Black Beans over Coconut-Lime Rice
Toppings: diced mango, sliced radishes, sliced fresh jalapeño peppers, sour cream
About 400 calories; 9 grams fat
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
1 teaspoon Canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
2. To prepare coconut rice, combine rice, water, ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper and coconut milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring once. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and red pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in black beans, chili powder, cumin, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
4. Grate zest from 1 lime, avoiding pale bitter pith, into a bowl; squeeze juice from1 lime into bowl. Cut the other lime into wedges.
5. Fluff rice with a fork. Fold lime zest and juice, green onions, and cilantro into hot cooked rice. Serve bean mixture over rice with 1 tablespoon toasted coconut, a lime wedge and desired toppings.