Sonny’s Sweet sauce
The biggest complaint most people have with ribs is that they turn out dry and tough. The 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs nearly guarantees you tender, fall off the bone ribs without a lot of extra effort. All you need to use this method is a big sheet of aluminum foil and apple juice. Everything else follows the normal process of smoking ribs.
3-2-1 Basics: If you know how to smoke pork ribs, then all you need to know about the 3-2-1 method is that you smoke as normal for 3 hours, followed by 2 hours cooking wrapped in foil, and finally 1 more hour unwrapped. This gives the meat time to soak in smoke during the first three hours, when most smoke is absorbed. During the wrapped period the ribs are steamed, making them more tender and loosening the meat from the bone. During the last hour the ribs are exposed to the dry, smoky heat again to form a surface crust.
The Specific Steps:
1. Prep the ribs by removing the membranes and applying your rib rub
2. Place ribs, bone side down in smoker at 225 degrees F. and cook for three hours
3. Wrap ribs and 4 ounces of apple juice tightly in aluminum foil to form an airtight seal, return to smoker bone side up and smoke for 2 hours
4. Unwrap ribs and return to smoker bone side down for 1 hour
5. Apply Sonny’s Sweet sauce to ribs during the last 30 to 20 minutes of the cooking time
6. Let the Ribs rest for at least 10 minutes and serve them to your guests for a mouthwatering experience.
I know this is a lot of work so your other option is to join us at Sonny’s for our tender fall off the bone Baby Back Ribs or meaty Spare Ribs cooks by our Pit Masters.