply to
      Don't you know that some hospital shifts begin and end at 3:00 am? I'm sure there are other jobs that do too. Stop being so presumptuous.
  • by anon on Oct 24, 2011 at 05:39 PM
    I saw a huge one crossing 319 by the wakulla leon line and it was broad daylight. If he hadn't been moving so fast he would have wiped out three cars.
      by iamdaman on Oct 24, 2011 at 07:45 PM in reply to anon
      Oh yeah? Well I saw a bigger one, and he would have wiped out 5 cars and 2 of those fellas with the tight britches on bicycles.
      by shadow on Oct 25, 2011 at 04:04 AM in reply to anon
      I saw one in a green jacket accepting some kind of appointment from Gov. Scott.
      by me too on Oct 25, 2011 at 06:19 AM in reply to anon
      I saw one dating casey anthony on st. george island
  • by Anonymous on Oct 24, 2011 at 04:09 PM
    a few years ago I was driving down near Buckeye and we saw a dead panther on the side of the road. It's a shame people and animals can't coexist.
  • by anon Location: wakulla on Oct 24, 2011 at 04:06 PM
    Them bears better be on the lookout for old hit and run Harvey.
  • by TK on Oct 24, 2011 at 03:49 PM
    Well. I, for one, enjoyed the bear I had here. I did not feed him/her but saw it quite regularly rooting around my place. It was eating all the grapes growing around here in profusion. Someone went and ruined that by hitting it and then it wandered off into the woods mortally wounded I'm sure. This is so sad.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 24, 2011 at 01:30 PM
    Do everyone, including the bears, a good turn -- OPEN A SEASON!!!
      by len on Oct 24, 2011 at 02:22 PM in reply to
      amen and open it year around and the same for deer,,,they are taking over ..
        by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 05:19 AM in reply to len
        OK, I am thinking you might possibly be why they started passing game laws in the 1st place. :)
  • by This is unbearable! on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    I've seen 2 bears this year in Wakulla. Both were in wooded residential neighborhoods. I haven't seen any before, although I have seen evidence they were around. Maybe I am lucky to have had a chance to see them or maybe their numbers are on the rise. Both times were late afternoon, but well before dark.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132471648 - wctv.tv/a?a=132471648