Butter, cold 7 oz
Granulated sugar 2 oz
Buttermilk 4 oz
Sour cream (sub yogurt) 8 lb
Salt .3 oz (.5 Tbs)
Vanilla extract .25 oz (.5 Tbs)
All-purpose or pastry flour 1 lb
Dried cherries, macerated in orange juice* 8 oz
Chocolate chunks 4.5 oz
*macerate – cover with orange juice and leave overnight, or simmer briefly and soak 15 minutes
Chill a mixer bowl and paddle attachment in the freezer for 15 minutes.
2. Cut the butter into ¼” cubes and refrigerate
3. Whisk together sugar, buttermilk, yogurt, salt and vanilla, refrigerate
4. Place flour and baking powder into mixer bowl, put butter on top and mix until the mixture resembles coarse corn meal
5. Add the buttermilk mixture and mix briefly, until just combined. Add the chocolate and cherries and mix until just combined
6. Divide the dough into 3 - 1 lb pieces. Press each dough piece into an 6” disk.
7. Cut each disk of dough into 8 wedges, place 2” apart onto parchment-lined baking sheet
8. Bake at 375°F until light golden brown, approximately 18 minutes. When cool, dust with powdered sugar and serve.